Forums Latest Members

Omega Polyamide vs Polyester NATOs

1. Super Fuzz Aug 6, 2018

Just wondering if anyone has opinions about the difference in quality between the Omega NATOs that are listed as "polyamide" vs the "polyester" models (they come in grey, beige, and brown, and I think originated from the '57 trilogy release).

I have one of each, and very much like the polyester - it's retro and cool. But it feels like it will potentially pill or be less durable than the polyamide, which seems to have some kind of coating and is nylon.

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 6, 2018

The primary chemical difference is an amide vs. ester linkage in the molecules.:coffee:

Nylon is a specific type of polyamide and is softer than polyester but also stronger (tensile strength).

Polyester is faster drying, easier to dye and has better abrasion resistance, which in a watch strap makes it less, not more, likely to pill.

Nylon is more expensive to produce and, depending on the application, may require additional treatment for abrasion resistance.

I don’t know that one is “better” than the other in a watch strap, quality is in the eye of the beholder for many consumer goods.

3. Super Fuzz Aug 6, 2018

Thank you for dropping some science and dispelling my troglodyte assumptions ::book::

Appreciate the input- going to order another polyester strap now!