Omega Geneve 2754 Black Dial Cal 266

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up this Geneve. I wanted to come here and get opinions on the dial. I have searched the case number and found some similar dials but not in this black and rose gold combination. It is marked swiss made under the 6 marker but it’s hard to pickup with my phones camera. Thanks in advance.

IMG_4810.jpeg IMG_4813.jpeg IMG_4814.jpeg IMG_4815.jpeg

Yes I did see this one I believe this is the closest to mine that I’ve seen so far. I’ve been searching 2754-4 and have found the same dial but in different colors.
Example:
IMG_4818.jpeg

This is my first black dial Omega and I know there seems to be a lot of redials with these. Is there anything on this watch that I am not seeing shows signs of a redial?

Need more photos of the dial to know for sure. At different angles and in different lighting would help.

FWIW, I suspect redial because of the lack of a small mark near 6 and general thick fonts/crosshair.

IMG_2152.jpeg

A couple of observations. Anytime I see a particularly clean black dial from a watch made in the 1950s, and especially when the other parts of the watch are not equally pristine, I am skeptical of originality. That would include the one posted above by @qazwsx1.

I also agree with the above poster who points out the lack of a minute/second mark on the OP's example.

I have owned quite a few early Geneves, but only one with a black dial. Note the condition of the dial (below), which I would say is consistent with its age, and quite different from the two above. Omega produced so many watches that it is risky to generalize, but it is well known that the finishing lacquers employed on their dials from this period tended to degrade more than some (or most). So to find an original, seemingly pristine black dial from that period, strikes me as being unlikely.

genbk87-3.jpg

Note also that there were 'correct' replacement dials subsequently produced for these Geneve models, and that would likely explain some of these types of examples.

One other, related note. It is unclear to me whether or not flat hands were ever used on these models, but they strike me as being dissonant. I believe that dauphine hands with a raised 'spine' are correct. Given the attention to detail that was evident in these models, notably the chamfered lugs, I find it difficult to believe that flat hands would have been used originally.

Even the period adverts display the raised style, and illustrate how light is reflected differently than it would be given flat hands:

genad54.jpg

Thank you both for your input. I’ve got some more photos to show. And here are my observations:
The font on Geneve looks clean and matches the other examples I’ve seen. The crosshairs are uniform and line up correctly,the minute markers are uniform in size and placement. The markers are placed correctly. The dauphinois hands have the raised ridge(the original photo doesn’t show that clearly) IMG_4827.jpeg IMG_4826.jpeg IMG_4825.jpeg IMG_4822.jpeg IMG_4821.jpeg IMG_4820.jpeg

Hello,

I saw this watch on eBay if not mistaken. I had the same the impressions as @seekingseaquest had, with the lack of minute marker at 6 and state of the dial perse, but again.
For reference, here is mine, with marker: PXL_20230915_142602648.MP.jpg

Yes. I picked it up on eBay. The bid ended at $408. To be honest I didn’t realize the lack of the minute marker until that was pointed out by @seekingseaquest

Yes. I picked it up on eBay. The bid ended at $408. To be honest I didn’t realize the lack of the minute marker until that was pointed out by @seekingseaquest
If I remember the item description, the seller wrote a lot about the overall state of the watch, case and gold hands but never did mention it was an original dial... only that the watch was "customized". Maybe a way of saying it is a redial without explicitly writing it...

I don't particularly like the position of the accent over the "e" on the OP watch.

Definitely could be. I reached out to the seller for clarification. I really don’t like that eBay has AI descriptions available. Can’t be sure the seller actually wrote the full description themselves. Not sure if they used the AI description but some of the phrases are similar to what i got when I created a draft listing for this watch. It even used the word “customizable” on one of its outputs.

I don't particularly like the position of the accent over the "e" on the OP watch.

I agree with this, and it is relatively crude. Not an original dial, I would say.

And note the fine quality of an original accent:

yyyt6.png

My other 2 if it can help with the accent PXL_20230923_160341823.MP.jpg

And note the fine quality of an original accent:

yyyt6.png
Agree, thinner font if I might so

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your help. Here is the response from the seller:

Hi I obtained this from a person who inherited it from his father and I'm sorry to say I have no history. The watch appears to be all original and with an original dial not refinished which is important for value and collectibles. Glad you like it and best wishes John