Forums Latest Members
  1. phil.kz Oct 18, 2019

So I have an early 70s Omega Constellation that when I wear, I find it behind in time as it stops working. However, if I'm not wearing it, it keeps perfect time.

More observation revealed that when I'm working on my desk and the head (12 o'clock) is facing down but as soon as I tilt it to face up, it works. I tried doing it gently as to not have movement trigger it and as soon as I begin tilting it, it works.

So basically flat on a desk or facing upwards won't get it to stop. But when the head faces downwards, after a couple minutes it stops.

I took it in for service not so long ago, but that didn't seem to resolve it. Any clue why that might be happening?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 18, 2019

Yes, the person who did the service did not catch/ fix the problem. I would take the watch back to them.

lando likes this.
  3. phil.kz Oct 18, 2019

Right. But is there a possible explanation?

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 18, 2019

Long time ago, one of my watch had same problem, I cleaned the top jewel solved it.

IMG_20191018_142053__01.jpg

watchyouwant likes this.
  5. phil.kz Oct 18, 2019

Thanks! Will try that out and update

6. Davidt Oct 18, 2019

When did you have it serviced? Surely you can just take it back for them to rectify?

7. Canuck Oct 18, 2019

A watch repair guy of any merit should not require you to tell him what to look for. Could be a loose screw or a broken (or worn) balance staff. The quicker you get it back to who ever it is you refer to, the better. Or better yet, find somebody else!

lando, DaveK, airansun and 2 others like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Oct 18, 2019

I vote balance staff. I had a trench watch I bought that kept perfect time when you layed it flat, and would stop when you picked it up and rotated it- diagnosis was balance staff.
    Did this happen immediately after you got it back or some time. It could have taken a knock since the service.
    Just reread your post and you said you took it in for the problem and it’s not resolved. I would give the watchmaker one more crack at resolving it since he already had your money, and if he can’t reaolve it, ask for a refund and go elsewhere.

Raymondo5508 likes this.
  9. phil.kz Oct 20, 2019

He didn't charge for the issue. But he did work on it quite a bit. I'll look into the balance. Basically yeah, just happens when the head is facing down. In less than a minute it will stop unless it's rotated or lightly shaken.

10. Claven2 Oct 20, 2019

It doesn't sound to me like he actually did a complete strip, clean, oil, re-assemble. Not much of a watchmaker, I'd say - was he at a kiosk at a mall? No real watchmaker does a service for free - it costs hundreds.

Time to send it in for a REAL service - it's the cost of being in the vintage mechanical watch game.

WatchCor likes this.
  11. lpestre Oct 20, 2019

I had the same issue on a Vacheron, it was due to the balance staff. Ask him to check that especially the jewel.

12. ChrisN Oct 20, 2019

Sounds like you have a few watches @phil.kz so, if you wear in rotation is this watch stopped when you pick it up to wear? If so, are you winding it or just relying on the auto to charge the mainspring?

It does sound like the amplitude is low and when you put it in any vertical position (not dial up or down), the amplitude drops further (which is normal) and the watch stops.

Mind you, it could be a lot of things... Good luck.

Regards, Chris

13. phil.kz Oct 21, 2019

Thanks Chris. Any recommendations for a watch service that I could send this out to?

14. ChrisN Oct 21, 2019

Hi Phil

Every watchmaker gets occasional returns as things can happen that can't be foreseen so, the first option might be to go back the person that serviced it. I realise that you've tried that so might not want to keep going over the same ground. Which country do you live in? I'm sure someone here will have a recommendation.

I'm a watchmaker myself, so somewhat biased but, if I can help, let me know.

Best of luck, Chris

KingCrouchy likes this.
  15. phil.kz Oct 21, 2019

Thanks Chris, I'm in the US (California). The watch repair guy is someone I know, and I took it in for a basic service (oil and stuff) and a crystal change (one I had ordered). He did the crystal and said he took it apart and oiled it, but he said due to the age of the existing parts- wear and tear.

16. kkt Oct 21, 2019

Service should include inspecting the parts when the watch is apart and replacing any that are too worn. Now the disassembly will need to be repeated by a different watchmaker.