Omega ladies Saphette or something else

Hi fellow OF members,
Today I would like your help in identifying this dial and movement that I found in a lot that I won. It’s a cal. 580 handwinder with an extraordinary dial in the form of a droplet, onyx inlays and probably a non-original crown without the omega logo.
What I found so far is that the movement dates back to the late 50’s early 60’s. I’ve seen some other special dials in that same period coming from Saphettes. So, is this belonging to a Saphette? Any help is appreciated!

The Omega Sapphette models were in karat gold (14 or possibly 18), and had a synthetic sapphire crystal with a beautifully faceted perimeter. It is the case that makes a Sapphette a Sapphette, not the movement. But I have never seen a Sapphette model with the calibre 580 movement. They often used the calibre 480, which made them a daintier watch.

Ok, so maybe not a Sapphette, what is it then? Can anyone here shed a light on it? Would really appreciate it👍

The Omega Sapphette models in the series didn’t have individual names. Likewise, Omega gent’s watch series had names like Cosmic, Seamaster, Constellation, Speedmaster, etc, these names did not all apply to individual specific watches, but SERIES of watches that didn’t each have specific names. You ask, “if it is not a Sapphette, then what is it”? How might you expect us to know when the case, the part that might help pigeon hole it to a specific series is not there? When your watch was COMPLETE, it may have belonged to a series, but it would not have had an individual name. It may have had a MODEL NUMBER, but that would have been marked inside the case back. There is no case back. Take my word for it. It was NOT a Sapphette. The Sapphette series used a much smaller mechanism because that series was very petite.

Omega made literally thousands of different "jewellery" designs for ladies, beginning in the 1920s and reaching a peak of design in the 1980s.

Unlike mens watches that had series runs that could be counted in years (except for the latest Speedmaster LEs), ladies jewellery watches often had short production runs of a specific design, exceptions being the Saphette and others that were produced in greater quantities.

The Omega bible, A Journey Through Time, has pages and pages of ladies watches of varying designs.

Unfortunately I've been unable to find a dial shape like yours, so, as @Canuck said, unless you can find the case with its reference numbers it will never be identified. And unfortunately, I suspect the case has gone into the crucible long ago.

Yes it’s unfortunate that I don’t have the case belonging to it. I know that it give conclusive answers as to the modelname and number. It is what it is. Thanks for the help anyway! It will remain a mystery for now. Still it’s an intriguing little movement and dial😀

The Omega Sapphette models were in karat gold (14 or possibly 18), and had a synthetic sapphire crystal with a beautifully faceted perimeter. It is the case that makes a Sapphette. …..
Or steel. If it is white gold, my 60 € were well spent 😁 9DE03552-D682-4AF9-B5A5-48F7650AB6E0.jpeg

If that is a Sapphette, in a steel case, that is a surprise to me! I’ve seen a lot of them, especially in the 1960s when it was a current series, and I’ve only ever seen them in karat gold, as the following two examples belonging to Mrs. C. But never in steel. Both these are 14-karat, with faceted synthetic sapphire crystals. The crystal on the round one is the only one of its sort I’ve ever seen. Tinted a pale pastel blue, giving a darker blue “halo” around the faceted perimeter. Bracelets are not gold.

. 95F0F175-276E-4A26-80D0-F72064071C6F.jpeg

802D00A0-857E-4ADA-ADC1-D837755F7742.jpeg

I gave my wife the steel model as I saw how much she liked the 18K Saphette. She likes the gem-like appearance on her slender wrist. Sorry to hijack the thread, will stop now :whipped:

No worries, it’s still on topic 👍
…and
It’ nice to see some casing around the sial and movement. It’s more than I can show you🤔

I did see a teardrop Omega like yours once. I think they show up occasionally.

Hi -- Can't resist joining in, as I have a soft spot for these Saphettes. I was intrigued by the one with the tinted crystal shown by Canuck, and promptly found one (14K) on eBay -- although it seems pricy at $600. The name Saphette does seem to refer to sapphire, so it would make sense that some of the crystals are blue, no? s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg

Hi -- Can't resist joining in, as I have a soft spot for these Saphettes. I was intrigued by the one with the tinted crystal shown by Canuck, and promptly found one (14K) on eBay -- although it seems pricy at $600. The name Saphette does seem to refer to sapphire, so it would make sense that some of the crystals are blue, no? s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg

Drop-dead gorgeous! Only the second Sapphette I have seen with a pastel tinted crystal. The one I showed came to me in rough shape. I had quoted a price for repair which the owner turned down. Instead, she asked for advice as to selling it. The case is 14-karat white gold, so I made her an offer at a scrap gold price. She expressed concern that the watch was worth a lot more than that! I told her the value would be higher………after it was fixed! But she would be lucky to recover the cost of the repair, after repair. She sold it to me. Considering the cost to have someone fix it for me, plus the cost of refinishing the dial, it might have ended up being a very expensive watch. As it is, purchase price, dial refinish, plus sweat equity, it stands me about $250. But if I’d had to pay someone to fix it for me, it could have ended up being 3 x that!

I must say that the yellow gold one you show, would normally have yellow dial markers and hands, from Omega. Plus, it looks to have a ROUND dial, not cushion shaped. See the gaps at the edge of the dial at the 11 and the 1. There is a chance the movement and dial are from a donor watch! If you plan on making an offer, you might keep that in mind. Still, nice!
Edited:

Interesting that both of the tinted ones have waffle dials (if that’s what it’s called). The seller states that it’s very rare, so maybe just a freak chance that another one happens to be available right now. (This one is inscribed, and appears to be a 30th anniversary gift.)

No intention to purchase this one—but thank you for pointing out that very telling set of discrepancies! Eye-opening.

It’s a lovely specimen though! In my experience a seller quickly mentions the product rate as a USP. I’ve obtained a number of movements of ladies omega’s with a couple being equipped with a waffle dial.