Forums Latest Members
  1. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 31, 2016

Okay, in case you have forgotten, I sent my Seamaster 145.006-66 with cal. 321 to Bienne for service. This link has the before and after: https://omegaforums.net/threads/upd...atch-to-omega-for-service-is-a-problem.32472/
    While the watch was visiting Switzerland, a 145.006-66 case became available on eBay. Not convinced that Omega was going to make it right, I bought the case, as a back up.
    I got a call on Friday, from the local OB, that the watch was back. They are adamant that the case is correctly finished but did correct the sub dial hands, which were obviously wrong. My question is: Should I recase the watch? I fully intend to have the original hands put back on the watch but I'm not 100% sure I want to recase the watch. Here are some photos of the watch next to the case I bought. Is the difference sufficient enough to spend the money?

DSCF0157.JPG DSCF0158.JPG DSCF0160.JPG
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 1, 2016

Recasing the watch is done in 30 minutes or less by a competent watchmaker.
    I don't know what the going hourly rates are where you are, but it should not amount to anything near what you paid for the case.
    Might consider saving the original case if you should later change your mind.
    :)

oddboy likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 1, 2016

Thanks. It may take him a bit longer because he's going to replace the hands with the originals, too.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 2, 2016

Hopefully he puts the chrono seconds hand on straighter than Omega did...oh and I assume he's actually going to put pushers on that new case...maybe 30 minutes was a bit optimistic...

5. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 2, 2016

Ok. 1hour and 30 min.
    Did not catch the missing pushers. Swapped on one of my chronos myself, but that was a complete case assembly. 10 minutes real work.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 2, 2016

Since water-tightness isn't really a concern, is it possible to put the original pushers back on the new case? There has been some question about the heigth of the current pusher versus the new ones.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 2, 2016

I have spent 30 minutes just making sure all dust and specs are off a dial and the inside of a crystal...maybe I'm not competent, or I'm just very picky...the time it takes is the time it takes, at least for me...

Looking at case ref. 1450006, the top and bottom pushers are different part numbers (which is unusual in my experience), so you assuming that has always been the case, you would need to compare the old pushers you have in the spare parts bag with the new ones in the new case, and identify which one in the parts bag is the top or the bottom pusher. I don't know what the differences are in these...

Your watchmaker would have to check to see if the pusher parts fit. You might have to remove the pusher tubes that are still in the case, and install the whole works that were removed from the other case. You could possibly even use the deals from the new pushers that were installed in your original case to seal the old pushers, provided they are not damaged or worn.

Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers, Al

CajunTiger likes this.
  8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 2, 2016

Unfortunately not all watchmakers seem to care anymore. I just received a watch back after over 6 months in his shop and it returned with the exact same problem I sent it to him to fix plus now there is a big hair on the minute hand. A good watchmaker is priceless, and harder and harder to find.

efauser likes this.
  9. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 2, 2016

Hi Al.
    The quality of your work speaks for itself.
    All I wanted was to ensure the guy doesn't get ripped of.
    I think we can agree that swapping cases are not considered a C momentum in the arts of watchmaking?
    Cheers.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 2, 2016

There is certainly nothing difficult about simply swapping a case, and obviously I was never implying otherwise. Of course I immediately saw that pushers were missing, so it was clear that this was not just a simple case swap.

Just because a job is simple doesn't mean it won't take time to do properly. To me servicing a 7750 chronograph is a downright simple job, but it is fairly time consuming all the same, and I charge accordingly for it.

I admit I do get tired of regularly reading posts telling others how long a job I do should take, and how much I should be paid for it. No not me directly of course, but when someone says "that service should only cost $200" or whatever I do roll my eyes a bit. The fact is I would not do a small job like this myself, so this one is mostly irrelevant to me personally.

I need to visit some (insert relevant profession here) forums and start telling all the people there that they are charging too much for their services. ;)

So, all I wanted was to ensure the guy goes in with realistic expectations. I'm sure he and his watchmaker will decide what the right price and time is for this work.

Cheers, Al

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 2, 2016

@Archer wrote:

Just because a job is simple doesn't mean it won't take time to do properly

Should be on top of every practical post!

Garv and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 2, 2016

And the Worst Redials thread.

Edited Feb 2, 2016
    Northernman likes this.
  13. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 2, 2016

A key element for a watch collector/enthusiast is to find a watchmaker he can trust.
    I am very pleased to have done so, more than one actually, and it makes a world of a difference not having to pay the local scoundrels a visit every time I need something done to my vintage watches.
    I do not mind paying good money for a job well done.

I guess one of the reasons why I can be a bit edgy is that I see the opposite loads of places with people being ripped of paying top dollars for a job not very well executed. And I am not taking watchmakers specifically. This is too often the case with any sufficiently complicated work.

Had the local AD Volkswagen guys work on my wife´s Golf. The price was outrageous, and the job done mediocre. Had to go back twice just to get the faults I spotted myself set right. And I am no mechanic.:whipped:

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 2, 2016

I use two watchmakers: One in town and one out. The local watchmaker is 86 years old and has been a watchmaker for 65 years. He is pretty inexpensive and is always apologetic if he charges more that $50.00. The most he charged me was $165 for a full service on a chronograph, including a new Omega crystal, and he kept saying how sorry he was to have to charge me so much. I worry every time he gets a cold that it'll be the last time I see him.

wsfarrell and Northernman like this.
  15. Northernman Lemaniac Feb 2, 2016

Sounds like a good man! I hope I can still work and contribute when and if I reach that age myself! :thumbsup: