Forums Latest Members

Question regarding engraving - Constellation 2.4 Mhz Stardust

1. palkastu Feb 10, 2018

Hi everyone!
    This is more of a open question but its very relevant for my next potential purchase.
    Ive recently been offered a Contellation Megaquartz 18k gold with a stardust dial. The price offered may be fair, but the watch is engraved with the name and date of birth of the seller. My question is; How much do this hurt the value on a watch like this?
    Ive had many Omegas with engravings before and I know it usually lowers the value a bit.
    This watch is in an other league than an "ordinary" Connie and if the general consensus is that engravings hurt the value a lot, I will steer clear of this one (even if I never going to see one of these again).
    On the bright side the watch is in incredible condition and its recently serviced.
    Here is a terrible photo of the watch :) ConnieStarudst.jpg

reziprozi likes this.
  2. Sherbie Feb 10, 2018

No idea, but would like to know what the engraving says

3. palkastu Feb 10, 2018

As my first post states, its the name and date of birth of the seller. I dont have a picture of the engraving Im afraid, but its on the lower end of the caseback.

4. webvan Feb 11, 2018

Yes it hurts the value but maybe that's already reflected in the asking price ?

5. palkastu Feb 11, 2018

The price seems fair. The seller asks $8000.
    I know these engravings hurt the value, but if the consesus is that it lowers the value with a lot on these watches the price may not be as fair.

6. reziprozi Feb 11, 2018

Hi, a very nice example. I love this Omega and sure, that the value of this Omega will rise up and unless it is such a beautiful watch! Amazing to wear or just looking at it. I would pay instantly 8000 Dollar for that watch with engraved caseback. About some days ago I buy that watch for 15.000€ and most of my collectors friends would pay this amount of money for it. https://omegaforums.net/threads/what-about-this-constellation-megaquartz-2-4-mhz-full-gold.70026/ So about 6500€ is a bargain. And perhaps you can "restore" the caseback with filling it up with gold and polishing it carefully. Anyway a nice catch...if you don't buy it please give me the contact details of the seller :)

7. webvan Feb 12, 2018

Yeah that sounds like a good price based on recent prices and as reziprozi says it might be possible to fill up the engraving. I'm not sure if "laser welding" works with gold though for a perfect result.

palkastu likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 12, 2018

Can you see the engraving when you wear it ;)

Humptymarsbar likes this.
  9. palkastu Feb 12, 2018

Thanks for the informative answer :)

I see your point, but will not see the engraving ;)

reziprozi and STANDY like this.
  10. reziprozi Feb 12, 2018

Perhaps a way. I think with gold it is much easier

11. palkastu Feb 13, 2018

Thats not for the faint hearted ;)

12. reziprozi Feb 13, 2018

Edited Feb 13, 2018
  13. reziprozi Feb 18, 2018

Did you get it :)?

igloe likes this.
  14. palkastu Feb 18, 2018

Not yet!
    The seller does not know what i has so Im dealing with his/my watchmaker. The watch has been laying in a safe at the watchmakers for the last 15 years. Hopefully the deal will be done next week :)
    Ill update the post as soon as I have some news!

reziprozi and Lucasssssss like this.