Forums Latest Members

OF Ad-Free Subscriptions Available Now

1. Flyguy Jan 4, 2022

I get it. And so you know, you are one of the main culprits responsible for my lack of participation! If you didn't provide such a large amount of information I may have more questions.

I know I can still find ways to participate. I get that the requirements are there for a reason, just a bit salty because I have something I want to sell for once, but it is all good. Maybe after I get my next Seamaster I'll upgrade regardless, because I'll want to be on here showing it off without all of these popups.

Edited Jan 4, 2022
    BlackTalon and Gav1967 like this.
  2. Flyguy Jan 4, 2022

I just disagreed with your conclusion that my main interest in the site is for sales. It is not. But, I think if I pay a subscription that I should be able to participate in sales, main interest or not. Not my forum though, just my opinion.

GuiltunderGlass and Gav1967 like this.
  3. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 4, 2022

And just like that you are up to 21 posts. :thumbsup:

Flyguy likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 4, 2022

I can see why you think like this but the restriction on immediate selling and buying upon joining isn't a way to extract cash from contributors, it is sensible precaution to lessen the risk of fraud and also to lower the amount of hit and run, drive by posts. This policy existed long before the option to pay to go add free was offered, and I for one am happy to see it continue. There is a fine line to navigate when forums like this introduce commercial practices, some like WUS, RF etc get it very wrong. Not so here. This isn't ebay with a discussion forum tacked on, it is a pub full of Omega nerds chatting with some buying and selling going on in a quiet corner, there is a difference!

5. cvalue13 Jan 4, 2022

The post threshold itself is what has created the very sales forum you *want* to post in

6. rob#1 Jan 4, 2022

Getting to 200 posts shouldn’t be an issue once you discover the many fabulous threads here on a wide range of topics other than watches, such as music, architecture, bitcoin, sports, etc. - even knives https://omegaforums.net/threads/anyone-else-collect-knives.30905/ ;)

Engee and Foo2rama like this.
  7. Engee Jan 4, 2022

Why? The subscription option buys you an ad-free experience, and more importantly, it helps to keep the site running because it’s all done by volunteer enthusiasts. It’s not to allow people to buy an override of the 200 post threshold, which is there for a different purpose as many have explained.

I’ve been here for around 2 years and also a newbie with next to zero knowledge of watches and always will have compared with people like @Archer and others. Being able to see all the information here hasn’t stopped me from finding things to post about, be those posts joining discussions like this, asking dumb questions about watches or posting on one of the many other topics that that this platform has discussions about, not to do with watches. It’s a community. If you get involved you’ll find it very easy to get to know people and engage. If you see it purely as transactional, only coming here when you want information or to sell something, then yes, it’ll take you a while to get to 200 posts, and that’s exactly the point.

rob#1 likes this.
  8. Engee Jan 4, 2022

rob#1 likes this.
  9. Tuna Cowboy Jan 4, 2022

I appreciate the 200 post threshold, it requires some investment and most people who are out to play games won't invest the time and energy to get to 200 posts just to scam on one deal, especially since it's much easier on other sites.

Scarecrow Boat and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. crd Jan 4, 2022

If you're interested in seeing a lot of different watches in person, here are a few threads that you might be interested in following:
    * https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...tage-new-deals-on-ebay-other-auctions.113139/
    * https://omegaforums.net/threads/rec...-watches-only-on-ebay-not-for-inquiries.1790/
    * https://omegaforums.net/threads/recommended-modern-omega-watches-on-ebay-not-inquiries.5447/

Lots of knowledgable folks share deals that aren't necessarily hosted on OF, although it can sometimes be a good place to highlight a particularly good deal that is hosted on OF. In particular, the not Omega ebay finds are often in a very affordable price tier and quite often the forum member highlighting the piece will also share some useful knowledge about it that you might not have already known.

As for the post count, I can see where you're coming from too. There are countless useful threads here that won't benefit from my contributions. There are also plenty of active discussions that newbs like you and I are also welcome and encouraged to be a part of. In my experience, as long as you're being genuine this community is extremely welcoming and you'll be surprised at how quickly you can reach the active member threshold without really trying.

Flyguy and JwRosenthal like this.
  11. JwRosenthal Jan 4, 2022

No such thing as a stupid question in watch collecting, unless it’s “is this a good investment”.

Case and point:

How do I wind my watch?
    Is it manual, quartz, automatic, electric, solar, kinetic? If the poster has never had one of any particular type, how would they know?

How do I set the date?
    Slow set, quick set, push-pull, lever set…so many sets!
    Shit, the Accutron 214 has a damn key on the back and the 218 sets date in the wind position and sets time in the date position!

Does my watch take a battery? Well, some do some don’t. What watch is it?

Telling someone “did you do a search?” doesn’t help most of the time, particularly with what we think of as “simple” or “stupid” questions. I can’t find half the shit I’m trying to find using the search here.

The only time I usually won’t go out of my way to help a new comer is when they start a thread with “how much is this worth?”.
    They can go to eBay for that.

Dug, rob#1, MtV and 3 others like this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 9, 2022

Time to renew!
    :thumbsup:

Syrte and dsio like this.
  13. 64Wing Feb 9, 2022

Renewed automatically this morning. Happy OF New Year :p

Trev, Darlinboy and dsio like this.
  14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 30, 2022

Bonjour, cette annonce est une violation des regles de ce forum. Ce forum n’est pas un site de vente, seuls peuvent vendre les membres qui ont contribue 200 posts non artificiels avec de veritables contributions.
    Ceci va etre signale aux moderateurs.

Beware, this really looks like a scam..

Twocats and MtV like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 30, 2022

Indeed it is, thx for the report this bloke has been yeeted

Syrte and MtV like this.
  16. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 30, 2022

"yeeted"?

Is that legal?

17. Engee Jun 30, 2022

Nice word. I had to look it up. Will attempt to find a good use for it.

pdxleaf likes this.
  18. Walrus Jun 30, 2022

Yeeted nice. Gonna use it today somehow. So my paid subscription ran out. I’m gonna reup it next credit card billing cycle as putting sooper down padded my bill and I just picked up a watch and a plethora of watch crap from Amazon. I don’t want too many watch related charges on my card as mrs walrus will be asking questions.
    But why am I not seeing adds? I white listed this site on my addblocker so it should allow them to pop up. I know it weird to complain about not seeing adds but damnit, where are they.

19. Walrus Jul 19, 2022

Ok no longer a cheap bastard got the cheap tier membership which I guess technically makes me still a cheap bastard. Saw no adds for the three weeks or so I was not upgraded despite whitelisting this site which I found odd I was kinda hoping to see watch strap ads or ads for watches but it’s all good. When is the raffle for the Rolex?

noelekal likes this.
  20. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 19, 2022

Sorry mate… the Rolex raffle is only for tier 4 members. Tier one raffle is for an Invicta Cruise t-shirt.

vbrad26, DaveK, Syzygy and 3 others like this.