Omega brand awarness as a luxury brand

Agree with Rolex beating Omega in the US, not so sure about Canada. I would add South and Latin America = Rolex domination. Italians are also Rolex fan-boys in a big way. Not sure about Germany and France. I suspect Germany might be more of an Omega base. I agree with Omega having the upper hand for UK and certainly in Asia (especially China, though I would exclude Singapore). I think in Australia we might have a tie? This is all fun speculation...I would only actually bet money on Rolex beating Omega in the US, Italy & Latin/South America and Omega beating Rolex in China and other parts of Asia.

In my experience I think Rolex is bigger in Germany, but times change and I haven't lived there in a while.

I can also see both sides to the watch protection debate. I suggest a third route as the solution (with route 1 being to protect the watch like crazy and rite 2 being to just wear it regardless) - I think watch makers need to get better at making materials that aren't so completely prone to scratching. The bracelets on Omegas for example really are extreme - the merest brushing of a brand new clasp on a wooden desk and crrrrrrrk, there goes your first set of scratches.

With modern materials technology that is not acceptable, in my view...

Could be a price thing here in the UK. You tend to see a lot of Seamasters in the wild - a notch or two above the basic waterproof Tag (my old 2000 was a daily wearer and happily timed my decompression stops back to the surface from 150ft, along with my breakfast boiled egg to soldier-dipping perfection).
Speedmasters on the other hand are quite rare - I just returned from a fund manager breakfast and you could barely move for Submariners. I shot my cuffs and awestruck stunned silence rippled around the table as they beheld my Moonwatch in its NASA-qualified glory. Good to know that had the atmosphere been sucked out of our basement dining room and the central heating go to boiling I'd have still been able to tell the time. Bu99ered if the pipes had burst and we'd been flooded though.

Could be a price thing here in the UK. You tend to see a lot of Seamasters in the wild - a notch or two above the basic waterproof Tag (my old 2000 was a daily wearer and happily timed my decompression stops back to the surface from 150ft, along with my breakfast boiled egg to soldier-dipping perfection).
Speedmasters on the other hand are quite rare - I just returned from a fund manager breakfast and you could barely move for Submariners. I shot my cuffs and awestruck stunned silence rippled around the table as they beheld my Moonwatch in its NASA-qualified glory. Good to know that had the atmosphere been sucked out of our basement dining room and the central heating go to boiling I'd have still been able to tell the time. Bu99ered if the pipes had burst and we'd been flooded though.

lol

could also be a wearability thing. I have a speedmaster but tend to wear my seamaster more often, basically because it feels tougher i guess - sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel etc. Also somehow I feel the speedmaster is a bit more dressy (at least my version is) and even with a suit if its a normal day at work i dont want to over do it. if thats the case for others you'll more often see the divers (and yeah, more often submariner than seamaster) than speedmastera (or daytonas) but they may also have them.

Anyway today i am actually wearing my speedy, heres the pic

... and my gut says that here in Switzerland it is the same as in the UK. What is Rolex? 😉
Now THAT is quite an endorsement ... If Omega outsells Rolex in Switzerland, that should be advertised.

Rolex beats Omega in Indonesia significantly. Reflected in second hand watches shops. At least 5 to 1.
If you include fake ones, then handily it could be 10 to 1.
That's why I choose Omega.

I wear my Seamaster SMPC daily and only ever remove it if I'm doing a job where there is a big chance of damaging it. I also have a Deville prestige, that I inherited when my dad passed, which I wear as a dress watch.

My take on it, is wear it and enjoy it. Both are insured for loss / theft so can be replaced but I'm more careful with the Deville as it has sentimental value.

In the Philippines, Rolex definitely. Heck, I got mine when I was 12!

I recently got my first "real" watch(Speedster Professional) and I never considered a Rolex as an option. From a guy that appreciates watches but doesn't know too much about them.... every company out there that is making watches, seems to make something that looks like a Rolex to the point that unless you get a real good look, it can be hard to tell what it actually is. In some respects, maybe that's a good thing.
I didn't know the history of the Speedster before I got it, I just liked that it was very classic and versatile. It could be sporty or dressy, and has an unassuming appearance but to those who know what it is. Once I started researching it, I had to have it. I love the history behind it and every watch I found that had a similar styling just didn't do it for me and I kept going back.
I originally started on the hunt for Panerai PAM111 but opted for the Omega instead. Overall, its just a much more versatile watch.

Omega seems to be ranked as second after rolex in the UK - that is my perception. However as my ex boss said his wealthy mid aged guy has both brands, he wears rolex when he is travelling to Dubai to meetings and in London wears Oemga. I also noticed Irish are big Omega fans.

