Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300 Ceramic Sedna gold or something else?

1. mattsrs Mar 14, 2023

Decided to add an Omega to my collection (currently all Rolex sub, pepsi) and ref 210.62.44.20.01.001 has caught my attention. Wonder what you guys think about this reference and if you think there's something better in Omega collection at this price point (12k list). Obviously not going to pay its list price and have negotiated a healthy discount with an AD. The things I like about this watch are the blacked out design, clean dial and enough but not too explicit lines of gold in it. Is the ceramic case something to worry about?

7CDD401E-9DA0-49D9-8A58-4F6CB283BDA0.jpg
    Wetworks and Al22 like this.
  2. DavidSarnoff Mar 14, 2023

Industrial ceramic is typically harder and stronger than steel. Usually three or four times harder than stainless steel. Can it shatter, it is possible under the right conditions. My question would be in how many documented cases this has actually occurred.

mattsrs and McKnife like this.
  3. Annapolis Mar 14, 2023

I’m sending in my Hamilton diver to the swatch group tomorrow for a chipped ceramic bezel—no idea how it happened. But it can happen. Is it very likely? No. Probably no more so than dinging steel. Maybe trickier to repair, though. (I’m guessing they’ll just replace my bezel altogether.)

But to your more pertinent question: is there something better in the Omega lineup at that price point. Everyone will have a different answer. In candor, I personally wouldn’t buy that watch. Just not my taste at all.

If what you’re after is an Omega that other people generally deem desirable, that’s probably not the one you should buy. It’s maybe also a bit redundant with what you already have—in a way that a Speedmaster wouldn’t be. And that’s the more desirable piece for sure.

mattsrs likes this.
  4. Annapolis Mar 14, 2023

PS by Speedmaster I mean the classic MoonWatch, which will cost less than your Seamaster—but if you really like ceramic there are several Dark Side of the Moon models that are at your price point.

mattsrs likes this.
  5. zatropolis Mar 14, 2023

My fav omega is blue side of moon aventurine. This ceramic rose gold vs the ceramic titanium version is probably my next favorite omega. The titanium one really plays with light thanks to the brushed indices

I personally do not like much the standard versions of the seamaster and speedmaster

mattsrs likes this.
  6. hen Mar 15, 2023

Globemaster?

Omega_Globemaster_Gold_and_Steel_evi.jpg

Lug and mattsrs like this.
  7. Donn Chambers Mar 15, 2023

I’m gonna second the opinions to get something else. At the money you are looking to spend, you could get a Speedy Pro and regular Seamaster Pro on the secondary market for the price you’d pay for that gold/ceramic Seamaster. I think those would compliment your Rolex watches in the collection more.

But ultimately, it is up to you and what you like.

Alfista88 and mattsrs like this.
  8. foxtrot Mar 15, 2023

DEEPLY like it, lot of positive things. NO DATE, RAISED WAVES, WISE AMOUNT OF GOLD, CERAMIC CASE GOES FINE WITH GOLD, THE BEZEL IS BEAUTIFUL...
    If your wrist is above 7 inches, that is THE WATCH!

mattsrs likes this.
  9. crr9381 Mar 15, 2023

Having seen them in person, it is a great looking watch and it seems to match up with the type of watches you gravitate towards based on what you provided. I a GSOTM which has a ceramic case and have had zero issues with it from a durability perspective. Another option that you may want to look at that is along similar lines as the one you mentioned is this... https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...axial-master-chronometer-41-mm-23492412110001

mattsrs likes this.
  10. mattsrs Mar 16, 2023

Thanks a everyone for the great suggestions and feedback! Moonwatch is not an option for me. I saw it in person and the dial quality didn't impress me ( I know it is part of its character). Also I don't like the movement in that watch. Would prefer 9xxx movement if I get a chrono from Omega. So been looking also to racing or a couple of dark side/blue sides with moon phase. However, that Seamaster with black ceramic and rose gold has something about it that is so attractive in person as @crr9381 said. The contrast of all black case/bezel with enough amount of rose gold look so gorgeous. Going to my AD to try these all in person and see which one I like.

hen likes this.
  11. PandaSPUR Mar 17, 2023

I've had my ceramic GSOTM since summer 2019 and its one of my most worn watches. I've banged it into doors and walls by accident before, no damage whatsoever. The watch itself still looks brand new thanks to the ceramic case. My leather strap on the other hand shows some wear.

