Omega Seamaster Bracelet vs. Rolex Submariner Bracelet

In every video I watch, one detractor for the Seamaster is the fact that the bracelet isn't as good as the Rolex. Everyone complains about the fact that it doesn't tapper and is therefore inferior. I've never worn a Sub bracelet, but I've been wearing my Seamaster on bracelet for almost 3 years and have never had an issue and it's the most comfortable bracelet I've every worn. I don't understand the slight again Omega. Can someone help me out?

I can’t. I have a 2018 SMPc and the bracelet is by far the most comfortable that I have worn on a modern watch. The lack of taper doesn’t bother me. It’s far more comfortable than the bracelets that came with my Speedmaster Pros (three models over the years) or my Constellation Globemaster. The only Omega bracelet that I’ve experienced that is better is the number 12/1039 beads of rice bracelet on my 1964 Constellation - that one is the bomb, but long since out of production. Not being a Rolex fan, I can’t speak to the pros and cons of the Submariner bracelet except to say that I’m sure that it’s expensive and that no Rolex AD has one. 🙄

In every video I watch, one detractor for the Seamaster is the fact that the bracelet isn't as good as the Rolex. Everyone complains about the fact that it doesn't tapper and is therefore inferior. I've never worn a Sub bracelet, but I've been wearing my Seamaster on bracelet for almost 3 years and have never had an issue and it's the most comfortable bracelet I've every worn. I don't understand the slight again Omega. Can someone help me out?

Here’s the deal. I own an 38mm AT 150m with a SS bracelet. Gorgeous blue dial! In fact, I’ve had it for less than a week and it’s become my daily driver over the Rolex Sub 114060 or even my Datejust.

The AT has a lot going for it that overcomes some of its shortcomings with the SS bracelet. The only shortcoming in my view is that it doesn’t have the micro adjustment capabilities of the Ceramic Sub’s glidelock. You can adjust the Sub’s glidelock bracelet for the perfect fit to size your wrist during the day without taking out any of the spacers or links. Advantage Rolex but only for the micro adjustment capability of newer post 2012 Sub models.

But, the Omega’s bracelet is also top notch, actually it’s wider and more shiny than the Sub 114060’s and I’ve had no complaints once it was sized up and fitted by the AD when purchased new. I wear the AT on the wrist as wide as the Datejust. I run the Sub slightly more fitted.

Bottom line to me, the AT is more comfortable and less heavy/bulky on the wrist than the Sub. It’s as comfortable as my 36mm Datejust with the jubilee bracelet. I may not be able to micro adjust the AT’s bracelet as I can with my Sub but so what! It still feels and fits great.

No complains here, and most of my watches are SMP's. "Bond" bracelets are comfortable and I like its non tapered symmetrical look.
I guess the biggest complains come from Rolex Kool-Aid drinkers.

The AT has a lot going for it that overcomes some of its shortcomings with the SS bracelet. The only shortcoming in my view is that it doesn’t have the micro adjustment capabilities of the Ceramic Sub’s glidelock. You can adjust the Sub’s glidelock bracelet for the perfect fit to size your wrist during the day without taking out any of the spacers or links. Advantage Rolex but only for the micro adjustment capability of newer post 2012 Sub models.

I agree that the shortcoming of AT bracelet not having glidelock. The glidelock system seems great but the micro-adjustments on the Seamaster bracelet is also great.

Weight is the primary factor for why I prefer Rolex oysters to the modern Seamaster bracelets. I find the Bond bracelet even from 2 generations ago (on the 2220.80) to be noticeably too heavy. Especially relative to the weight of the watch case. The current-generation Seamaster bracelets are even heavier.

The most comfortable Seamaster bracelet I had was the Speedy-style one, on a 2254.50. It wasn't so hefty, and the weight of that bracelet + clasp felt perfectly in proportion with its thinner case, housing the caliber 1120.

I don't understand why Omega designed their modern bracelets to weigh so much. Maybe the newer co-axial movements were drivers to bulk up the bracelets, since the watch cases themselves grew taller to house the movements? I miss how thin the 2254 is. The stainless-steel bracelet for my Globemaster is also unnecessarily heavy, reminding me all day that I have a chunk of metal on my wrist. In contrast, my 36mm Oyster Perpetual just disappears because it's so light & comfortable.

The all-steel bracelets on the 2 Seamasters still in my collection (a 2220.80, and a 43.mm Planet Ocean) each feels heftier than 2-tone oyster bracelet on my 6-digit Bluesy sub, which has solid gold center links.

Weight is the primary factor for why I prefer Rolex oysters to the modern Seamaster bracelets. I find the Bond bracelet even from 2 generations ago (on the 2220.80) to be noticeably too heavy. Especially relative to the weight of the watch case. The current-generation Seamaster bracelets are even heavier.

The most comfortable Seamaster bracelet I had was the Speedy-style one, on a 2254.50. It wasn't so hefty, and the weight of that bracelet + clasp felt perfectly in proportion with its thinner case, housing the caliber 1120.

I don't understand why Omega designed their modern bracelets to weigh so much. Maybe the newer co-axial movements were drivers to bulk up the bracelets, since the watch cases themselves grew taller to house the movements? I miss how thin the 2254 is. The stainless-steel bracelet for my Globemaster is also unnecessarily heavy, reminding me all day that I have a chunk of metal on my wrist. In contrast, my 36mm Oyster Perpetual just disappears because it's so light & comfortable.

