Forums Latest Members

Saw this 105.012-65 for sale - thoughts appreciated.

1. Mozziebite Sep 3, 2017

I keep my eyes open for a nice "birth-year" watch, and saw this one online. Straight away it seems not entirely original (in far too nice shape to be, surely). The bezel looks like a new one (no DON, for a start). The sub-dial hands look like they might be original, but the chronograph seconds hand is squared off at the bottom, whereas any other pics of this model I've seen have the angular one. It also seems fractionally longer than others. Aside from that, my eye isn't trained enough to spot any other issues. I'm sure there are far more knowledgable folks who might like to advise.

Here's the description and pics from the listing. Any help and advice appreciated.

New to the market, first time sale in 50 years.

Case reference 105.012-65

In perfect working condition, with brand new black leather strap with genuine Omega buckle.

This watch will also include genuine Omega metal bracelet also in perfect condition with new spring bars.

The watch has just under gone a complete service and renovation, with a complete dismantle of the movement with a Complete ultrasonic clean and rebuild.

Case Polished to original shine and new seals fitted and regulated.

All work carried out by professional time served watch maker.

Unfortunately I do not have the original box or papers

Chance to acquire one of the worlds most iconic watches of the 20th century, will not disappoint.

£5500

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. bhove Sep 3, 2017

Looks nice, the bezel, crown and seconds marker are newer replacements, quite heavy polished lugs. You should check that the serial number is within the correct range for this reference, though. [emoji106]

Edited Sep 3, 2017
    oddboy likes this.
  3. Mozziebite Sep 3, 2017

Thanks. I've already asked the seller if he could take a pic of the serial no. Any idea of what is a good price for an example like this? I really have no idea about vintage prices.. :unsure:

4. Steve1haggart Sep 3, 2017

the case back looks as if someone has attacked is we a Dremel to remove the inscription . there's better examples out there, this one has to many issues give it a body swirve IMOA.

Kmart, bhove and oddboy like this.
  5. bhove Sep 3, 2017

Hard to say. It depends on the originality. As a collectors item the bezel, polish and incorrect second hand and crown reduce the price significantly IMHO. You can get a good impression of the market price by checking ebay, OF, chrono 24 and similar sales sites.

Mozziebite and Steve1haggart like this.
  6. Oku Sep 3, 2017

This should help:
    http://speedmaster101.com/price-chart-2/

I don't recall the prices for each spare part, but a DON bezel alone is above 1-1.5k Euros. If you have a look in the sales corner, there are two for sale.

bhove and Mozziebite like this.
  7. Mozziebite Sep 3, 2017

Thanks guys. I'll give it a pass...