Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. Kmart Mar 24, 2017

The vast majority on OF have been talking about waiting lists at OBs and how these are going to sell out instantly... it wouldn't surprise me at all if there are still a ton of unsold watches. 3,557 is a lot of pieces. Good news for me anyway!

2. Meme-Dweller Mar 24, 2017

We need someone to check on the status of the Speedy 57s (and don't accidentally ask about the status of the 9300 Speedy 57 to a newbie salesperson). I have a feeling that's the real seller. The trilogy, SM, and RM will be a bit slower.

Kazyole likes this.
  3. ATWG Mar 24, 2017

That's the one I inquired about, plenty of Speedys with low numbers available. I'll be looking for one in the secondary market.

4. Kazyole Mar 24, 2017

Agree. Lots of time between now and May/June when the watches ship. It's only the 3rd day since the official photos came out, very few press outlets have released live pictures of the watches so far, and omega is asking for 100% deposits. I'm not shocked that there is still availability, but I do think it'll sell out. The hype around it feels huge. I think the 100% deposit is mostly what's slowing it down. It's a lot of money to commit in 3 days without seeing many good photos of the watch.

For me, it boils down to the difference in availability/cost between old railmasters, SM300s, and 2915s. I could conceivably buy an old railmaster or an old SM300. Maybe one day I will if my collection goes that way. I'll never own a 2915. Even if by some miracle I did, I'd never wear a $150k watch around. I like them all, but I only plunked down the money for the Speedmaster. This is coming from a guy who has never bought a new watch at an AD before, never sold a vintage piece to make way for a new one, etc. I was calling the OB before they opened on release day to try to secure my speedy, and I've heard the exact same story from a lot of other guys.

I do hope the SM300 doesn't sell out though, so I can pick one up at grey market or second-hand prices down the road.

thogi and sleepyhead like this.
  5. imagwai Mar 24, 2017

Agree. It took several years for 6000-odd FOIS Speedies to be sold.

Kmart likes this.
  6. DIV Mar 24, 2017

Well, I guess that's true...The countdown is good for when you know the total time at the beginning, but I usually time things like a stopwatch....how long have I been on hold? How long have I been at this stupid party? I guess I never thought about it, but yeah, using a countdown bezel can be useful....hmmm...too late...I already shelled out for the Railmaster.

Pun and Davidt like this.
  7. LinsBarroso Mar 24, 2017

3557 units plus 557 sets = 4114 Speedy 60th!

8. DIV Mar 24, 2017

[QUOTE="... I like them all, but I only plunked down the money for the Speedmaster. This is coming from a guy who has never bought a new watch at an AD before, never sold a vintage piece to make way for a new one, etc. I was calling the OB before they opened on release day to try to secure my speedy, and I've heard the exact same story from a lot of other guys.

I do hope the SM300 doesn't sell out though, so I can pick one up at grey market or second-hand prices down the road.[/QUOTE]

Very similar situation here. The last time I bought a watch new at a dealer was when I bought a Tag Heuer in 1996, but I promised myself I would do so if Omega makes 1) reissues the Railmaster and 2) does it well, very well....and they definitely did! So I went for it. I too, might keep my eyes open for the second hand Seamaster 300 in a couple years if prices drop instead of rise....that assumes that I don't get myself a no date Sub that has been beckoning lately....time will tell, but in the meantime, It'll be the Railmaster on my wrist.

9. DIV Mar 24, 2017

Very similar situation here. The last time I bought a watch new at a dealer was when I bought a Tag Heuer in 1996, but I promised myself I would do so if Omega makes 1) reissues the Railmaster and 2) does it well, very well....and they definitely did! So I went for it. I too, might keep my eyes open for the second hand Seamaster 300 in a couple years if prices drop instead of rise....that assumes that I don't get myself a no date Sub that has been beckoning lately....time will tell, but in the meantime, It'll be the Railmaster on my wrist.[/QUOTE]

Kazyole likes this.
  10. shutterlife Mar 24, 2017

I'm put my full deposit for the Speedmaster. Because that's the one I want. The other two I can live without. With that said, I like many, hope there isn't a big demand for the railmaster and seamaster, and I can pick one up in 6-8 months.

thogi likes this.
  11. Richmortrd Mar 24, 2017

12. DIV Mar 24, 2017

I've just never gotten the itch for a chronograph, just me, but I like a clean, uncluttered dial, but with that being said, in relation to my previous comment about the Seamaster LE'a coubtdown bezel....it makes perfect sense that they did a countdown bezel...."if you want to tome.aomthing starting from 0, for a few dollars more, you can also pick up this thing called a Speedmaster"....brilliant marketing!!!

