Forums Latest Members

OF Ad-Free Subscriptions Available Now

1. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 23, 2021

Mine says 5000 candles in the wind
    C82B50BE-FEE4-42C6-B9BB-7559DCBE0205.jpeg 0470AB31-7BEE-4BE1-AE01-3E894BEC4B22.jpeg

2. swissra Jul 23, 2021

3. swissra Jul 23, 2021

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2021

Nope anyone can be, and we really appreciate the support, if there is any issue with it not working let me know and we can look into it

5. swissra Jul 23, 2021

Lastly, what’s the difference between tier 1 and 2?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2021

It only really changes the title and color of the profile border we just give the option because there were people asking for both options so $50 still removes ads but people who would like to further support the site can opt for the $100 option

swissra likes this.
  7. swissra Jul 23, 2021

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

8. Walrus Jul 23, 2021

Ok so I did teir 1. I honestly wasn’t sure which one I did but i guess that’s the 50 dollar one? I actually was using the ads for a while as I was looking for watch sales but one time I mentioned my mother being in a nursing home and started getting ads for nursing homes. Didn’t realize it was targeted figured it would just be watch ads I could check out. But I didn’t get like a personal handle under my avatar. Is that only when you do teir two or whichever one I didn’t pick? I really wanted noob or eggman and just expected it to magically happen. Gotta be honest I’m fine without it but since I expected it to happen and it didn’t I was deeply depressed for like 1/10th of a second. I bounced back like a champ though and required very little treatment. Lots of meds just no like talk therapy or anything.

MTROIS, DaveK and gemini4 like this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 23, 2021

I think it’s in my profile that Trev created a page where you can create it

10. Flyguy Jan 4, 2022

I look forward to having an ad-free experience after I reach 200 posts. Can't really justify it until then. I rarely post because almost everything I think to ask or any topic I'm interested in has already been covered. Then if I bring any of those topics up there are the inevitable "have you tried to use search?" responses.

It will be great to be ad-free in a few more years!

Foo2rama and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  11. WhatYourWatchSay Jan 4, 2022

Oh boy, how I love those "do a search" replies :cautious:

I feel the same way as you @Flyguy. I come here to start a thread, decide to search first and sure enough the question has already been asked and answered.

Flyguy likes this.
  12. Flyguy Jan 4, 2022

Yet you have over 1k in posts! For 200 I will need to post about 4 times a week for a year. Maybe when the kids are out of the house in 17 years.

I guess I could do a daily wrist shot. I need to work on my photography skills.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  13. WhatYourWatchSay Jan 4, 2022

I think most of those are sales listings :D

Flyguy likes this.
  14. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 4, 2022

Not sure I see the logic. Why does 200 posts justify having an ad free experience?
    You already have most of the functionality that everyone else does. The only things that change are the ability to post a watch for sale and to post a WTB request.
    Edit. I have never sold watch on OF or put in a WTB post but don't feel I am missing too much.

Syrte and gemini4 like this.
  15. Flyguy Jan 4, 2022

I can't see the point in financially supporting a site when I am not qualified to post sales or WTB posts. Maybe I am just used to the forums related to my other hobby of knives. In those places you get to participate in sales when you pay a subscription.

I know there is probably good reasoning behind the practice. But I don't have time nor do I want to waste anyone else's time with pointless posts to get to that place. Watches are just a small hobby of mine, and I have little of value to offer in the way of comments. I spend less time here because I put watches for sale elsewhere. The less time I spent here, the less interest I have in removing ads.

Keep asking me questions though...at this rate I'll get to 200 and pay for a subscription in no time!

16. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 4, 2022

OK. Thanks for the explanation to better understand. If selling is your main reason for being on the forum I can see how that would bother you.
    The way I think of things is that OF is a place for watch enthusiasts to gather and discuss their hobby rather than a sales site per se.
    The fact that like minded people can also sell between themselves I see as a bonus and I respect that members need to be established and develop some kind of trust beforehand.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 4, 2022

There is good reasoning behind the practice. This isn't a sales site, but a site for people to gather and talk about watches. The sales site is simply an added benefit of the site, not it's purpose.

18. Flyguy Jan 4, 2022

You all must have missed my first post. I do enjoy reading all of the information about the watches, and really don't have much of anything to sell. Maybe 1 or 2 watches a year.

The problem is that everything has already been discussed. I always use search because I see the responses to people that do not, and I always find what I'm looking for here or at WUS. It is more that I think that if I'm paying a subscription that I should be able to participate in sales, not that I really have a bunch to sell.

I think I'm just not enough of a watch guy to participate in the intended fashion, and that is fine. Like knives, it would probably help my interest in the hobby if I could actually buy/sell/trade different watches to try them out. I'll pop in on occasion and see if I can find what I'm looking for. If the rare occasion arises when I do not find something I'll post.

Edited Jan 4, 2022
    Gav1967 likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 4, 2022

I saw your post - I was simply telling you why the practice exists - it had nothing to do with you.

Flyguy and Gav1967 like this.
  20. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 4, 2022

I read all your posts and stated that I understood why, in your case, you might feel the way you do. My further comments were explaining my own perspective of the forum and were in no way a criticism.

Flyguy likes this.