Forums Latest Members
  1. chris-jones Feb 25, 2020

Hi All,
    I am new to this. I was bought this as a gift. They thought it looked different. It was bought from a repeatable jewelers in Manchester - Aruther Kay & Brothers. I assume the face has been changed. Apparently it was bought in an auction. They changed the strap as it was old. They put a bright one on it but it looked a bit much so a brown one one on it. I like that it looks different however i would like to know if its real. I have tried to find the watch on google but i cant even find the same shape/style. All the motions work and the date time work smoothly. Anyway has anyone any idea how old it is and if it looks legitimate.

4311a400-8516-44fb-a6d1-b737dbe9f177 (002).png d1d771ca-c1c8-43b6-ac5f-cb341c8e4e14.jpg
  2. KingCrouchy Feb 25, 2020

Hello and welcome here on OF.:thumbsup:

The Watch looks like a badly Redialed Ref.166.0188 with a Cal.1022 with replaced Hands.

FBPB likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 25, 2020

While the watch appears to be genuine the dial has been refinished in a color never offered by Omega.

If you like it wear and enjoy it.

Samir and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Davidt Feb 25, 2020

Fantasy redial. Hopefully you didn’t pay much.

FBPB likes this.
  5. FBPB Feb 25, 2020

If you don't like it, ask the store if you can return it....

6. chris-jones Feb 25, 2020

Thanks for the comments. I have mixed feelings. I thought the colour must have been changed however that was what I actually liked "different" albeit that might not be a good different.
    Again forgive me for my naive approach to this so does this make it fake or just over played with and worthless?
    So is it a 1970's watch? Does it hold any value for being different haha or is that stupid?

7. Davidt Feb 25, 2020

It’s genuine but the dials been repainted.

kinda like getting a vintage Porsche and crudely spray painting it lime green in your garage.

Samir and blufinz52 like this.
  8. FBPB Feb 25, 2020

Fake? no. Reworked? yes.

Hold any value? Absolutely not. Collectors will want original.

chris-jones likes this.
  9. chris-jones Feb 25, 2020

Thanks for your comments it’s genuinely appreciated. I guess from obvious limited knowledge I wanted to know if it was a fake in the first instance. Positive taken is it isn’t which I thought was the case. Negative being for the purest if that’s a term in watches is that it’s been pissed about with for want of better terms. I guess I knew it had been done to maybe someone’s taste or to make it different. So I guess I’m good with that as it’s a gift it’s different and I like this fact. Yes it’s not an original colour but I can like with that. I am just going to tell people it’s from the 60s 70s and George best got it re-worked because of the colour
    Thanks guys I know it doesn’t fit into the category or natural collectors beauty however I like it’s one off and it’s original and authentic is it’s own way so all good. I’ll be wearing it as George did thanks for the direct comments and appreciate all the feedback albeit mixed.

Mouse_at_Large, Dan S and KingCrouchy like this.
  10. KingCrouchy Feb 25, 2020

Sadly the Value is rather limited. The Reference is from a period that wasn't the best for Omega so there is little demand for it. The redial reduces the Value even more, on eBay you would probably get around 200$.
    You should just wear the Watch and enjoy it, the 95% of people wouldn't care about those details we collector find so important.:thumbsup:

Mouse_at_Large and chris-jones like this.
  11. chris-jones Feb 25, 2020

Brilliant thanks I get it but I guess I like it

12. chris-jones Feb 25, 2020

Thanks for a positive comment and I’ll be wearing it appreciate it

13. Dsloan Feb 25, 2020

Congratulations, you've just paid your first installment of 'newbie tax'! Most of us have paid more than our fair share as we got into watch collecting.

Like you, many people join the forum to ask about their first vintage watch and get some bad news. If you have a real interest in watches, I encourage you to stick around. There's a lot to learn here that can help you make more informed purchases in the future.

But, as others have said - don't worry about it too much if you enjoy the watch. That's the most important part.

Samir and chris-jones like this.
  14. Dan S Feb 25, 2020

It was a thoughtful gift, and it’s only useful for you to know the value so that you can make an informed decision when the day comes that it needs a repair. Enjoy the heck out of it until then.

Samir and chris-jones like this.
  15. FBPB Feb 26, 2020

Funnily enough, I came across this yesterday, dial looks a similar colour.

The lume pips behind the markers (some not centred, others missing) make this look more like a Vostok Komandierskie than an Omega...

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 10.36.09.png

Edited Feb 26, 2020
  16. KingCrouchy Feb 26, 2020

That's what we call a Mumbai special.;)

FBPB likes this.