Forums Latest Members

Is this a sign of moisture or something wrong?

1. POinNY Sep 6, 2021

This happened roughly 3 weeks ago but it’s been on my mind ever since so I figured I would ask the folks here for some direction. One morning I took my white Seamaster 300m (only 2 months old) out of its red Omega travel case. A very short while after putting it in my wrist I noticed a very small drop of water on the crystal that I wiped off. What’s bothering me is how that drop of water got there in the short time between taking out of its case and putting it on my wrist (or was it there for longer than that) when it was not near any water source.

Now I know water droplets on the INSIDE of the crystal is bad but what about the outside? I went ahead and did a DIY condensation test. Obviously not as controlled and precise as one that a watchmaker would do but I still got the watch pretty warm and placed a drop from an ice cube on the crystal, left if there for 30 seconds or a minute and wiped it off. No trace of condensation on the underside was found.

The watch has also kept good accuracy and I haven’t noticed this random drop appear again ever since. Don’t get me wrong… if I was walking from my driveway to the door and it was lightly raining outside I wouldn’t even be posting about this, but for a random drop of water to appear on the crystal after removing it from my traveling case to putting it on my wrist (indoors) is kind of odd.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure all is well? Main concern is that there’s still something going on with the watch that might cause issues in the future like rust. Appreciate any direction on this

Edited Sep 6, 2021
  2. Sharp Sep 6, 2021

Did you yawn near it? :D

DaveK likes this.
  3. avidmark Sep 6, 2021

Your talking about a single drop of water on the outside of a professional dive watch that can go deeper under water that you can.

4. POinNY Sep 6, 2021

Obviously that’s not the concern and you should reread the thread. I’m curious about HOW it got there when it wasn’t near any water source, when it had just been taken out of its case and if there’s anything above/beyond the condensation test that I can do.

5. avidmark Sep 6, 2021

How could any of us know how a drop of water fell on your watch? I believe your over thinking it. It could be as simple as condensation from an air-conditioner, like Sharp said, maybe you yawned near it. If it hasn't happened again, why worry about it?

6. Dan S Sep 6, 2021

I don't think we can say how a drop of water got on the outside of the crystal, since you were the one handling the watch. Presumably you unknowingly exposed it to a source of moisture. Maybe you shed a tear because you were so moved by its beauty. ;)

But I don't think it has any connection to the watch itself or that there is any reason for concern.

3rdstringholder likes this.
  7. POinNY Sep 6, 2021

fair point, but doubtful that it is condensation as it was in the red Omega travel case. Overall it’s really a head scratcher but yea I’m probably overthinking it

8. POinNY Sep 6, 2021

ha, that could be it. I guess the major concern was moisture build up but everything I’ve read so far pertains to it being an issue if it’s underneath the crystal. I guess whatever mystery droplets appear on the outside of the crystal don’t matter at all

9. Canuck Sep 6, 2021

Did you happen to sneeze when you had the watch in your hands?

10. POinNY Sep 6, 2021

No sir, no yawning, sneezing etc. honestly if I do recall doing that then I wouldn’t have posted this because I would have easily chalked it up as coming from that

11. YY77 Sep 6, 2021

Real men cry, no shame in coming out and admitting that.::bleh::

12. Canuck Sep 6, 2021

Well, you were there when it happened, and you don’t have the answer! What are the chances anyone else might have the answer?

POinNY likes this.
  13. philips Sep 6, 2021

Possibly change in atmosphere from the inside the watch case to outside environment.

POinNY likes this.
  14. POinNY Sep 6, 2021

I guess so. I know it’s unreasonable to ask the forum how it happened so I’ll drop that. I’ll probably never know how it happened but is it normal/nothing to worry about if this sign of moisture occurs on the outside of the crystal vs the inside?

philips likes this.
  15. Dan S Sep 6, 2021

No, there's no reason for concern. Logically, it likely has nothing to do with the watch itself, and a dive watch will not be damaged by incidental external moisture.

POinNY likes this.
  16. Donn Chambers Sep 6, 2021

Most likely explanation is that the watch was colder than the air in the room, and that air was very humid. Anyone who wears glasses has experienced this. The crystal was cold enough to condense water weapon from the air.

Living in Florida, this happens to my watches all the time. Nothing to worry about.

POinNY likes this.
  17. POinNY Sep 6, 2021

So is random moisture buildup on the outside of the crystal EVER a cause for concern, so long as it’s not on the inside?

18. jaguar11 Sep 6, 2021

Assuming water resistance as per specification I guess not.....

19. stevec14 Sep 6, 2021

I think you have nothing to worry about. Moisture inside, yes. Moisture outside, probably not. Put it back in the pouch and see if you can replicate it. I would suspect you probably can’t.

as an aside, Is the watch functioning ok? I assume so.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 6, 2021

Just relax and try to enjoy your watch....