Forums Latest Members
  1. jalquiza Feb 21, 2022

Is it just me or do current Omega feel too easily scratched? I'm a very careful person and try to avoid excessive wear/marks (I also wear everything I own and am not interested in safe queens), but I've noticed two of my newer watches have been picking up marks like mad.

Edited Aug 31, 2023
  2. SkunkPrince Feb 21, 2022

The plastic on desks and tables in an office are very abrasive. I got a clear desk protector to protect my watches!

The finish on the MacBook Pro can do similar things. I have palm rest covers for that, too.

jaguar11 likes this.
  3. Canuck Feb 21, 2022

Maybe look at one of the Rado ceramic models. They can be scratched, as well, but it will take longer for the scratches to appear. Tungsten carbide might be a good choice as well. Ceramic surfaces are much harder than stainless steel, but they can shatter!

Silica comprises about 40% of the earth’s surface, and with a hardness of 6 or 7 on the Mohs scale, it is much harder than stainless steel. If you want to persist in wearing the Omega (or any equivalent stainless steel watch), I suggest you get accustomed to scratches.

Edited to change the 40% of the earth’s crust, to 59% of the earth’s crust. You can’t avoid it!

Edited Feb 21, 2022
    watchyouwant likes this.
  4. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 21, 2022

That watch is ruined. Better sell it now before it's worth next to nothing.

watchyouwant, Buster, felsby and 5 others like this.
  5. Dan S Feb 21, 2022

Not careful enough apparently. It's a G-Shock for you. ;)

6. vbrad26 Feb 21, 2022

My Speedy kept getting scratches on the bracelet, like, on the 6'oclock side right in the middle. I couldn't figure it out.
    Someone mentioned that to could be from the metal rivet things on jean pockets...and that seemed quite likely.
    Other than that I assumed it was just from normal wear.
    On my newest watch, I was juggling my hotel room key and a stainless steel ice bucket.
    I was sort of hugging the ice bucket and it was rubbing against the clasp, that gave it its first scratches.

7. jaguar11 Feb 21, 2022

A nice first world problem to have....

8. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 21, 2022

Not much substance to add (when has that ever stopped me?) except for my favorite real-world scratches story.

The manager of the AD where I have my paychecks forwarded to wears an unbelievably gorgeous Lange something-or-other. I keep meaning to ask him what model it is, and I’m terrible about stuff like that. Anyway, it’s white gold, has a movement that looks like Anakin freefalling through Coruscant, and is his daily wear-er. It’s scratched all to hell, and looks absolutely effing fantastic in no small part because he wears the hell out of it, and it shows.

It’s one thing to have the finances to own a high 5-figure (maybe 6-figure?) piece, but something completely different to have the stones to wear the damned thing every day for years.

I’ll leave the TL;DR here: “scratches are cool!”

Embrace the fact that to some, you wearing that watch daily and not stressing over blemishes, seems kind of cool.

9. scubafan Feb 21, 2022

Seems you're not so careful as you think you are....;)

cicindela likes this.
  10. HootOwl Feb 21, 2022

The base/buckle of my PO metal strap also shows scuffs occasionally, as does my metal Tag strap. I am right handed but wear watches on my right wrist. I kinda break the rules and polish out the scuffs when they get too visible with a very light polish. I dont plan on selling either watch anytime soon, and even if I did, I would rather see (not that I can see any) polish marks than scuff marks.

11. stevec14 Feb 21, 2022

I’m a desk diver and the only parts of mine which get scratched are the clasps. That’s just normal - you see plenty of Rolexes with desk rash. It’s too late for mine, but maybe shove some tape on the clasp to stop it getting worse if it bothers you and have them give it a light polish during service

HootOwl likes this.
  12. justacpa Feb 22, 2022

I put a strip of Zagg screen protector on my PO's clasp and have zero scratches there or anywhere else. The Zagg was easy to apply, and though it has a glossy appearance you really can't see it.

13. neill1975 Feb 22, 2022

Yip noticed similar myself the metal seems very soft. It picks up scratches very easily which goes against the advertising of being very durable.

14. Omegafanman Feb 22, 2022

I have not had any issues - just light marks that will buff out for free if you get a full Omega service.
    I have not noticed more or less than normal scratches ....and the Speedmaster has been around a while. They have not made it of soft steel for the 3861....
    I would say my DSOTM is still scratch free so if you can’t stand any scratches ceramic is the way to go....

Rudi99 likes this.
  15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2022

You are scratching quality stainless steel.
    It is you and what you expose the case and bracelet to.
    Maybe you should consider titanium, really.

MCwatch2022 and aphexafx like this.
  16. vbrad26 Feb 22, 2022

Almost 4 years of almost daily use.

72B78449-86E2-4148-9CA3-4FB04F7CA0A1.jpeg 2D2EA3AA-2497-4A84-BBBA-600DD292F4AD.jpeg FC8A7AC1-B8C3-485A-9126-224A6D4BE6C1.jpeg

And I've never cleaned it, which I realize is pretty disgusting hah.
    Just trying to catch up to @STANDY

17. maine-iac1 Feb 22, 2022

I was fairly distraught when I noticed what my desk did to my new Planet Ocean clasp in a couple of weeks at the office. I also bonked the watch a few times on walls and door jams while getting used to the big boy, but that didn't seem to cause any noticeable dings, nothing comparable to the clasp. To get to my point, it's going to happen, and it's OK. My PO still looks great a few years later, and I've now taken it snorkeling, etc.

felsby likes this.
  18. ChronoB Feb 22, 2022

I'm sorry, almost every watch is a scratch magnet. Unless you buy a Damasko or some other watch with a hardened steel or special coating you can expect to get scratches. Omegas are no different.

aphexafx likes this.
  19. Geckobros Feb 22, 2022

Scratches happen.. unless you want to start putting stickers all over it. ;)

20. Canuck Feb 22, 2022

Take it back and demand your money back because it scratches, and see where it gets you!

watchyouwant, jaguar11 and Leviathan like this.