Omega Megaquartz 2.4 MHz Stardust cal. 1510 - who can still

Posts
4
Likes
2
I’m hoping the collective knowledge here might help me find someone who is still willing and able to work on an Omega Megaquartz 2.4 MHz Stardust, cal. 1510.

The watch isn’t completely dead. With a fresh battery it starts and runs, but subsequently stops. I’ve tried changing the battery with the same result.

So far I’ve approached Omega Vintage and several respected vintage Omega specialists in the UK. Unfortunately, all have declined to work on it because parts for the 1510 are no longer available.

I’ve also contacted VintWatches in Germany after finding their 2024 Stardust restoration, and Chronotek in the US. I’m currently waiting to hear back from both.

I’m based in London but am very happy to send the watch anywhere in Europe, or further afield if necessary.

Does anyone know a watchmaker who is currently taking on cal. 1510 repairs? Alternatively, if anyone here has experience diagnosing this start-and-stop behaviour, or knows of a source for 1510 parts or donor movements, I’d be very grateful for any advice.

My priority is preserving the watch rather than cosmetic restoration. I simply want to get this Stardust running reliably again.

Many thanks,
Jonas
 
Posts
9,229
Likes
76,852
Have you tried the Croydon Service Centre?
They have repaired f300 watches for me and specialise in electric chronos
 
Posts
4
Likes
2
Have you tried the Croydon Service Centre?
They have repaired f300 watches for me and specialise in electric chronos
Thank you I hadn't come across Croydon Service Centre, so I'll reach out to them as well
 
Posts
9,229
Likes
76,852
They charge/charged a £30 inspection fee which is deducted from the cost if you go ahead the service/repair. They seem to have a stock of parts. They’ve done a couple of things for me. They’re not cheap but they are competent
 
Posts
653
Likes
345
It might be difficult to find someone with the parts and knowledge, STS used to be the place to go but I think that's no longer an option ?
 
Posts
201
Likes
59
Have you tried the Croydon Service Centre?
They have repaired f300 watches for me and specialise in electric chronos
When was that and where are they located please?
Also do you remember the cost?
 
Posts
9,229
Likes
76,852
They’re in Croydon



I last used them last year. They repaired and serviced the blue one and repaired and serviced the Connie a couple of years earlier. They charged me £300 plus VAT and postage.

Obviously the problem with your watch may not be the same as mine but you have to send it to be examined and if you accept the estimate, the examination fee is incorporated into the overall fee.

I’ve been entirely satisfied with their services.

 
Posts
201
Likes
59
They’re in Croydon



I last used them last year. They repaired and serviced the blue one and repaired and serviced the Connie a couple of years earlier. They charged me £300 plus VAT and postage.

Obviously the problem with your watch may not be the same as mine but you have to send it to be examined and if you accept the estimate, the examination fee is incorporated into the overall fee.

I’ve been entirely satisfied with their services.

Thanks, but do they have a physical shop you can go to or is it all via post?

Google location doesn't look accurate either as there's not shop of theirs there
https://maps.app.goo.gl/agp35EH9MVQoRNBb9?g_st=ac
 
Posts
9,229
Likes
76,852
It’s not a shop and, given the likely value of the stock, they don’t advertise where they are - like quite a few others.

It’s all via telephone and post.

I’ve never had a problem with them.
 
Posts
653
Likes
345
Will be interesting to see if they can fix your 2.4MHz because they're very different from F300 watches for which parts are plentiful and that can be serviced by many watchmakers.
 
Posts
1,871
Likes
2,627
I know of no company worldwide which works in these watches.
I sold mine for this reason.
There probably are individual watchmakers who do, I don’t know of any.
STS were the last Omega company who did through Swisstec, they stopped when Tony left.
 
Posts
4
Likes
2
Hi ! It would probably be worth asking Theo, in Germany, very competent fellow .. " [email protected]"
Good luck !
I'll contact Theo and explain the symptoms. Hopefully the fact that the watch still starts and runs before stopping gives us something to work with.

Many thanks for the recommendation and contact details, very much appreciated.
 
Posts
4
Likes
2
Small update: I contacted Croydon Service Centre following the suggestion above. Unfortunately they have also declined the watch because they no longer have parts for the Megaquartz 1510, which are now obsolete.

The slightly frustrating thing is that nobody has actually diagnosed the fault yet. The watch isn't dead with a fresh battery it starts and runs, but then stops.

I also heard from a watchmaker who used to work on 1510s, and his view was that this behaviour could potentially be caused by old/gummed lubrication or excessive mechanical resistance rather than necessarily a failed circuit or motor. He no longer works on them because of the risk posed by the ageing electronics and lack of replacement parts.

The watch is currently with Omega in London, who I've asked to speak to Switzerland and see if they will at least diagnose the fault, although they weren't particularly optimistic.

So I think what I'm really looking for now is someone willing to diagnose and, if the electronics are healthy, clean and lubricate a 1510, rather than someone who necessarily has a stock of replacement parts.

Any further leads would be very gratefully received.
 
Posts
9,229
Likes
76,852
I’m sorry CSC couldn’t help. Good luck with Omega or finding another expert repairer.
 
Posts
1,582
Likes
2,016
I did mine that as a micromotor issues and fully service at Dario Ratti in Bienne , took 12 months the guy is overloaded but they did it perfectly .
 
Posts
184
Likes
162
I'd ask Croydon if they will work with you. Diagnose any problems and let you know what parts they think are needed.

Then it's your problem to provide the parts. It's already a non runner, and if they damage something whilst servicing it, chances are anyone else servicing it would also have damaged the part. At this stage they can't make it worse.

If you absolve them of blame, take away the pain of getting parts and offer to pay handsomely, their opinion may change.

I've worked with my local watchmaker a couple of times on this basis. "Please provide your best effort, let me source the parts. I understand it's old and just stripping it could damage parts."

I've always been able to get parts. I've not tried with a 1510, but I have done the above with a Beta-21. It needed four or five new parts, including coils.