Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 13, 2019

I apologise for being suspicious, but we get a few people who "found my Uncle's.........etc etc" and when they have received lots of help and advice, we sometimes see the watch on eBay with all of our advice and the person is never seen again.

Let us know what coUntry you are in and I'm sure we can recommend a watchmaker to service your watch without destroying its originality (and actually, its value).

2. Polward Aug 13, 2019

as i wrote i am brand new in this and now that i read this post. I would then like to know if it is wise to post a serial in an open forum like this.

yes maybe i suffer from panoira

after all, I work with IT security and it's a world where you have to be panoria.

but is it wise to post a serial in a public forum ? Or have i been a fool now

mr_yossarian likes this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 13, 2019

Davidt and Dash1 like this.
  4. Dan S Aug 13, 2019

I was also wondering about this, but since the OP didn't ask about the condition or value of his watch, I didn't see the need to mention it. However, if he is interested in knowing about the condition, this seems to be the biggest issue.

@Polward, the indices on the dial should be covered with luminous compound that is similar to the yellow material filling the hands. The hands look yellow, but the dial indices look white, as if the luminous compound has been removed. However, sometimes when photos are taken in bad lighting, the colors in the photos are not accurate, so you can look for yourself and determine if there is luminous compound remaining on the dial, or if it has been removed. If it has been removed, there are experts who can re-apply lume to match the material in the hands, which will make the watch more attractive.

5. Polward Aug 13, 2019

Its not washed away its still there but its not Illuminate or glow so much more i Think. Look at the tip on the picture

26B2769D-8FF3-4A3F-8465-9DA7F2C49819.jpeg
  6. gostang9 Aug 13, 2019

Comments:

1. I would be extremely happy and proud to own such a lovely watch once worn by my grandfather. Get it serviced by a proper watchmaker who will respect the vintage aspects and nature of the watch, getting it to work properly but not replacing original items (hands, dial, bezel). CAUTION: I would NOT send to Omega directly, as they may not keep it original.

2. You can get it relumed, I wouldn't. Not on a vintage watch with a special family tie.

3. The hands look like they have been removed in the past, so the watch has likely been serviced at some point in the future. However, I wouldn't wind and use the watch until properly serviced to prevent further damage (assuming oils inside are dried/gone).

Polward likes this.
  7. Polward Aug 13, 2019

by the way, I brought it down to a vintage watchmaker earlier today, to have a look. And they where very surprised to see it and that it was with there original bracelets 1039 - 2/68 and it was not week in the links, they would very much look at the Watch good but that they maybe would refuse to make it and recommended that it be shipped to Swiss to get it serviced.

I packed it up nicely and took it home again

I then contacted a certified omega store who stated that they could easily service it but it came down to caliber, when I told it was a 321 they would also send it to swiss and give it a full service, it did cost a bit but it was worth it all. and it would be a shame just to store it back in the drawer.

in both places they strongly recommended getting it rated.

Both places it would be between 7500 or 13000 US

And a full service would cost around 750 to 1350 US

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 13, 2019

DO NOT LET OMEGA SERVICE THAT WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Polward, gostang9, italy1861 and 7 others like this.
  9. JwRosenthal Aug 13, 2019

Let us know where you are in the world and someone here can reccomend a watchmaker who knows these watches and will be sympathetic and perform a thorough cleaning and service, and replace any internal parts that may be worn.
    As all have said before-do not send it to Omega!! They will replace the hands, dial, crown & put the case on a buffing wheel which will destroy the originality of the watch.
    We are not stressing this issue for any other reason than to preserve this beautiful watch and it’s value.

Polward and Speedimaster like this.
  10. Speedimaster Aug 13, 2019

Yes that's true. Omega makes an offer, there you can say you want switch the Dial or not. You can also say you want the Original Tritium Hands again on the Dial. So all in all, you're the Customer and Customer is King... So tell your wishes easly

Polward likes this.
  11. Dan S Aug 13, 2019

That is correct, the luminous compound is not expected to glow on a watch of this age.

Polward likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 13, 2019

Tritium lume should glow under UV light, but the glow will diminish very quickly. If there is no glow at all, then it has likely been scraped off

Polward and connieseamaster like this.
  13. Dan S Aug 13, 2019

Correct. I assumed he meant that it no longer glowed spontaneously.

Polward and padders like this.
  14. redzer007 Aug 13, 2019

Its said twice above, but don't send it to Omega for a service. The reason for this is they will do a great job, but they will replace all the parts that collectors value which will have a significant and non recoverable impact on the value.

Tell us where you are located and someone will recommend someone.

Lovely watch that looks like it's been well cared for

Polward likes this.
  15. gostang9 Aug 13, 2019

To clarify, most of us here value the originality and history of a vintage watch such as yours.

If you send it to Omega, they will do an excellent job bringing the watch to an “as new” condition. This will make your watch look and run like a brand new watch, but it will destroy any value from its current “original” state.

IF you want a new watch, you would be better off selling this one “as is”, take the proceeds and go out to buy a brand new Moonwatch. (I don’t recommend this at all, but it’s a better alternative than sending your nice vintage watch to Omega, spending lots of money to make it worth much less).

Polward likes this.
  16. IMeasure Aug 13, 2019

For the love of God don't send this to Omega! There are numerous watchmakers that can service this beauty in a sympathetic way. Sending this to Omega will not only be expensive it will also devalue the watch. Complete double negative!

Polward likes this.
  17. Polward Aug 14, 2019

Thanx a lot for all the positive respons i Got.
    Actualy overwhelmed in many ways.

Ill defently not sending it to Omega for service thats for sure.

I rater get it fixed at a vintage Watch maker and Then Place it in a bank box until I figure out what will happen to it in the future

gostang9 likes this.
  18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 14, 2019

If you are not sure what your plans are, then rather don’t do anything, just put it in the ‘bank box’. Should you decide to keep it and wear it, then let it get serviced. Should you decide to sell it, sell it just like this, DNA, wrist-cheese and all, and let the new owner decide :thumbsup:

Davidt, Dan S, Polward and 1 other person like this.
  19. Polward Aug 14, 2019

I Will get it serviced

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 14, 2019

Then you are not listening.

If you think you are unsure if you are going to sell it in the future, you are wasting your time, money and possibly devaluing the watch if you send it for service now.

Dan S likes this.