Skuwabar and Emeister like this.
  13. Richmortrd Mar 24, 2017

Has anyone reserved the Trilogy Set?

14. sensui Mar 24, 2017

I did finally after changing my mind.

After thinking over this for 1 night and probably dreamed about it....something made me realize these aren't as intrusive as I thought. I was looking over which watch to wear in the morning and looked @ my Snoopy Speedy with the "Failure is not an Option" bubble in the middle.....I don't think I ever specifically know it's there whenever I glance @ the dial (even knowing so in my mind)....then I took another hard look @ the new ablogtowatch videos on the trilogy and saw that the text is indeed very small....don't get me wrong I still prefer it clean but I think the chance I'm taking ordering 3 separately to have matching #'s is low in the first place and the trilogy box is more exclusive. After considering hard I changed back to the trilogy box order through my boutique rep and plan on sourcing the pieces individually if I cannot live with the numbers.....I think this is a far safer plan since the LE a big lot of 3557 while the trilogy box is only 557....And the limited numbers I'm going for are sentimental so if anything were on the dial being personalized, these #'s would just be fine by me. Won't stop me from giving the managers I know @ the local boutiques a earful next time I go about this snafu.

thogi, Lonestar, munichblue and 4 others like this.
  15. friendharry Mar 24, 2017

Yes, I've reserved the set. Amd most probabl I'll also get a regular SM300 which is my favorite of all three. But I love these big boxes, and hve the 50th Ann Speedie set. So I really wanted the Trilogy, even if I agree that the dial writing is too much

rominvicta and sensui like this.
  16. 2nastie Mar 25, 2017

For me I'm actually more excited about the "vintage" box it's comes in. It's so beautiful and in many ways wish the Speedy Tuesday had something like that (although it doesn't technically go with it... haha, maybe it should come in a recreated moon crator box)...

Out of the trio, I like the Railmaster the most. Clean and beautiful. Not completely sold on the Speedy simply cause I don't like the silver bezel too much.

17. cimo Mar 25, 2017

I'm willing to bet that we will see variants of these watches in the future. Omega must have made new patterns and tooling to manufacture these. Much like they reused designs for the Spectre SM300 and the non-LE SM coax, as well as the FOIS, CK2998, and Sedna Gold Speedmasters, I doubt the trilogy will be a one-and-done. We may not see such a faithful reproduction again, but for those worrying about price or missing the boat on the trilogy LE, I'm thinking there will be more to come.

I made a whole video blog on the Basel releases we've seen so far and basically explained why I think the heritage Railmaster and Seamaster are here to stay. I won't link it because I don't want to "self promote," but I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find it. That said, if I can pull the money together, I have eyes on a SM300. The size, automatic movement, waterproofing all scream buy me. Plus my collection is missing a diver at the moment.

destroid and Beepos like this.
  18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 25, 2017

I would like to encourage you all to buy any and all of these. They are awesome watches. They are much better than vintage. Modern movement, warranty, new tech. Everything you could want. Please. Spend your money!

Rman, Schmedsc, ConElPueblo and 4 others like this.
  19. rominvicta Mar 25, 2017

What is the reason for having such a price hike? Well over 7000 eur for speedmaster. While the regular one is less than 5000 eur. Lunar rover is still available and is around 4500 eur? Silver Snoopy was less than 6000 and now we end up at 7000 and that is in midst of crippled sales in two-digit figures for latest 3 years in a row? Hesalite crystal, solid back, nothing that makes it more expensive to manufacture. A part of design which makes it finally special.

Jaacck and Taddyangle like this.
  20. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Mar 25, 2017

No emoticon @oddboy wan :cautious:

"These ARE the watches you are looking for" :cool:

adi4, KstateSkier and oddboy like this.