Forums Latest Members

OF Ad-Free Subscriptions Available Now

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 8, 2021

noelekal, Dan S, MTROIS and 7 others like this.
  2. 64Wing Feb 8, 2021

My PayPal options were also limited to cards only. I do have my bank account mated up to it for other recurring payments.

Not sure why it wasn't an option, but figured it would be relatively easy to switch payment method if necessary

3. nzshadow Stowaway Feb 8, 2021

I don't care about ads. But the amount of knowledge this site has afforded me is worth a damn site more than $100 Thank you fellas.

4. MTROIS Feb 8, 2021

Damn!!!
    I am waiting for an answer now, but juuuusssttttttttt for transparency.... ::popcorn::

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 8, 2021

For full transparency, I presume you will provide them with your liquid net worth so they can confirm you have the funds to cover a membership and likely will not call PayPal or your credit card and dispute the charge :D

6. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 8, 2021

I went digging through Paypal settings and didn't find anything that looked like it would be a problem. I'm not sure why some people don't see alternate payment options.

DaveK and MTROIS like this.
  7. 64Wing Feb 8, 2021

No matter. I'm happy to have it linked to a card for now. Very pleased to see the outpouring of support.

The admins/mods have been so gracious with their time in maintaining this remarkable arena.

I'm glad to have stumbled upon it and I enjoy my time with each of you here.

8. Syzygy Feb 8, 2021

So, the question, at least for me, remains...if by subscribing I am actually reducing the amount of supporting funds OF will receive by removing ads, I'd be willing to keep the ads...they seem to have tailored themselves over time to watches or watch related items (haven't seen hair removal cream or adult diapers for a bit of time now...specifically noticeable by taking a week of holiday in a place with no cell or internet coverage for the past week).

I'm sure this is a calculation that may require an actuarial degree, but if, by chance, you know how much the average member might contribute by keeping the ads, and if it happens to be more than the subscription, I'll keep them. If a hundo supports this community more than ads, I'm in with both feet!

Be well all!

nzshadow and DaveK like this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 8, 2021

So in 99.99% of cases subscribers are better, its only if your watch habit has reached a genuinely extreme level of degeneracy that the opposite is true, and if you reach that point and are spending that much time on the site you’re better off saving the money for your pending divorce

David J, wagudc, noelekal and 20 others like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Feb 8, 2021

I guess I should go back to the ads.

wagudc, Zapatta, MTROIS and 3 others like this.
  11. cvalue13 Feb 8, 2021

You’ve a great sense of humor

12. Syzygy Feb 9, 2021

Brilliant response! Done...hundo on the way! Albeit, divorce may still be pending...

noelekal, Bill Sohne and Trev like this.
  13. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 9, 2021

Welcome to the digital world Tony ! Selecting your track with an IR remote control is a real game changer, isn’t it? ;)

cvalue13, Eve, Bill Sohne and 2 others like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2021

Yea they might show you some good attorneys in the area :thumbsup:

15. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 9, 2021

We could always change the credit card charge description. Easy :thumbsup:

MTROIS, Bill Sohne and Syzygy like this.
  16. donkii Feb 9, 2021

A suggestion regarding the ads would be to actually reach out to company's in the watchindustries so the ads will be relevant and ad more value to the forum.

We have a forum here in Sweden who's taken the same direction as you guys with paid subscriptions and they've also managed to fill the site with ads adding value, for example auctionhouses, watch insurance companies, different authorised dealers etc.

Wish you guys success with this :)

Eve, Bill Sohne, Trev and 1 other person like this.
  17. Syzygy Feb 9, 2021

Ha! "Room Service - Food and Beverage"

MTROIS and nzshadow like this.
  18. ConElPueblo Feb 9, 2021

Wait until we tell him about MiniDisc...

19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 9, 2021

Hi @donkii,
    This is for sure a good intent but I believe it would be a great mistake for the forum to depend on money from the watch industry. The next thing happening is what people have complained about on forums like WUS and other major commercial forums, people can no longer speak freely about problems related to a particular watch or brand, because the forum is dependent on their money.

That would spell the end of the independent expertise which makes this forum so great and so powerful (and causes so many people to be upset), would destroy quality of content, and that is exactly why Hodinkee is sycophantic and cannot be relled upon to tell the truth when it comes to bad news.

Matty01, Hijak, Syzygy and 11 others like this.
  20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 9, 2021

exactly.gif