Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. sgrossma Oct 5, 2020

If one is strictly concerned with values and nothing else. It could be 2 years before the secondary market gets fully saturated...maybe. But life is short. Sit by and wait as 1/40th of your life passes by hoping that the watch becomes available for lesser!? :)

2. Morseman Oct 5, 2020

Love it!!!

This will probably be my last Speedmaster.

Speedo_Fr, Pun, E-wotch and 1 other person like this.
  3. nismo Oct 5, 2020

Well I already ordered one of those 50th ann Snoopy watches through my OB and I will enjoy it for life as I won't sell. I am referring to why Omega would be better off limiting the number and/or timeframe for this price range watch rather than milk it for everything it's got. Sure maybe short term they can make more, but longterm it wont' be smart.

4. speednoober Oct 5, 2020

5. wouter van wijk Oct 5, 2020

Yep the regular speedmaster has been a bargain for years and years. imho this watch is on par with a submariner in being a true icon and thereby very robust. They should be priced more on a similar kind of level, especially after these anticipated updates (ceramic bezel and Metas co-axial). The entry-level no-date sub is priced at 7700 euros and the regular speedmaster is priced at € 4.900,0. so there is a gap of €2800. Most likely they will close this gap a bit but still price it cheaper than a no-date sub. Still the global brand presence and equity of the Rolex brand is way bigger due to the vast bigger marketing expenditure

Martin_J_N likes this.
  6. Martin_J_N Oct 5, 2020

Why won't it benefit Omega to sell as many of these watches as they can, the more they sell the bigger the profit they make. Not everyone buying this watch will buy another Omega, for many this could well be their 'one' watch.

7. Croc Oct 5, 2020

The actual design doesn’t quite work for me, I much prefer the photoshopped one

nahckered likes this.
  8. bobby shankit Oct 5, 2020

Ok my bad :oops:, meant Snoopy Award :thumbsup: tbh it's better in the flesh than i thought, even has lume :) do really like the look of the 50th Anniversary though but will have to get a steel strap and a deployant clasp

E-wotch likes this.
  9. hb8745 Oct 5, 2020

Exclusivity, wether that's through price point or production numbers. You won't feel as good about your snoopy if everyone in your office was rocking one (generally speaking, maybe that doesn't bother you).

At $10k, this very much could be the "one watch" for some people. But when you're at that price point and can only chose 1, I would argue that this watch, and moreso the brand, have a lot more competiton. Now if my collection was already mostly in that price range, another one shouldn't be a huge sell, but I also don't have a multi $10k+ collection.

10. s2000_driver Oct 5, 2020

I am looking for this information as well. The case is very similar to the Apollo 11 50th which is about 14mm thick. Considering the moving parts on the case back, I won't be surprised if it goes over 15mm.

11. rominvicta Oct 5, 2020

Wonder what would you say concerning the regular Moonwatch then? Everyone may have it and still it remains popular, cherished and praised for what it is in spite of not being exclusive.

12. TokenMao Oct 5, 2020

Well I think there will be a marked difference in how easy it is to get between this "non-limited" snoopy and other "non-limited" watches like the standard moonwatch where you can walk into any OB or AD and walk out with one on your wrist. I've heard range of 5-10k units over 2 year production time. That seems reasonable and gives them flexibility to adjust to demand, but that's not the same thing as completely meeting demand or maximizing the number of watches they sell. They can produce a high number of units but still not meet demand, for example, A11 50th had 7k units and that wasn't enough. That is to say the bigger determinant of how easily you can get a snoopy is going to be how much demand there is, if demand is super weak and they can barely cross a few thousand then yeah this will probably be super easy to get, if demand is very strong they'll adjust to it up to a certain extent but likely aren't going to match it completely.

They're looking to maximize long term profitability and that involves taking into account brand prestige, exclusivity, and desirability. Given how they're trying to move upmarket they need to create / maintain a perception of exclusivity as that matters more for long term profitability (just look at Rolex). Rolex could sell way more Subs, GMTs, and Daytonas than it actually produces, but because those are exclusive and that exclusivity is desirable, the Rolex brand then becomes associated with those attributes, and people who can't get a SS Daytona "settle" for a precious metal Daytona or a datejust instead. If the best long term strategy was just to try and sell as many watches as possible then why would they have bothered with LE at all in the past? Just make everything non-LE and produce and sell as many watches as they can. My guess is that they chose what's effectively limited production instead of LE this time around because they had a hard time forecasting demand given the pandemic and didn't want to meaningfully undershoot or overshoot. The strategy of "make as many snoopies as we can sell" doesn't seem to be a smart long term strategy because Omega as a business is more than just a line of snoopy speedmasters.

13. jzra Oct 5, 2020

Sorry if someone have already commented here about it but why Omega named this caliber as 3861 if clearly this one have extra parts to allow the ship and erth moves? Shouldn't it have another variation number for this caliber?

Speedo_Fr likes this.
  14. hb8745 Oct 5, 2020

Great watch, but the key here is "for what it is." And by that I mean with respect to its price point. At half the price I wouldn't expect the same level of exclusivity as a watch which costs twice as much. Is this snoopy really worth $5k over the regular moonwatch? Maybe, maybe not depending on the person.

15. s2000_driver Oct 5, 2020

I was wondering the same thing. 1861 has so many variants - even a different finish has a different number. This one for sure has some additional parts.

16. Martin_J_N Oct 5, 2020

17. Morseman Oct 5, 2020

I had placed a deposit in September and just heard from my OB. Was told that delivery time would probably be based on spending history, so it looks like I may get my Silver Snoopy Award about the same time I get my COVID vaccination - Q3, 2021.

SwissZ and rominvicta like this.
  18. hb8745 Oct 5, 2020

Wow that's a long wait. They're collecting the remainder upon delivery right?

19. Pepe Lucas Oct 5, 2020

I like the new Sub too but I think that because Rolex keeps it’s DNA so nicely in all the generations, if you have seen one Sub, you have seen them all. This is a different piece and regardless of the units that Omega might produce it will be more unique than a Sub.

YY77 likes this.
  20. secretagent Oct 5, 2020

I heard from my OB, good news they said I was guaranteed a watch, bad news, they have no idea when. They said I was number 44 on the reservation list.