Forums Latest Members
  1. AnimaSolo Jul 14, 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums and knowledge about vintage Omega in general. I hope you can bare with me. I've come across a vintage Omega constellation recently that I am quite interested in. As usual, I try my best to search for information before going to the forums to get some help in confirming the information I've found. Information about vintage Omega Constellations are quite overwhelming and the dial variations seem to be immense.

So I think I've narrowed down some details but I still have some questions:

1. Case Reference
    The case ref. looks like a 168.018 but according to the full calibre data sheet from Desmond's blog, 168.018s are supposed to be 18K solid gold? I've seen some other forum posts where there were 168.018s that were stainless steel.

2. Hands
    I've seen 168.018s that come with slightly different hands. And what I've found is that these hands are supposed to be ones that came in later models. Is that right?

3. Crown
    This is the one I'm a bit skeptical of. Based on photos I've found, the shape and size of the crown seems okay. But the ageing of the crown doesn't seem to match the rest of the case (judging by the color). Is it because the watch was supposed to be two-tone and the crown was supposed to be gold or gold-capped?

4. MOY Test
    So I read that the MOY test can be used to determine legitimacy or if reprinting has been performed. But because this one is supposed to be first released in 1967, the MOY test may no longer apply due to the script change. I've tried comparing the font to some other 168.018s that I found, and it seems okay? The Constellation text also seems to be ok based on Desmond's definitive constellation dial datasheet. Just looking to verify if I'm right.

Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you guys. Here are photos:
    109104428_2954551514670299_5475639692528954129_n.jpg
    108055255_3650528581714416_1511337809694314736_n.jpg

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2020

Welcome @AnimaSolo
    First of all, compliments on an excellent first post. you’ve obviously done your homework and you should be applauded for that.

Yes, it looks like a 168.018 and they did come in SS.
    It appears to have a very nice and correct linen dial.
    The hands are also correct for this reference.
    The crown may have been replaced or could have discoloured through use ( I don’t t think it is gold coloured - just oxidised SS)

the case is still quite sharp with slight polishing on the lugs but the radial finish on the bezel is still strong
    Just make sure the marks bottom left on the bezel are human detritus and not corrosion.

All in all a quite nice example.
    Ideally you want to see images of the case back (Inside and out) and movt.

hope that helps

IMHO these are watches that will come into their own in years to come but haven’t reached the prices of earlier Constellations just yet.
    What is the asking price for this one?

AnimaSolo likes this.
  3. AnimaSolo Jul 15, 2020

Thank you @Peemacgee for your response.

I have sent a message to the shop (which is from Japan). Hopefully they will respond soon with regards to the mark on the bezel at the 7 o'clock position. I do have photos of the caseback and movement which seem okay to me that's why I did not post it.

Here they are anyway:
    107784993_2702271193320426_8948716709694292523_n.jpg 109351461_782404272564742_5013902157740079669_n.jpg

It is priced at around 639 USD prior to shipping and tax, which I think is pretty fair.

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2020

It’s always best to post all the images you have. :thumbsup:

Medallion looks good.
    Movt looks okay but possible corrosion around the case edge where the seal sits but again it could be dirt.
    Coming from the Far East it may be corrosion due to the humidity.
    This wouldn’t stop me buying the watch. (But corrosion on the bezel probably would)
    Later rotor type which is probably correct for a 29,4xxx serial.
    Some slight signs of tracking on the bridge and rotor and perhaps a little verdigris and paint loss on the regulator are signs of moisture ingress but nothing too bad - just factor in the cost of a service if you buy the watch.

$639 isn’t a bad price at all but just make sure that when you add in shipping and tax it doesn’t creep up into the ‘too expensive’ range.

AnimaSolo likes this.
  5. AnimaSolo Jul 15, 2020

Thanks again for your detailed responses @Peemacgee . I'm actually from the Far East myself (same time zone, closer to the equator). The shipping and tax takes it to around 774 USD.

I actually got a response from the seller with regards to the bezel, they mentioned it's due to "dirt and damage". I'm replied to ask if the damage was due to corrosion or scratches. But I suppose it's some corrosion. If it was, may I ask why would that be a deal breaker for you? If I do get this one, I plan to keep it long term, so it would be good to know if the corrosion will lead to any major issues in the future.

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2020

To be honest it’s just an aesthetics thing.
    As a dress watch corrosion on the bezel may look a little incongruous.
    However, it may clean up and be less noticeable once on the wrist.
    I might suggest you ask for the inner case back shot to check for corrosion around the lip.
    If significantly present, this could affect moisture resistance which could be an issue in your neck of the woods.

AnimaSolo likes this.
  7. AnimaSolo Jul 15, 2020

@Peemacgee again, I actually do have a shot of the inner caseback sorry.

To my untrained eyes, the corrosion doesn't seem too bad.

caseback.png

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 15, 2020

Could be corrosion or could just be marking from the sealing gasket.
    Either way it doesn’t look bad.
    Signs of rotor rub on the case back - so definitely factor in that service.

If you do buy it and have someone attend to the dirt/corrosion on the bezel, make sure they don’t harm the original radial brushing.

AnimaSolo likes this.
  9. AnimaSolo Jul 15, 2020

Thanks @Peemacgee you've been a great help!

TBH, if I were to buy it, I was planning to clean up the dirt myself and leave the corrosion as is. :thumbsdown:

Anyway you've been a gem. Thanks again.

Peemacgee likes this.
  10. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 15, 2020

If it’s the right watch, a few dollars more or less is neither here nor there.

AnimaSolo likes this.