The all-steel bracelets on the 2 Seamasters still in my collection (a 2220.80, and a 43.mm Planet Ocean) each feels heftier than 2-tone oyster bracelet on my 6-digit Bluesy sub, which has solid gold center links.

I can't speak to the 2254, 2220, or PO but the last 2 generations of Seamaster aren't overly heavy in my opinion. The hefty feels appropriate to the size and weight of the watch head. The case and movement are thicker than the Sub and maybe this makes the bracelet thicker and heavier than the Sub the bracelet. I guess I've gotten used to the weight and don't mind it, not sure.

Thank you for the insight.

I guess the biggest complains come from Rolex Kool-Aid drinkers.

I think this accounts for some of the answer.

If the weight of a Seamaster bracelet is bothering you, there are two choices:

1. hit the gym
2. get a Rolex

::stirthepot::

The only Omega bracelet that I’ve experienced that is better is the number 12/1039 beads of rice bracelet on my 1964 Constellation - that one is the bomb, but long since out of production.

3010 is the current version.

3010 is the current version.
Yes, I’m aware. I don’t care for it as much as its vintage counterpart.

I have a 216570 Exp. II, SMPc, and a Planet Ocean 43.5. The finish and craftsmanship on all are comparable. And the clasps are finished extraordinarily well on all three. The Rolex bracelet to me is superior only in the design. I do prefer the taper on the Rolex over the non tapered SMPc, and the minimally tapered PO. Asthetically the SMPc is dated with its five link design, and the PO bracelet is thicker than I would like. I wear both of the Omegas predominantly on rubber straps because I prefer the look and wear the Rolex on bracelet only. All that said, i did like the Speedmaster Pro bracelet when I had it the Speedie, but the endlinks weren’t as well crafted in my opinion as the Seamasters or Rolex. Just my opinion.

There are two typical reactions when you follow watch related content. It can be broken down to these two things: Let's imagine a brand introduces a new watch. Regardless of how it wears, size, lug-to-lug or other things, people would immediately go for:

a) "It should be 39mm!"
b) "The bracelet should taper!"

It depends on what you prefer and how watches do look on your wrist. These things are just specifications. Personally I like the look of a tapered bracelet but I think it has become somewhat overrated in conversations. That said, the SMP bracelet is one of the best in the business when it comes to comfort on the wrist in my opinion. Just wear what you like and don't listen to people who want to tell you what you should like.

I like the clean look of the oyster bracelet a little better than the busy look of the Speedmaster and Seamaster styles. Every watch with a bracelet I even consider is subconsciously compared to it. This doesn't stop me from enjoying a Seamaster, particularly my 2254.50 or a Speedy.

The Seamaster Bond bracelets cross the line of too busy for my taste.

I only have two watches. A ceramic sub date, and a 39.5 mm planet ocean. I don’t have a preference for taper or no taper. For my wrist the planet ocean is more comfortable. Slightly heavier, but that doesn’t bother me. I do believe the micro adjustment on the planet ocean is better than the glide lock.

I can't speak to the 2254, 2220, or PO but the last 2 generations of Seamaster aren't overly heavy in my opinion. The hefty feels appropriate to the size and weight of the watch head. The case and movement are thicker than the Sub and maybe this makes the bracelet thicker and heavier than the Sub the bracelet. I guess I've gotten used to the weight and don't mind it, not sure.

Thank you for the insight.

The AT 38mm feels heavier with a SS bracelet than a 36mm Datejust as it should. But this AT is lighter on the wrist than any 40mm or 41mm Sub. There are other watches with titanium cases that are much lighter and insubstantial on the wrist. To me the new AT is just the right balance.

All a matter of taste. I'm wear watches mostly on leather or NATO straps, but if I'm going to wear a bracelet on a watch, I don't want it to be heavy, so I actually prefer the old hollow link "rattle-trap" bracelets of old.

The truth here is, both bracelets are overall the best they've ever been from a comfort perspective, and both also need improvements.

Sub owners are finally happy with their bracelet. If you go back to the mid 2000's or so, Omega SMP had a far superior bracelet. The Rolex bracelet was a rattle-trap that felt cheap, had an ugly clasp, and hollow endlinks. In comparison, the Omega SMP had a much more solid clasp, nicer links (although not screwed links). Ever since Rolex upgraded the sub bracelet and added glide-lock, Rolex owners have been celebrating.

However the latest sub 41mm, the clasp is now absolutely massive and while the glidelock mechanism has probably been made more robust, the new size of the clasp is absurd, and in my opinion a big downgrade.

Similarly, the Omega SMP bracelet while super comfortable, definitely has a polarizing look (referencing that 90s bond seamaster look), and without the taper it is a chunky monkey that doesn't really have a modern look (as most new watch releases have tapered bracelets with a bit of vintage vibe, including the new speedies).

At this point, both bracelets need to go on a diet, the sub with a smaller clasp and the smp with a taper. The trick will be if someone can do a no-tool-required infinite microadjust/pushbutton micro adjust while keeping a small clasp. I think omega specifically didn't add this functionality to the new speedmaster in order to keep the clasp a manageable size.

-Freq