Forums Latest Members

OF Ad-Free Subscriptions Available Now

1. Maskelyne Feb 9, 2021

That terrible watch was sold by Scanvas. I would never ever sell a watch like that. Timepieces have been my interest since the 80's. Mostly marine chronometers.

I never ever ask for a valuation on OF, posting is for sharing knowledge and publish my photographs.

Edited Feb 9, 2021
  2. donkii Feb 9, 2021

That's not what I was saying. As a forum owner you can choose to milk or to add some finesse. WUS is milking and I don't think that's what OF wants.

What I meant is that instead of having random ads from ebay regarding slow cookers and razorblades they have the platform for having Phillips auctions placing ads like we want your watch to the omega exclusive auction in April.

The subscription thing could still be available so I don't meant that there should be one thing or another, just ads that mirrors what this forum is all about.

I'm not overly positive to the placement of the ads, it makes the site look messy. Just ad a top banner with conentent that matthers :)

Examples. Screenshot_20210209_095059.jpg Screenshot_20210209_095118.jpg Screenshot_20210209_095146.jpg

Edited Feb 9, 2021
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 9, 2021

@donkii I understand your point and I think it’s a fair point-
    But what happens when Phillips sells a watch whose dial has been both swapped and tampered with?
    The case below has become a cautionary tale, and it’s also happened when Jeff Stein on Chronotrader shamed Christies for doctoring a Heuer Skipper dial.
    What headaches for forum owners does that create if and when they become forum sponsors?

https://omegaforums.net/threads/longines-13zn-auctions-originality-authority.40453/#post-472546

The idea of finessing the ads so they can be targetted is a good one, but I think it might be a better idea to proceed like Instagram does, and given the fact this is a largely male and affluent audience place relevant ads for the garment industry, publications, cars, tools, travel, interests often associated with the type of niche audience that we are.
    As a minority I will accept I cannot have the female equivalent... although one might get ads about presents for female partners or spouses ;)

Edited Feb 9, 2021
  4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 9, 2021

@donkii so Phillips Auction places a advertisement and next Auction there is 3 threads slaying their pieces at said auction for authenticity issues.........

or

Bremont pays for a ad and uncovers the pasting I have given them over the years for their dodgy story about their plane landing and hiding in a barn in France to hide from ummm...... who were they hiding from ::confused2::

5. donkii Feb 9, 2021

It was just examples none the less that's just my take on it. That valuebased advertising will add value instead of how it looks now. Phillips might not have been the best example but you understand what I meant. As a forum owner there's always a choice to be made. You've choosed this path now and time will tell :)

The forum in Sweden has a subscription thing as well in that case you'd get a magazine four times a year, better deals with some of the company's they collaborates with and a forum section that's a little more private, but, there's still ads. Im more into that type of thing compared to a solution where I have to pay to have an ad free experience of random ads, but hey, that's just my two cents and I'm still gonna be here since I value this forum highly.

:)

6. cristos71 Feb 9, 2021

Well I'm a big believer in Ad blockers, and I detest adverts generally. But for the sites where I really value the content ( two news sites and now here ) I'm prepared to pay a subscription fee. Here, more than the two news sites where I'm paying only for content, I feel I'm contributing for both the forum founders time, effort and financial outlay as well as towards an Ad free experience. Of course I could use an Ad Blocker but giving a little back is more what it's about.

Edited Feb 9, 2021
    David J, noelekal, pdxleaf and 5 others like this.
  7. lillatroll Feb 9, 2021

I would like to subscribe but my paypal account was blocked a long time ago and I never really bothered getting it sorted the last time I was home. I don't know when I will get home next due to covid restrictions. Is there an alternative way to pay?
    This forum has given so much to so many including myself so it would nice to be able to give a little back.

8. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 9, 2021

Send me a wire and I "gift" you the subscription you want. ;)

apsm100, Taddyangle, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  9. Maskelyne Feb 9, 2021

Yes it was obvious sold by me. (If not, the pictures were stolen.) No valuation was asked for, my research posted including extract from the archives. No promoting at all was done. Bying, sometimes selling, researching, sharing with others on OF, taking detailed high quality photographs in a professional standard. I really enjoy that - as an amateur.

If you need help taking pictures I am glad to assist :)

Edited Feb 9, 2021
    Spacefruit likes this.
  10. lillatroll Feb 9, 2021

Well I have a revolut card that is quite straightforward so it could work if no other option is available. If you don't gift it though, you will burn in watch collectors hell, you will only be allowed to wear invicta watches for the rest of your life :D :p:D

kov likes this.
  11. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 9, 2021

Revolut user here as well so we can solve this issue quite quickly. :thumbsup:

Isn’t it funny, preparing to scam a user with troll in his nickname :D

12. Redwes25 Feb 9, 2021

Thanks for adding the option of no ads and to support the forum. Happy I can do a little something to help this forum run.

13. JwRosenthal Feb 9, 2021

I was actually enjoying the ads. My phone automatically has a VPN (it’s a work phone), so I was getting ads but it wasn’t targeted as they couldn’t see my browsing history. What is was seeing was wording from the threads- like when someone mentioned Castro and all of a sudden I was getting biographic books on him- very clever actually. Still not sure about the diapers.

14. Maganator Feb 9, 2021

She's a wee cutie ::love::

15. Shabbaz Feb 9, 2021

I must say I did'nt see the ads after a couple of days. It's a new world out there. We need to adjust. :D

Trev and JwRosenthal like this.
  16. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 9, 2021

Astronaut diapers? It's ok, we won't judge ;)

DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  17. LesXL Feb 9, 2021

Worked for me PayPal linked to my bank account

Trev likes this.
  18. Omega-Q Feb 9, 2021

$$$ Sent. This has been one of the most informative and fun enthusiast forums I have been a part of. Happy to contribute to the well-being of the site! I am definitely an Omega watch fan for life! :)

noelekal, Trev and MTROIS like this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 9, 2021

I had the same issue. Also realized I had to update my card.

20. CdnWatchDoc Feb 9, 2021

Just wanted to thank the kind soul who anonymously upgraded me to Omega 2...I am always heartened to see the goodness in our members that comes out in situations like this!
    And a big THANK YOU to the mods for bringing this to reality!!

noelekal, Larry S, Alpha and 4 others like this.