Forums Latest Members
  1. Mistermet Jun 1, 2014

I just bought a 1970 Omega Constellation from a reputable watchmaker. It runs perfectly, However, when I put it in my Wolf watch winder, which as near as I can tell is running according to spec, the watch stops after about 48 hours. I used this winder with a vintage Rolex until I bought this Omega and it always worked flawlessly.
    Does anyone know what the problem might be?
    Thanks for any help.

2. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2014

The watch might need servicing. The winder might not be set to the correct number of turns per day. Aliens, or your cat, might be messing with you by turning the winder off when you leave and then turning it back on when you pull in your driveway.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2014

What direction and how many TPD is it set to?

4. Mistermet Jun 1, 2014

It's set for bi-directional and factory set at 900 TPD

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2014

Yea I'd be getting the watch serviced, my full rotor Calibre 501s run just fine on far lower TPD than that

6. Mistermet Jun 1, 2014

Thanks for your help.
    The watch was serviced prior to sale. I'll talk to the seller.

7. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2014

I'd be willing to wager that the seller either (a) didn't completely service it or (b) has no idea what the term "service" really means. It's a running joke that 75% of the eBay listings that say a watch was "just serviced" are not at all.

lenny likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2014

Thing is in the OP he mentions buying it from a watchmaker rather than eBay which makes it odd that it'd still have winding issues but seems unlikely that 900 TPD bi-directional wouldn't keep a good working Constellation running.

9. bvertz Jun 1, 2014

Maybe the wrong thread, but since you mentioned.... What does "fully serviced" mean? What instructions would I give when submitting the watch for service?

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2014

If a watch has been serviced, it has been taken apart, cleaned, any worn or damaged parts replaced, reassembled with correct lubrication and tested afterwards to ensure both timing and auto winding is functioning as expected. Someone like Archer could explain that in far better detail but as a novice collector the above is what I typically expect from a service.

Sometimes a seller will take a watch and regulate it, or adjust the timing to make it accurately keep time even though its in a bad state. That's a $25-50 job.

Sometimes a seller will take a watch and clean and lubricate it but will not replace damaged or worn parts as it would add to the expense too much, that's not doing it properly. There are many degrees of half-arsed they can potentially do that are "good enough for sale" solutions.

11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 1, 2014

Unfortunately in Jakarta, most watchmaker will call service only for disassemble, clean, reassemble with lubrication (I hope it is correct one) and testing it. Omega parts is so difficult to find in here that if any parts need replacement they don't call it service but repair. Most of the time we have to find the parts and bring to the watchmaker. Sometimes, they had other unused movement that they could cannibalized.
    So probably the right term for Service in here is TLC.

12. Mistermet Jun 1, 2014

I contacted the seller and he responded as follows:

It may be the angle the winder holds the watch.
    Too flat and it may cause problems.
    I had to make several adjustments to one of mine to get it to work.

Does this make sense?

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 1, 2014

Wolf winders, at least mind and the ones I've seen hold watches in the vertical position, not at an angle or flat

14. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2014

The watch has to be at an angle that's steep enough to let gravity swing the rotor, or at least hold it down the bottom of it's arc, as the watch is rotated. If the rotor is spinning in relation to the watch, the spring is being wound. I would question the seller why your Rolex wound but the Omega doesn't when every other factor is the same.

15. Mothra Jun 1, 2014

So just to check my understanding, the watch winds just fine on the wrist? To me, that suggests the autowind is at least working a bit... I couldn't get a vintage constellation to wind on my brand new wolf wonder when I first got one a few years back - it sounds incredibly dumb, but I was putting the watch around the 'wrist' of the cushion rather than across it - this isn't what you are doing, is it?

16. Mistermet Jun 1, 2014

There's really only one way to put it on and it's the same way I put my Rolex on.

17. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2014

I have to ask - is your screen name this mascot?:

mets-mascot.jpg

18. Mistermet Jun 1, 2014

Absolutely!!

19. timeismoney Jun 1, 2014

Avatar time! To hijack this thread further, I noticed there a quite a few John Cusack avatars on here, I am curious how did that come about?

20. ulackfocus Jun 1, 2014

Geezus, that's the last time I help you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Just kidding!

….. sort of.)