Forums Latest Members

OMEGA NATOs - Polyamide vs Polyester

1. cknight24 Apr 22, 2021

Does anyone have both a polyamide and a polyester OMEGA NATO to compare? How different do they feel? I have the black polyamide NATO that came in the big box with my Speedmaster and it feels amazing. I want a blue one for my SMP but the only solid blue one is polyester. There's a polyamide blue with a gray border, but I'm not sold on it. Does the polyester feel as nice as the polyamide?

2. fakinbacon Apr 22, 2021

WiZARD likes this.
  3. cknight24 Apr 22, 2021

I've heard good things about them. It might be worth trying especially since I'm considering removing the bottom piece so it sits closer to the wrist. I'm real hesitant to do that on a $160 NATO, and yet I'm a sucker for OEM...

I'm headed to the OB tomorrow to pick up a bezel for my 2531.80 so I'll see if they have the polyester version I can try. I'll let you know how it goes.

fakinbacon and AngelDeVille like this.
  4. AdmiralYamazaki Apr 23, 2021

Do you mean the polyamide and coated nylon?
    I got those two, the coated nylon is not really rough, but not as smooth as the polyamide. The main difference is that the coated nylon is so much thicker, it means that any watch you put on it will sit really high on your wrist and the whole strap will be super think. I'd say it's only wearable if you have a big wrist.
    I definitely recommend to see it in person and don't order blind, the boutiques usually don't have them in stock.

5. cknight24 Apr 23, 2021

They make ones that say polyamide, and then ones that say polyester. For example, this one is polyamide, and this one is polyester.

6. cknight24 Apr 23, 2021

I just got back from the OB. The polyamide and polyester NATOs are very different. The polyamide is more seatbelt-like material. It's smoother and shinier. The polyester, on the other hand, is more woven. My first thought was that it reminds me of a knit tie, like this one. Obviously it's a much smaller and tighter weave, but you get the point. It still feels very nice. Up in the air if I'll get one. I have this C&B Chevron that should be delivered Monday. We'll see how it goes, but I may end up on an Omega NATO simply because I'm a sucker for OEM. My Seamaster is currently on the black polyamide NATO that came with my Speedmaster. Not a terrible color combination.

Here's a pic of the polyester up close and a comparison between the polyester and polyamide:
    PXL_20210423_154619470.jpg
    PXL_20210423_154612979.jpg

jjen, Amg786s and o.m.e.g.a like this.
  7. Bmws Apr 24, 2021

8. Chewie37 Apr 26, 2021

I am actually looking at buying an omega nato strap for my blue SMP.

It doesn't say on the website, and there are not omega boutiques anywhere near me -- do they come with spring bars? If not, do I need straight or rounded (I've heard different answers), and where do I get the OEM ones?

Thanks

9. eldiano84 Apr 26, 2021

They do not come with spring bars, i asked for them gratis and got them, but they typically sell them for like 4-5 bucks a pair, you need the rounded ones on anything NATO and the straight for metal/rubber bracelets.
    There’s a card with a link and instructions by watching this video that tells you the rounded bars are meant for straps.

So I made the mistake of just buying the cool OEM straps like oh yeah i would love it either way, boy oh boy was I wrong. I have the 2 materials and let’s just say even in the omega site it’s extremely confusing to know which colors have what materials because they list them as polyamide but completely feel different.

The soft material of the Spectre James Bond strap is my absolute favorite, I wear it day and night and makes the watch feel light, it’s comfortable and Does not make the watch stick out like the thick cotton ones(blue and speedy Tuesday/black/white). As a matter of fact the thick ones I completely somewhat hate them because they bulge out the watch, make it hard to mold to your wrist and makes my wrist completely sweaty(i wore the blue non stop for a summer and it stunk after a while) I am completely on the look out for another style/feel of the Spectre strap when I head over to the Boutique eventually. That’s my take on them.

Look at my final photo on what I mean, one’s completely Soft, easy to breathe on the wrist and the other is hard like sandpaper

image.jpg image.jpg
  10. gpstar Apr 27, 2021

I requested the spring bar tool with spring bars from Omega when I ordered a Nato from them. The spring bars they gave me were straight ones. However they are slightly longer than the ones used on bracelets.

11. rob#1 Apr 27, 2021

The spring bars that come with the 1861 ‘big box’ Speedy are straight for the NATO that comes in the box; I’ve never used curved bars. And yes, they are longer than the bracelet bars.

Best to pop into an OB or AD to try out the straps if possible to check the look and feel is what you want.

12. journeyforce Apr 28, 2021

Which is odd that the OB does not provide them free with the strap without you having to ask. Last year in July I bought 2 straps (a Black 19mm/20mm Nato for my AT and a Leather nato strap for my Moon watch and both came in a red travel case with a Omega branded spring bar tool and a plastic black Omega vial with spring bars. (for the 19mm/20mm one, it came with a pair of 19mm spring bars and a pair of 20mm spring bars. With the 20mm leather nato strap it just came with 20mm spring bars)

13. Chewie37 May 1, 2021

Which Omega NATO strap do you all think looks best on the previous gen, waveless blue ceramic SMP?

I've been trying to find pictures and its hard to find. I'm not sure whether the "strap builder" thing on the omega website is actually color accurate either.

If they were cheap I'd buy a bunch and figure it out, but at $160 I'd like a point of reference lol

14. Modernism May 2, 2021

This may explain the difference in the two that I own. I have the black and grey SPECTRE and the plain black metal keeper Omega. I've always wondered why the black one is more comfortable to wear and wears thinner than the black/grey. Presumably they are different materials. The black and grey is 6 years old now, so wondered if they're thinner and lighter now or made the same way? The black was sold to me by a boutique, but pretty sure it came from the Speedmaster box, because at that time, they didn't have a plain black metal keeper option for sale. On the site they are both listed as Polyamide, They're VERY different so wonder if they've changed the material?

Nobody at Omega could answer me. Mind you nobody at Omega can ever answer if the black with the material keepers NATO is backed with leather. I'm pretty sure it is, but it doesn't mention it on their sales page. But interestingly, nobody on the end of the phone in sales, or anywhere else at Omega could answer the question.

15. Kallistrat Jan 16, 2024

It's great that OMEGA is exploring eco-friendly materials.

16. Legiboka Jan 16, 2024

The polyamide on my Speedmaster is indeed smooth and comfortable, while the polyester on my SMP has a slightly different texture, but still comfy. It really boils down to personal preference. The blue polyamide with a gray border might surprise you in person, so don't rule it out entirely.

Speedmaster411 likes this.
  17. Legiboka Jan 19, 2024

By the way, PET plastic, like the one in those water bottles, is surprisingly durable and eco-friendly, so it's cool that they're using it in some straps.