Forums Latest Members
  1. txtchfn Apr 12, 2022

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I’m pretty new to watch buying. I really like Omega and have a new Seamaster 300. I’ve been looking on Ebay at different watches but scared of buying a fake. Is the Authentic guarantee actually a guarantee that the watch is truly an Omega? I’ve been in the hobby of sports memorabilia so I’m well aware of how many fake products are out there. My Seamaster I bought from Omega just to guarantee that it’s the real thing but would like to also do some used pre owned watches also. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

2. tnt9 Apr 12, 2022

good thing with Ebay is that you are protected. If you make case that watch isnt what it was described then ebay will protect you. you need to send it back and you will get money back

I learned it on my skin as a buyer 3-4 times but also as a seller where I was not wrong at all...but buyer just didnt like it and he made case that watch is not working....so I needed to refund him when I got watch... there was everything perfect with watch. but if buyer say it is not as described then ebay will protect him.

txtchfn likes this.
  3. dmtowl Apr 12, 2022

Authentic Guarantee means nothing for vintage pieces. These dudes have no clue about refinishing or replaced parts. I dont trust it at all, I do the homework myself based on photos.

smitty190373, tnt9 and txtchfn like this.
  4. txtchfn Apr 12, 2022

I’m trying to learn but pretty much a novice. I’ve been reading and watching hours of YouTube videos. With doing the memorabilia for years I know there’s a lot of good fakes when you’re talking thousands of dollars. I will most likely do new or buy from some sellers on here that have a good reputation. Thanks for the reply

5. josiahg52 Apr 12, 2022

It adds nothing to the buying experience to me. If anything, it ensures I look for watches that don't have the guarantee attached to it against my wishes. That means watches less than a certain amount but some lesser priced watches seem to include it now. Then again, I haven't bought a watch off of eBay in almost five years so I'm clearly not eBay's watch customer.

txtchfn likes this.
  6. Dan S Apr 12, 2022

Yes, it is a guarantee. Did you read about it on eBay? Here is a link to a description of the program and the full terms and conditions:
    https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee-watches/

However, if you are concerned about subtle issues of collectibility that go beyond authenticity, then you can't really count on eBay. You will have to develop your own expertise.

Also, there have been a few reports of errors by the authenticators and of accessory items being lost in the process.

connieseamaster and txtchfn like this.
  7. txtchfn Apr 12, 2022

I did read the description on EBay. I still had questions as how experienced are their “experts” and how they would be certified as such. It didn’t give me a true feeling that fakes wouldn’t still be getting thru. I hate to keep bringing up the sports memorabilia but I’ve dealt in it for years and I’m well aware there’s a lot more really good cons than there are real experts. I appreciate your reply and I’m pretty well convinced I’ll be staying away until I have tons more knowledge on the brand.

8. Dan S Apr 12, 2022

This is the company that does the authentication in the US:
    https://www.americaswatchmaker.com

I am no fan of eBay authentication, but I doubt that many "fakes are getting through" TBH in the context of modern watches from a major brand like Omega. A counterfeit watch is not that convincing once an expert puts their hands on it, opens it up, and looks under magnification. It's not the same as sports memorabilia where you are mainly focused on provenance. Here we are talking about unique products with distinctive designs, manufacturing, and technology. And there is a guarantee, as you read in the T&C, so you are protected.

Still, I agree that it's always best to develop your own expertise, but you will still need to rely on some sort of guarantee if you don't trust the seller, since there is only so much you can tell from photos.

txtchfn likes this.
  9. txtchfn Apr 12, 2022

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate the help with the explanation. This makes sense and puts me at some ease if I ever decide on buying an Omega off of Ebay. I hope you have a great night.

10. gr4z Apr 13, 2022

As a seller of a few pieces I made a complaint about the authentication system, specifically around the fact they admit to opening the watch. My buyer upon receiving it, made a complaint there was debris inside the watch. It was certainly not there when I posted it. The watch was returned and he was refunded. I was out of pocket as eBay insisted I pay their fees.

After around 4 weeks of complaints, eBay finally relented and scrubbed their fees. Left me a little p*ssed tbh. I had to send the watch back to manufacturer to be fixed/cleaned and got them to reregulate it.

That said, as a buyer it is a good system and does protect you.

vadimo, connieseamaster and txtchfn like this.
  11. chrisb732 Apr 13, 2022

Good information everyone, thank you. Ebay is tempting at times but I feel better buying off of here for sure. Always good to do your homework when searching ebay.

12. 502 to right Apr 13, 2022

If you are buying a watch made in the last 20 or so years, especially something made within the last 10, I think the ebay authenticity program works. I would not feel as optimistic about a vintage piece.

That said, if I'm buying something made in the last 20 years my first stops are Bob's Watches, Crown & Caliber, Watchbox, and SwissWatchExpo.

mbp, txtchfn and Dan S like this.