Omega Seamaster 300 milwatch selling at 205k!! world record

this result is really incredible.

Why can somebody explain? It's so much more than any other seamaster 300 milwatches ever sold.

https://www.phillips.com/detail/omega/NY080120/107/

• Manufacturer: OmegaYear: Circa 1970Reference No: ST 165.024Movement No: 20’318’767Model Name: Seamaster 300Material: Stainless steelCalibre: Automatic, cal. 552, 24 jewelsBracelet/Strap: NylonDimensions: 42mm DiameterSigned: Case, dial, and movement signed. Caseback engraved “0552/923 – 7697 – A/348/70”

• Catalogue Essay
    Omega introduced the Seamaster 300 in 1957 as part of its “Professional” line of watches. Whilst the vast majority was produced for professional and recreational divers alike, a very small batch was made for military use from 1967 until approximately 1970, and custom designed by Omega to meet the needs of members of the British Royal Army and Navy.

A number of special features set these military-issued watches apart from Omega’s regular production units. Their cases, with distinctive curved and beveled lugs, were delivered with fixed spring bars. Dials featured an encircled “T” designation, signifying the use of tritium for the luminous hour markers and hands. The broad, sword-shaped hour and minute hands, as well as the angular sweep seconds hand, were also specially designed. The crown was screw down as opposed to the snap down design as found on production versions. Their case backs were engraved by the British Ministry of Defense with the military branch code, issue number, and year of issue.

As many were used in combat and on military deployments, very few have survived with all factory military features intact. We are therefore thrilled to offer this piece in its full “mil-spec” configuration. The dial is original to the watch, still fitted with what’s known as the “thin” encircled T. Most SM 300 dials were replaced during use, and can be found with “fat” encircled T’s that were reprinted by the MOD. The luminous hour markers have faded to a pale yellow, which match the hue of the luminous numerals on the original acrylic bezel.

Money. Laundering.

Is there an proof by any chance of money laundering at wristwatch auctions? For the art world i know, and you can search all the related articles. But these days it has become quite common for wealthy people to allocate their cash reserve into tangible luxury assets as a way to not get that much effected to wealth related tax. I am quite astonished right now to see the amount of bidders logging in not only at high profile auctions houses such as Phillips (2000+) but also with small auctions (couple of 100s) who sell their pieces online through the various meta bidding sites.

It would be really interesting if an investor such as Drahi who invested 3.8 billion to buy Sothebys, would except these kind of events to still happen since it could damage his investment on the long run.
But on the other hand it is also very difficult to avoid since these criminals work with all these kind of shill companies.
Edited:

If there was proof, someone would be in prison...
Must have been 2 of them going head to head..Silly money launderers.

It’s becoming an incredibly common occurrence with this house. Something is rotten. And it’s not just those put together Daytona’s they had to pull. 😗

Those money-launderers sure have got good taste in watches I'll give them that. Bugger the Rolex's with rainbows etc. Omega Mil SM300s. Maybe they are members here...

Another great and controversial thread from Wouter "controversy is my middle name' van Wijk 👍 Thank you good Sir! Keep them coming.

Don’t mean to switch topics, but there were lots of crazy results today (as usual).

A brand new Odysseus that retails for $29,000 going for $82,000? How does that happen?

https://www.phillips.com/detail/a-lange-sohne/NY080120/127/

A Cartier Tortue going for $50,000? I have actually been eyeing that watch and they can be had for $17,000 or so on Chrono24. I wonder how much this result will jack up the market...

https://www.phillips.com/detail/cartier/NY080120/75/

I have said it before and I say it again: Phillips can sell all my watches if they want. The prices they achieve are insane. Really off the scale. But: do I think this is money laundering? No: I don't. Main reason: so far nobody has come up with a explanation which makes sense but please enlighten me 😀

I've sold a few watches with Phillips. They act very professional and the process is easy. I've met Surely in the 90's in Munich and he was still learning about vintage watches. But he always had the massive drive to be the best possible. And he achieved that. His Ego get recognised with other wealthy Ego driven collectors. Buying there is almost a stamp of approval, you made it into that small circle.....next price driver is too much money available. And the Rolex Mil.sub is now in most high profile collections. Very hard to find a correct one under Pounds 60.000. and that market is controlled by 5 people with access to parts and the correct number charts.... So, Omega is catching up.... Kind regards. Achim
Edited:

I've met Surely in the 90's in Munich ...

I would not have guessed that Aurel would auto-correct to Surely. 😁

I would not have guessed that Aurel would auto-correct to Surely. 😁

Somehow fitting, actually......Aurel is sure about himself. Funny......

That must have been a very bored oil sheik

After you bought the Rolex Paul Newman for 15000000, that is stamp money......

Someone with more money than sense. For all the reasons outlined in previous threads, public watch auctions would be a really bad way to launder money -- it's expensive, traceable, high-profile and only useful for relatively small sums.

Interesting to see what this one makes when it goes up on Tuesday, although I'd want a closer look at the hands

Interesting to see what this one makes when it goes up on Tuesday, although I'd want a closer look at the hands

Hmm...., Case facetts do not match the rest of the condition ..... Hands lume. Looks like , it had some work done. Any back pics ?

my bet is that this one could also go for a good price as it’s the rarer army issue

so had to revert my first estimate
Edited: