Omega Genève history and help?

Hi all. I'm new here, and a VERY new watch collector. I purchased this Omega Genève for my fiancé as a wedding gift. I know absolutely nothing about watches but after doing a lot of research, I settled that I wanted something manual, vintage, and by Omega for my fiancé. I fell in love with the bracelet on this one, as I don't see a lot of watches that have that bracelet style and I felt it was particularly timeless. I know it's very simple, but I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the history of this specific watch. I believe it's a 135.0041, which dates it to 1968 upon my research. I know that the Genève watches of this time were considered "entry level", but does anyone have any thoughts on the actual mechanics of it? I saw some mentions that the mechanics are the same as a seamaster but would LOVE any historic knowledge or any advice on how to care for this watch. I feel so silly asking these things, I was afraid to even wind it up because I didn't want to break it or ruin it. You all seem so nice in general and knowledgeable so I'd love any help that anyone has. 😀

IMG_5053.jpeg IMG_5049.jpeg

You’re right, the Geneve was entry level by this point but these are bullet proof watches. The movement, generally a cal 601 in these manual wind versions, is the same movement used in the Seamaster 600 and is a great movement.

They may be entry level but they’re great as an everyday wearer. Just get it serviced every 5-8 years (has it been done recently?) and although the case says ‘waterproof’ it’s now vintage, so don’t get it wet.

Btw, if my partner went to the effort to research this and bought me that exact watch, I’d be surprised and delighted

I rather think that this is a 135.041, rather than a 135.0041.

Although they are sometimes described as 'entry level', that’s a complete misnomer in quality stakes.

All Omegas are built and finished to a very high standard and these watches, if they’re looked after will last at least one lifetime and quite possibly more.

The 'entry level' aspect is because they generally cost less than the same age of Seamasters and Constellations, but the movements used in the automatics are very often the same movements, it’s just that the finish may be slightly more expensive or the movement is a chronometer.

This is the 601 movement in a watch I used to own. The movement is lovely and …

upload_2023-12-1_23-53-15.jpeg

…. and this is the movement in a vintage Timex of roughly the same age. There’s absolutely no comparison.

So, ‘entry level' can mean different things to different people.

IMG_2413.jpeg

I agree with the above. Entry-Schmentry; I love my Geneve as does my local Omega dealer FWIW. While not a manual movement (calibre is an automatic 550), mine sends greetings.

It’s a lovely gift. Nicely done, and very thoughtful!

7EAFC751-EB27-40B7-A1A2-BEEF7C6350C3.jpeg

I think that the entry-level nature of the watch is mainly related to the utilitarian case design, which is obviously a matter of personal taste. Otherwise, the mechanical quality is equal to other Omega models made at the time.

I rather think that this is a 135.041, rather than a 135.0041.

It's the same thing, the case reference stamped in the watch is 135.041, Omega later changed the case referencing system by adding a zero to the number.

I think that the entry-level nature of the watch is mainly related to the utilitarian case design, which is obviously a matter of personal taste. Otherwise, the mechanical quality is equal to other Omega models made at the time.
This is the answer to your question vis-à-vis entry level (for Omega). For the record, I love mine:
IMG_0276.jpeg

Inspired by this thread, I dug out one of mine. They really are very comfortable 😀

IMG_3839.jpeg