Forums Latest Members

OMEGA 1957 Trilogy Limited Editions – Railmaster, Seamaster 300, Speedmaster’57

1. Longbow Jan 8, 2018

I have the same experience, love the look on straps (2-piece or NATO) but always go back to the bracelet. Let’s hope most people really hate the Railmaster then I can pick up another at a knock down price for strap use only :D.

Theognosis likes this.
  2. Riviera Paradise Jan 8, 2018

Yep I noticed that too and he also gets the power reserve wrong when reviewing 8806 calibre watches. Tim is one of the best on YouTube from a technical perspective, but he does screw up occasionally on the Omega stuff.

He often mentions that the Si14 balance spring is what gives a METAS certified watch its "amagnetic" properties (i.e. +15000 gauss resistance) when in fact Omega (together with ETA/Nivarox/Asulab - all part of the Swatch group) have gone much further than just introduce some Si...the staffs and pivots in these upgraded calibres are made of Nivagauss; the steel plates found in the Co-Axial movement have been replaced with non-magnetic plates; and the spring of the shock absorber has been crafted from an an-amorphous material (Monochrome Watches).

3. DIV Jan 8, 2018

And I wish he hadn't introduced it as "The Seamaster Railmaster". The Railmaster is its own model and stands completely separate from its 2 brothers.
    Update: ok, at the 4:24 mark on the RM review he explains...however he wasn't consistent with his reason when he introduced the Speedmaster....
    And he mentioned the Seamaster's water resistance being to 200m details, details...but I must say, he is a very good speaker and knows his stuff.

Edited Jan 8, 2018
    Theognosis likes this.
  4. Theognosis Jan 8, 2018

Haha Tim should stop thinking about JLC’s for a change. Omega is constantly developing new technologies at a rapid pace he needs to keep up!

5. Theognosis Jan 8, 2018

And I might add that he failed to mention the fact that the Speedy 60th has 2 versions. Was he holding the “correct” one. ;)

JohnM likes this.
  6. DIV Jan 8, 2018

nice website, but I can't see the Trilogy pieces on there....help anyone?

7. Theognosis Jan 8, 2018

I don’t think they’re selling any, as noted in the short description below the videos (You need to go to the Youtube page to see it). I suspect one of the guys at Watchbox must have bought the pieces for himself after seeing the watches in the metal. Could it be Tim?

8. nerdbedusa Jan 8, 2018

Well, apart from all that is "incorrect" here: Yes and no... He "held" this first version right, so at least he could not go wrong, though maybe the better choice still would be to go for the "wrong" version, which might even be more "correct" for those who don't care and who like the more exclusive design... :)

Theognosis likes this.
  9. DIV Jan 8, 2018

Good plan, Longbow...I hope to pick up the Seamaster LE some day and keep exclusively on the bracelet while I keep the Railmaster on straps.

Edited Jan 8, 2018
    Mtnmansa likes this.
  10. Mtnmansa Jan 8, 2018

That’s what I did

B283316A-6A88-4597-B83A-23FCEA82E8B9.jpeg
  11. Caliber561 Jan 8, 2018

:whistling:

12. simplymod Jan 9, 2018

So I have all three in the Trilogy. I ordered day they were announced at Basil knowing I would likely not keep all of them but wanted at least to able to secure an order placement and then decide.

Seamaster and railmaster arrived nearly same time. The seamaster visually spoke to me the most, so went ahead tossed it on a vintage strap and am quite pleased after wearing few times. Given the similarity of the Seamaster and Railmaster dials, the Railmaster has remained unworn in plastic.

Last came the Speedy. I really wanted to love this but I have small wrists and was not sure how I felt about it when loosely tried on. The silver bezel makes it wear larger in my eyes and honestly as nice as the bracelets are on all these trilogy watches, they are just too modern day feeling and shiny for my taste. But, I had to give it a chance, so bracelet was resized and is indeed extremely comfortable. Still, I just did not care for it on my small wrists so back in the box it went. Then the other day I decided to toss it on a vintage strap. Well that may have been a mistake to my wallet, haha. Taking the bracelet away in person really changes the look and feel in the wrist. Lookin more and more like the Railmaster will be the one let go. Ahhh...decisions decisions.

What do you all think of the speedy on my small wrist?

43670E1C-EA49-4EF2-A289-DFAEBDE846B7.jpeg

Edited Jan 9, 2018
    gr8sw, frazierspa, Ott69 and 11 others like this.
  13. Bushido Jan 9, 2018

@simplymod the Speedy looks excellent on your wrist. Fits nicely with no lug overhang (which is my personal judgement on if a watch is too large). Great choice and fit, enjoy!

Caliber561 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  14. Theognosis Jan 11, 2018

Due to its minimalist design and grey dial, the RMLE looks the least desirable when placed side by side with any of my watches. For example, beside the Moonwatch with its jet black dial, chrono subdials and shiny pushers, the RMLE looks bland. Against the PO with its ceramic bezel and applied indices, the RMLE looks plain and boring. Even a watch like the SKX-009 with its bezel's striking red and blue colors trumps the RMLE. Putting the RMLE beside a blingy and text-oriented Daytona will make the RMLE look cheap and uninspired.

In appreciating the RMLE, you need to think in absolute terms. So before you flip that beauty (that doesn't look good relatively when placed side by side with either the SM300LE and the Speedy 60th), you might want to try it out for a week and appreciate its design on its own merits. When you finally understand what it's all about, it will be hard to go back to busy dials and bezels. You will find all those pizzas distracting.

Edited Jan 11, 2018
    JohnM, Longbow, sgtpry and 5 others like this.
  15. DIV Jan 11, 2018

I agree. The Railmaster has a simplistic esthetic all of its own. It's like what Coco Chanel said about the best way to accessorize: remove something. Sometimes I'll check the time and get a glimpse of the polished hands, the polished bezel and that glorious inner polished bezel (rehaut) that seems extra thick due to a optical illusion from the edge of the domed crystal. 20171126_124119.jpg
    Then the patinated lume adds an extra spark of color...just love it! The beauty of the Railmaster is in its subtlety. Personally, I never find it boring.

Edited Jan 12, 2018
    mblease, JohnM, Tritium and 10 others like this.
  16. sgtpry Jan 11, 2018

I agree, well said, hence my profile picture

[​IMG]

17. Theognosis Jan 11, 2018

Just look at that! No tattoos on the bezel, no sunglasses on the dial. ::rimshot::

sgtpry likes this.
  18. DIV Jan 11, 2018

Does anyone know how shock-resistant the 8806 movement is supposed to be??

19. Caliber561 Jan 11, 2018

Definitely more shock resistant than a typical ETA 2824. The 8806 has its own proprietary shock resistant system which is supposed to be superior to the incabloc mechanism.

20. DIV Jan 12, 2018

I have to admit I'm not as familiar with movements, but how would the Seamaster and Railmaster LE compare to other known watch models in say a 5 foot drop for instance??

Edited Jan 12, 2018