Forums Latest Members

Ebay Authentication program

1. Sinnyone Dec 27, 2020

I ordered an Omega Seamaster through Ebays Authentication program and made a video of what to expect when you get your watch. What ya think.

2. VickMacky Dec 27, 2020

Interesting, thanks!

3. DManzaluni Dec 27, 2020

I suppose they have to do something to salvage the reputation of their formerly sacrosanct contract now that they are going over to the Sale-or-Return model, - even for supposedly non-returnable items

4. Walrus Dec 27, 2020

Cool enjoy your new watch

5. Marsimaxam Dec 27, 2020

Interesting video. Congratulations on your watch... wear into a better year ahead.

I just sold a pair of Adidas Yeezys that I had never worn thru eBay and I shipped them off to an authenticator. No additional fees have been charged to me as the seller. The authenticator is located near where the buyer lives and I assume once the shoes, hopefully, pass, eBay will then ship to the buyer.
    Biggest issue... takes longer to get your purchase. Item was sold on the 13th, buyer isn't expected to receive until after the 31st.

6. kcgunner Dec 28, 2020

Thanks for posting that. I had been wondering what the new program was really like. It looks like a solid deal. Enjoy!

7. vlaspri Dec 29, 2020

Good packaging. I've seen a couple posts on IG about the eBay authentification program, but I really think those who authentificate watches there - should make a video of the all steps of this process to increase the potential buyer's confidence.

Congrats on a new watch!

8. mountainunder Dec 29, 2020

You shoot the video with your right hand and open the package with your left hand to take out the watch.
    You also narrate the video yourself, but the video is not blurry.
    You are very good at it.
    The video is also easy to understand.:)

9. Wryfox Dec 29, 2020

So my initial two impressions:

1) What if it is sold with accessories, original box, etc? I imagine then it must be packaged in a different way under this program.

2) I know from personal experience that that little magnet on the lid is a definite cause of magnetization of non antimagnetic watches(like nearly all vintage watches of a certain age, maybe some new ones). They have not thought this through completely if they are including a small high strength magnet on the very box a $2000+ watch resides. FACE. PALM.

10. Dan S Dec 29, 2020

According to a different thread, they apparently just toss loose accessories in the trash. Makes the process much easier for them, especially since there is no recourse for the buyer once the watch has been authenticated.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/eba...for-an-issue-to-come-up-missing-parts.123968/

Wryfox likes this.
  11. mjb Dec 29, 2020

Geez. So if I buy a watch with the "full kit" meaning original boxes, paperwork, warranty cards, removed links, tools, loupe, spare strap(s) I stand a good chance of losing it all through the "authentication" process? No, no, I think not, no thank you, no. OMG

And, my understanding of the "authentication" is that they do not remove the back (that brings a whole bunch of potential issues) to verify the movement. They just look at it and say, "yeah, that looks like an Omega". Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of doing this and as a seller it probably makes it easier to sell expensive watches like Omega and Rolex (aside from the ridiculous eBay fees) but we all know that the accessories can be worth a lot.

Wryfox likes this.