Forums Latest Members
  1. arttie5 Jan 18, 2020

I just had two Omega Seamasters 166.002 cal 562 serviced and paid extra for two genuine Omega crystals matching the original (PZ5056) to replace the fractured crystals on both. I can see the Omega stamp clearly on one of the crystals, but after spending half an hour staring through a loupe at the other, I've determined that either I'm crazy or the stamp is missing.

When I called the watchmaker, he claimed that sometimes these crystals simply don't have the stamp, but I've never heard of this before. I'd like to believe him because 1) he seemed reputable from recommendations on this forum and elsewhere, and 2) he gave me the packaging for both crystals, and they're identical: IMG_9145.jpg

Still, I have a niggling doubt in my mind that perhaps I have been given a crystal which is, in fact, not genuine. Does anyone know if a missing stamp is a typical manufacturing defect on these crystals?

2. Pinoysurf Jan 19, 2020

I can give you two opened packages too. Big deal. Let's see an unopened package with an unstamped crystal.

watchyouwant likes this.
  3. Rochete Jan 19, 2020

Mmmmm... I'd demand a stamped one.

4. dx009 Jan 19, 2020

Apart from the really old ones pre-1950s I don't think that they've made any without the little logo in the center, especially for those references...

5. ChrisN Jan 19, 2020

I've not seen this before and those two packages appear to be the same batch (20/15) so, it seems unlikely that one has a logo and the other doesn't. However, I suspect you are not seeing the logo - it should be obvious but perhaps the dials are different colours and one is easy to see but, not the other. Do you have pictures?

It seems unlikely to be anything malicious by the watchmaker, we wouldn't get rich switching Omega crystals for generics - at least not in any reasonable period of time...

Regards, Chris

6. NGO1 Jan 19, 2020

At Omega factory:
    Step 1: make crystal
    Step 2: stamp logo
    Step 3: sell for 10x more.

If you ask me, step 2 is critical!
    And I’m 100% certain qc of step 2 is computerized. Another word, it’s not possible to miss it!
    The more important question (to me) is: how do you make the watchmaker replace the crystal to OEM without upsetting him and possibly sabotage the process.

Edited Jan 19, 2020
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 19, 2020

I've ordered hundreds of Omega crystals, and I've never had one arrive without the stamp...

I would ask him to change the crystal to one that is stamped, and have him return the unstamped one to Omega (assuming that's where he bought it from).

8. mattonthewater Jan 19, 2020

I'm not saying the watchmaker is lying, but....

9. watchtinker Jan 19, 2020

To the best of my knowledge, non-stamped plexis have sometimes been used by factory in 1966-1968 and 1987-1990. Other than in these periods, all the plexis used or ordered by Omega were stamped.

ChrisN, lando and Archer like this.
  10. arttie5 Jan 19, 2020

Hi Chris,

Here's a picture of the crystal with the logo. Unfortunately, I don't have a macro lens with me, so I had to take this on my phone through a loupe, and the side angle was the only way I could get the camera to focus on the logo; sorry about that. I've circled the logo in red:
    IMG_9147.jpg
    The dials are the same between the two watches, though the other one is slightly more yellowed. I don't think the dial would make a big difference though; both previous crystals had Omega logos which I could very clearly see, even with naked eye. With the new crystal pictured above, I can still see the Omega logo even with my naked eye, but I can't find the logo on the other crystal through either loupe or eye.

For what it's worth, here's a picture of the other watch before crystal replacement, with the logo very visible.
    DSC_3960_resized.jpg

Thanks for your help!

11. arttie5 Jan 19, 2020

I believe he ordered the crystals from Perrin H & W, and that they were the last two of this kind they had in stock; he said that Perrin wouldn't accept returns since the packaging has been opened.

12. arttie5 Jan 19, 2020

Interesting! I think my grandparents purchased these watches circa 1965-1966, so that seems like a time period match. I don't doubt what you're saying, but out of curiosity, do you have a source for this information?

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 19, 2020

Conjecture.

14. Rochete Jan 19, 2020

This sounds like BS to me. You open a package and what is inside is defective, you return it. No logo = defect.

Pinoysurf likes this.
  15. Evitzee Jan 19, 2020

I guess you could ask the question, is the part really defective? If it's fit for purpose, and if it came out of the Omega packet, it would be a stretch to call it defective because it doesn't have the logo. The problem facing the OP is, what are his options? He could demand a new crystal, but who pays for that and the labor to install it? Is it the watchmaker's responsibility? The OP's? Omega Corp? Perrin, the supplier? Or he could accuse the watchmaker of switching crystals on him, but that ruins the relationship and probably the chance of the watchmaker ever working on another of the OP's watches. Or he could accept an odd situation and move on. This is one of those situations where no one will be happy.

OP, do both crystals have the same profile, do they look the same, or can you detect any difference in finish, clarity or other characteristic?

Edited Jan 19, 2020
    Samir likes this.
  16. Rochete Jan 19, 2020

A no-logo crystal impacts on the watch value, so it's defective. A new watch with, say, a little dent or stain on the bezel is defective even though it's "fit for the purpose". Should OP want to sell the watch in the future no one will believe it is an original crystal.

OP might get in contact with Omega to ask whether that particular reference is supposed to always have a logo. If it is, crystal is defective and supplier should take it back.

17. Evitzee Jan 19, 2020

So who pays for the new crystal and installation?

18. Rochete Jan 19, 2020

Not OP, that's something to decide between watchmaker and his crystal supplier.

19. Rochete Jan 19, 2020

BTW installing a new crystal on such a watch is a few minutes operation, no more than 5 min even for a non-watchmaker clumsy guy as me.

20. Evitzee Jan 19, 2020

Then OP will have to take it up with the watchrepairer who will have to spend time talking to Perrin, or elevating it to Omega to get a new crystal. Good luck to OP.