The only real risk (in my opinion) is if you drop the watch on to a hard surface (concrete, tiled floors, etc).

Some things to consider if you want to mitigate risk: get the strap with a deployant, and buy insurance.

mattsrs likes this.
  12. mattsrs Mar 18, 2023

Got the watch and I LOVE it. Looks much better in person than photos. I love the matte dial also and how well gold accents integrate into the otherwise all black design. One question I have is what 21mm rubber strap with ceramic deployment clasp would work? I saw DSOM one was suggested but I want something with curved ends to fit the lugs and sit flush. Anyone has suggestions or figured it out?

IMG_5130.JPG
    Bruce235 likes this.
  13. bradurani Mar 19, 2023

The paranoia about ceramic shattering is watch forum firehouse effect claptrap. The real problem is that for 12k you don't even get a bracelet

14. mattsrs Mar 19, 2023

tbh I don't mind not having the bracelet. The rubber band is part of its design and looks cool. It is not more absurd than paying $30k list price for some Rolex Daytona's with just a rubber strap

15. Alfista88 Mar 19, 2023

Congratulations! Sedna gold and black is a winning combo. Hope you enjoy the watch for years to come.

Give your current strap a few weeks to bond, before seeking alternatives? You'll get a firm sense of what you like, and don't like about the OEM it strap, to guide you on your quest for alternatives.

mattsrs likes this.
  16. zatropolis Mar 19, 2023

Do you like the all black bezel?

I think the high contrast black with white enamel bezel of the titanium version looks very sharp but i like the sedna gold rim of this one.

17. mattsrs Mar 19, 2023

I like the everything black design except a ring of sedna on the bezel. The numbers on the bezel are still readable when light hit the bezel and I am not going diving with this :D It is one of the cleanest designs I have had. The contrast color numbers on the bezel on non-ceramic/sedna makes the watch a bit busy but thats subjective. However, the opposite would be boring like a light bezel with everything same color (e.g. Nekton or Beijing editions)

Edited Mar 19, 2023
  18. mattsrs Mar 19, 2023

Thank you so much! and thanks for the advice re strap... yea will definitely give it some time but having a deployant clasp would be ideal

19. Alfista88 Mar 20, 2023

Ah, it's the deployant clasp which has caught your eye. Keep in mind that Omega's deployant clasps tuck the full excess length of the strap into the interior. While some prefer that look aesthetically, I've found it does impair comfort when the strap has a thick cut. I personally prefer the comfort of clasp designs that guide the strap back out to the exterior, like those used by JLC & Breguet on models like the Reverso and Marine.

Once a watch reaches the 12k USD price point, I come to expect some extra design elements from the manufacturers that strengthen and differentiate their product's identity. Strap buckles provide that tabula rosa, for each manufacturer to exhibit their creativity and attention to detail.

I really admire how Omega styled the tang buckle on your Sedna gold ceramic Seamaster. An ocean wave at the top, and the flanks contouring in the shape of a lobster claw when viewed from the side. The aquatic themes on that tang buckle are very fitting for a Seamaster. And more importantly, adds an additional emotional bond you'll feel with the watch, as you take it to the beach, on tropical holidays, and other nautical adventures which you'll have with your Seamaster. The generic shape on Omega's deployant buckle (shared across multiple product lines from Speedmasters, Globemasters, Planet Oceans, Constellations, etc) isn't nearly as special as your Seamaster-exclusive buckle.

With tang buckle designs like that on your Seamaster, Omega rubs shoulders with some notable other brands who went above the boring approach of just stamping their brand logo or name onto a buckle, instead investing in the infusion of added style elements which enhance and complement the watch design itself. For example: tang buckles used on the Lange Saxonia and the 1815 lines, have Teutonic characteristics when viewed from the side that remind me of slanted towers from saxon fortifications I visited in Transylvania. Vacheron Constantin have the Maltese cross on their buckles. And perhaps most fitting of all to any brand's cultural heritage: the tang buckle on my Breguet Classique is formed like the round top from a brioche bread loaf ::love::

mattsrs likes this.