Forums Latest Members

Omega Flightmaster - REF:BA 345. 801 Cal.910 18kt solid gold

1. mgfair Feb 9, 2016

I own this watch with the solid gold bracelet. It is basically in very good condition but the case has a very small dent near the crystal at the top of the watch; there is also a very light scuff mark (not deep) on the case. The dial and hands are in great original condition. It is a pity that I do not have the original box.

In any event, the watch needs a service. I plan to send it to Omega in Switzerland and obtain an extract of the archives. The question is should I get the case refinished to remove the dent and scuff or do I just leave it?

Also, there seem to be conflicting stories about the production numbers of this watch. I commonly see reference to no more than 200 but also have seen reference to only 20 of this watch with the gold bracelet. Anyone know anymore?

2. Pvt-Public Feb 9, 2016

[​IMG]

Sorry, I have nothing of any importance to add here. But seriously, we like pictures.::popcorn::

chronoboy64, Tet, kov and 3 others like this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 9, 2016

Are you sure you want Omega to service it? They may replace some of the original pieces...

You should be able to get an extract without sending them the watch, and you can perhaps find a watchmaker for the service who will be sympathetic for the vintage nature of this piece.

4. mgfair Feb 9, 2016

There is a great business in Hong Kong - www.classicwatchrepair.com - who can handle the minor renovation of the watch but because the watch is so rare, I would like Omega to handle it. Presumably Omega only replace parts which I authorise them to do?

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 9, 2016

According to many here on OF, that is NOT the case. Several have had vintage parts/ pieces replaced without their consent. Search around this forum a bit and you can find numerous references to this Omega practice.

6. mgfair Feb 9, 2016

Pics - now added

IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0321.JPG IMG_0317.JPG IMG_0320.JPG
    Tet, frere, marturx and 6 others like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 10, 2016

OHH MMM GEEE

Can I marry a watch? And I don't even like gold watches!

Edited Feb 10, 2016
    Tet and cvalue13 like this.
  8. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Feb 10, 2016

Do not worry about the scuff marks. That is nothing on a vintage gold watch. Do not touch up the case at all. This is a rare watch and the original finish is worth a lot compared to a refinished one (which would be the case if you would like to adress the scuff marks). I would not send it to Omega for service as you would loose controle of what will be done to the watch. Get a reputable watchmaker with great experience in vintage Omegas to service it. Orders should be - "nothing done except service of the movement."

9. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Feb 10, 2016

PS - There might be an issue regarding your inner rotating bezel. Not the same font as others I have seen. Look at pics on the net. No black arrow at 60 and the direction of the numbers are shifitng.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 10, 2016

Now that is a genuinely rare watch, not the crap that people call rare on eBay.

cineaste, cvalue13, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 10, 2016

Yes, the radial flip seems wrong. From AJTT
    image.jpg image.jpg

d4uk likes this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 10, 2016

13. cristos71 Feb 10, 2016

Could well be at some point in its life it has suffered from the dreaded melting crystal gasket lurgy which has damaged the original rotating bezel. I have had it happen on a cal 911 FM.

cvalue13 and marturx like this.
  14. d4uk Feb 10, 2016

very nice... I love my 911 in 18k that would be sublime!

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2016

Melted gaskets are common - case back and crystal gaskets on the FM and Mk. II's. The only case part that is available from Omega for this reference (other than a set of hands) is the inner bezel...unfortunately no picture available of what the replacement looks like...

16. mgfair Feb 10, 2016

Thanks for all the information - although somewhat disconcerting.

Where can I find out what parts are available for this watch? I would also mention that I have 2 other stainless steel Flightmasters, each the c.910 version (ST145.013) : one with orange hands and the other with the yellow hands. I like this style of watch so much that I have a Speedmaster Mark III (with blue dial)!

I seem to have gone crazy for Omega!

ConElPueblo likes this.
  17. mgfair Feb 11, 2016

How very curious!?
    I attach some pictures showing this watch with exactly the same Bezel scale from the book “Omega Sportswatches” by John Goldberger.

Omega bezel(1).JPG Omega bezel(2).JPG Omega bezel (3).JPG
  18. Speedmasterfan88 Feb 11, 2016

Now this becomes more and more interesting! A true gem of a watch you have there! Also I stick with the others and highly recommend you not to send it to Omega. Leave the little scuff mark, it adds to the watches history and have the movement serviced by an experienced watchmaker.

19. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Feb 11, 2016

Do you know the serial number of your watch? I'm wondering if yours might be the exact same one photographed in Goldberger's book.The patina on the blue GMT hand looks quite similar.

20. Speedmasterfan88 Feb 11, 2016

Also note the small dent at 12 o'clock.

Andy K likes this.