Forums Latest Members

Omega PO and eBay authentication program

1. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 12, 2021

I’ve seen a lot of posts around questioning the new eBay authentication program, I didn’t even know it existed when I bought my PO. When I got the watch and realized it was trash (info below) I did some research but there is very little info on the program since it is so new. I figured I’d post my experience for the group.

My 100th post was to be a post of my new PO 2500 orange. It turned out to be a disaster! I bought off eBay, the pictures were bad but it came with a recent omega service and the description said it was in near perfect condition with no visible blemishes. I took a (stupid) chance.

When it showed up it had a significant 2-3mm ding in the side of the case. The seller offered me $200 “in good faith,” yeah right. It also came with some weird, fake extra link. He thought since it went through the authentication program I wouldn’t be able to get a refund, admittedly I couldn’t find much info to the contrary.

I oddly had to wait 10 days after receipt of the watch to file a claim. I had a lot of clear documentation to prove it wasn’t as advertised, even using his own admissions in our chats trying to work it out. eBay very quickly sided with me and I sent the watch back and got a full refund.

Anyway, hopefully someone can find this info useful. I added a picture of the damaged case because all posts need pictures.

3054B148-8D5C-4CCD-A216-0CA9E8057B0D.png
    thelinendial likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 12, 2021

Actual vs. advertised condition isn’t part of the “authentication” program as far as I know, but glad you got it resolved in your favor.

SpeedyMcNasty and cvalue13 like this.
  3. notchrishansen Mar 12, 2021

Glad it worked out. Curious.. what's to stop this from happening to another buyer from the same seller?

SpeedyMcNasty likes this.
  4. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 12, 2021

If eBay gave a crap about their sellers, they would make you return it through their authentication program as well. Scams can work both ways, not implying the OP is.

5. TDBK Mar 12, 2021

It doesn't sound stupid nor a disaster. It's been an annoyance for you, but you're getting your money back. I think you could just as easily tell this story as "I could take a chance because eBay made it safe to do so". Not to criticize you or disagree, but just to point out that this is a glass-mostly-full story. Sorry you're disappointed that it didn't turn out, but your bank account is reloaded and you're back on the hunt.

6. cvalue13 Mar 12, 2021

OP, it does not seem from your post there was any question RE authenticity. Was there instead any suggestion by the seller that the damage was caused by the authenticator?

I’m not following what the authentication process has to do with your issue (but also glad for you that it was resolved).

7. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 12, 2021

Other then my scathing review (first time I’ve ever left negative feedback), probably nothing unfortunately.

8. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 12, 2021

I was under a different impression from my research, but eBay stood by it.
    I actually think the authentication program benefits the sellers more then the buyers. It prevents buyers from pulling out good internals and putting fakes back in.

the return process actually DID go back through authentication before going back to the seller.

9. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 12, 2021

That’s a great attitude to have actually. I appreciate your positive view point. You’re right, it does prove the process works.

TDBK likes this.
  10. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 12, 2021

My understanding of the process is authentication proves you get an authentic piece AND the item is as advertised. The seller admitted he did not look at the watch before he sent it to me. I don’t think the authenticator damaged the watch, I think the seller lied to me. But yes it was an authentic, full set, just in bad cosmetic condition.

11. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 12, 2021

I guess the silver lining is that it reinforced my love for the model. I’ll get another one at some point.

12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 12, 2021

:thumbsup:

“Description of the Authenticity Guarantee Service.

After the purchase of an Authenticity Guarantee Eligible Item (description in Section 6(a) below) on eBay.com, the item is shipped to a vetted third-party authentication partner to carefully inspect the item’s authenticity and conformity to the item’s listing details. Upon confirmation of the item by the third-party authentication partner, it is properly packaged and securely shipped to the buyer. If the item’s authenticity cannot be verified or the item is significantly not as described, the item is returned to the seller and a refund is issued.”

cvalue13 and SpeedyMcNasty like this.
  13. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 12, 2021

Good news then.

SpeedyMcNasty and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  14. cvalue13 Mar 12, 2021

Buyer beware of what “significantly” might mean to a specific authenticator

15. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 12, 2021

E0DA1405-0BBE-4B11-8418-1C10306B5A9F.jpeg

SpeedyMcNasty and cvalue13 like this.
  16. cvalue13 Mar 12, 2021

:D

apparently not!

my guy had to talk eBay into it

which is exactly how it wood have worked if there weren’t authentication. (maybe it was even harder to talk eBay into it because the authenticator had passed it?)

17. Toad Cottonheadedninnymuggins Mar 12, 2021

Actually had 2 good experiences on ebay with the authentication process. 2500d and a sub.
    they picked up an aftermarket link on the sub and offered to cancel the transaction but i went through with it. Was good deal otherwise.
    My interpretation is that they make sure nothing is fake. They don’t comment on condition.
    Gave me piece of mind.

18. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 13, 2021

Yeah that is subjective, I guess.

19. SpeedyMcNasty Mar 13, 2021

I think the return would have been easier without the authentication process, because of the regular eBay money back guarantee, but the process worked, it just took a bit longer then I would have liked. I just submitted evidence for my claim and they accepted it right away and without question.

20. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 13, 2021

I am so far unimpressed with the eBay authentication program based on the OF anecdotal evidence.

Acknowledging significant confirmation bias. ;)