Omega 1990 Constellation battery change

Hi all! ive recently inherited a Omega Constellation 1252.10.00 Quartz. Not necessarily my type but has sentimental value.

It was working fine but the time was an hour behind. I went to pull the crown out and change the time … to my astonishment the watch didn’t start anymore.
Took it to omega London,UK who said it should get the battery changed… it wasn’t skipping seconds and I know the battery was changed last year by an independent.

Anyways they’ve asked for £190.00 and say it will take 6-7 weeks. After speaking to a few jewellers that wouldn’t touch Omega, I agreed. Having worked for the Swatch group and knowing that the free batteries they put into Swatch are the same as the Omega was a pinch because (in my opinion) 190.00 isn’t justified for a simple battery change.

My question is : do we really believe it’ll take 7 weeks to change? I told the vendor that I think I didn’t push the crown back properly but he assured me it would be the battery.

so far I can see :

Watch dropped off 21/02/2022 Complete
Watch received : 24/02/2022 Complete
Technical Diagnostic 25/02/2022 (still in progress to this date 08/03/2022).

i guess im impatient to have it :)

thanks!

I think it's best to get second opinions, maybe find a gentle watchmaker to do the battery change and if there's another problem then you can send it to Omega

Casebacks do get damaged if you are not gentle

A 190 pound battery change is just bizarre, are you supposed to pay 190 pound/year to just keep your watch running?

I took it to 4 indépendants in london who all asked for 160-180. I thought for an extra few £ I would get the Omega treatment and 2 year guarantee… HOWEVER , 190£ seems extortionate for a battery replacement. We’re not talking about a service or clean…. Literally a 20 minute job and pressure test. I’m just confused at it taking 6-7 weeks ? I sent it off and can see the watch has been sat in their centre for 2 weeks now… not the best customer service in my opinion. Hoping for a quick turnaround!

Are you sure it is just a battery change? It clearly has a fault if it won't restart even though it was running fine. I see that Omega quote £360 for a "non precious material" quartz service so, it's clearly not a full service but there may be something to resolve as well as changing the battery and checking the water resistance.

Why not go back to the guy who changed the battery last year? Or, do you think he damaged it?

Good luck, Chris

Thanks Chris , it was changed in France and Im currently in the UK.
At my disbelief I quadruple checked and the GBP190.00 is for a battery change and pressure test only. They will quote a service if this is needed (should the battery not fix the issue).
I guess I was disappointed that the Omega team wouldn’t touch the watch. Maybe I did something wrong or didn’t press the crown in properly. Seems silly to suggest it but you’d think they would check.
Anyways fingers crossed it’s only the battery and comes back soon’

The fact that the watchmaker is doing a “technical diagnostic” says they are doing more than just swapping in a new battery. So to me, the price is justified if they can sort out the problem.