Funny thing is when I purchased my Omega, my mother looked at it and said oh it doesn't expensive, how much again?!!!

I never comment on watches I see in the wilds. I had an uncomfortable exchange with a kid who saw my speedmaster while having dinner at a restaurant and thought it a good idea to come to my table to talk about it. The timing was really bad and I don't suffer fools lightly. We both learned a lesson that day, he learned to leave people alone and I learned that trying to strike up conversations about watches with strangers is a really bad idea.

That said, with the exception of WIS folks, the only comments I get from the people I interact with, are about my Omegas

I work in finance. There are some really nice watches around, especially the higher ups - seen some GPs, APs, JLCs etc. Rolex seems to be the brand most younger guys go for as their first real watch. I opted for the Speedmaster as a daily wearer because the Submariner's over done. Keep it on a NATO so it's understated and the bosses don't subconsciously adjust my bonus downward.

Definitely seen some guys checking out my wrist but haven't had a watch convo yet - I think most guys just want to keep it discreet as you don't tend to flaunt wealth in my neck of the woods (YYZ)

I don't think the average person notices your watch, but they do know the Rolex brand and that it's expensive. I like that Omega flies under the radar as does nearly every brand but Rolex.

Omega is the watch the makes you feel good about your taste without putting others off. I have both a Speedmaster Pro and a Rolex Explorer ii 42. The Speedmaster gets compliments, but doesn't get the follow up questions about price.

Omega is the watch the makes you feel good about your taste without putting others off. I have both a Speedmaster Pro and a Rolex Explorer ii 42. The Speedmaster gets compliments, but doesn't get the follow up questions about price.
Thankfully my Mom is the only one who asked me how much my Speedy costs. I'm surprised so many people feel free to do that.

Disclaimer: please don't shoot - I'm just the messenger here. With that out of the way, I thought I'd share a discussion I had the other day with a handful of colleagues who all happen to be from Hong Kong originally. Anyhow, they were all wearing Rolexes and the talk turned to watches. Each of them picked their respective pieces up while still in their early twenties (they are now in their late fifties). I am not sure whether they were just pulling my leg, but they told me they grew up viewing Omega as unpropitious, owing to the Omega symbol itself, which to them connotes an upturned pot/urn, as if the wealth that would otherwise fill the pot were voided from it instead. Again, not sure whether they were just having a go at me (I was wearing a Universal Geneve Polerouter, which they greeted with less superstition), thought I'd share notwithstanding.

Disclaimer: please don't shoot - I'm just the messenger here. With that out of the way, I thought I'd share a discussion I had the other day with a handful of colleagues who all happen to be from Hong Kong originally. Anyhow, they were all wearing Rolexes and the talk turned to watches. Each of them picked their respective pieces up while still in their early twenties (they are now in their late fifties). I am not sure whether they were just pulling my leg, but they told me they grew up viewing Omega as unpropitious, owing to the Omega symbol itself, which to them connotes an upturned pot/urn, as if the wealth that would otherwise fill the pot were voided from it instead. Again, not sure whether they were just having a go at me (I was wearing a Universal Geneve Polerouter, which they greeted with less superstition), thought I'd share notwithstanding.
Chinese people are very superstitious. Just like the number four and how in Chinese sounds like the word "death/deceased."
Source: Am Chinese. Am not superstitious.

I am particularly drawn to the idea of vintage watches.. Something that requires research and knowledge vs just walking in to a store and buying a nice watch.

Example: a correct 105.002 or 105.003 on a leather band (perhaps my grail watch) - How many people encountered while wearing the watch would understand it's significance and worth? Very, very few. For some reason that's quite appealing to me.

The thing about perception is that there are those who care about Watches... in which Omega is generally seen at the level with Breitling, and Rolex, maybe throw in JLC, but below Ap/PP/VC/Breguet.. But is being recognized for efforts to make technological advances and innovations.

And there are those who Don't care about watches... to whom Rolex is the ultimate luxury brand.

All I can say about Omega's perception, is that where I live, granted a small town, most people hadn't heard of Omega, but they consider it an enviable luxury brand....because I wear one....

So... if you care what others think, you're obviously not effective enough in influencing how they think... a watch might not be what you need.

I've never had a comment on my Speedy or any other Omega. I had a Rolex 1601 Datejust that drew a few comments. Rolex is a name almost everyone knows and they are generally thought to be "expensive' (I agree with that, by the way). I think Omega is much less known. And that's fine with me.