Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. hb8745 Oct 1, 2020

That's part of the business model of streetwear brands like Supreme and the like

2. hb8745 Oct 1, 2020

From watchuseek forums, so take it for what its worth, but bezel will be blue and other color (dial i assume) will be silvery white

3. YY77 Oct 1, 2020

Omega, Ford and so on want to make the end customer happy so Supreme may or may not run a business model based on flippers but they are the minority IMHO.

4. Meme-Dweller Oct 1, 2020

(laughs in Rolex)

hb8745 and texasmade like this.
  5. Omega-Q Oct 1, 2020

I think if people are so concerned about resale value, etc, then the flippers and grey market certainly have a lot to do with it. That's the only reason why Rolex has such high values for "non limited edition" watches. I think Omega would rather make available watches to their customers....

Martin_J_N likes this.
  6. Snoopsta Oct 1, 2020

Not sure if its been mentioned in any earlier threads but my AD (part of a large independent) informed me that Omega told them they were unlikely to get any Apollo 13 pieces. AD took that as most probably Boutique only edition.

7. hb8745 Oct 1, 2020

Yes different companies have different business models. Obviously no cpg company is going to want or even care about flippers.

Within luxury goods specifically, I don't think the strategy is as scarce as you'd think. To be sure, no one is directly targeting flippers as the target consumer, but acknowledging and accepting that they may be part of your demographic group may not necessarily be a terrible thing. It also depends on what you define as making the end customer happy. As evidenced with the last snoopy, those with money are more happy to spend the $30k premium to get the watch, rather than not get it at all.

If your definition of making customers happy is getting a watch at MSRP, then they're going to have to keep matching supply with demand. Now your customers who care about retention value are going to get diluted, hence the interest in LE. It's hard to make everyone happy in this sense without diluting brand equity. All luxury brands incorporate some level of scarcity into their strategy, and I think that goes hand in hand with secondary markets.

Of course Ford want to make their end consumer happy, but that doesn't mean they can appease everyone. Look at the GT and the new Bronco. If I really wanted one (and had the money) at least now I have the option to buy one, albeit for a premium. If you think about it, dealerships are effectively flippers as well when it comes to oversubscribed models.

speedypants and phooi like this.
  8. Texex Oct 1, 2020

Yes but.... That is the difference between a company like Omega vs say Rolex. Omega will undoubtedly produce a ton of these (my guess is over 7000) and make a huge profit. I'm sure it will be a nice watch for for most collectors it won't feel special. Everyone complains about Rolex and the limited supply of SS sport models but it has elevated the brand even more. By limiting production Rolex is making less than they possibly could in the short term but they are playing the long game. I believe that if Omega limited this release (along with having less LE overall) it would help boost the overall brand. Omega will never be Rolex and I don't want them too but brand protection is always a good idea.

E-wotch and hb8745 like this.
  9. E-wotch Oct 1, 2020

Agreed. Different business models.

10. YY77 Oct 1, 2020

OK, but still nowhere in any company mission statement flippers are mentioned being of importance in their business model.

11. midimanwatch Oct 1, 2020

Good reply.

Omega need to protect the brand by limiting the supply of some of their current models and also cutting back on all of these limited edition models where they are not necessary.

It is working wonders for Rolex.

12. phooi Oct 1, 2020

i believe the point is that secondary market (flippers) are a natural extension of free markets. If there is not enough supply, people who want it are willing to pay more to have it. This is where the flipping/grey/secondary markets happen. While luxury companies are not explicit about “flipping”, scarcity is often equated with luxury.

hb8745 likes this.
  13. hb8745 Oct 1, 2020

I hope you're being sarcastic here. Have you ever even read a mission statement? Outside of charities and non-profits, mission statements of large corporates provide almost nothing of substance in describing their business model. Certain strategic direction will never be outlined on paper, and certainly not in the mission statement nor in a 10K. If i wanted to learn about a base business, the mission statement would be the last place I would look, but that's just me.

14. E-wotch Oct 1, 2020

I believe "counterfeits" or "replicas" are a bigger issue for the watch industry when you look at how lucrative that business is. Just saying.

pw92676 likes this.
  15. Evitzee Oct 1, 2020

Back in the 90's the simple Swatch watch had a mini-craze when many models, especially limited edition ones made in the tens of thousands, would suddenly become unavailable. Flippers were all over the place and prices shot up. Old man Hayek didn't like all this action for a $40 plastic watch so they tried all kinds of things like lotteries, come into a boutique one day to pay and come again the next day to pick it up, and other methods. Hayek's position was he wanted to produce enough so that if someone really wanted one he could get one but it may require a bit of effort on the buyer. The same thing is happening now with these LE's, if a buyer really wants one he can probably get one. It may take some effort (deposit and waiting time) but you'll be able to score one at the list price. We'll see how they run this new release.

16. Furze Oct 1, 2020

Am I missing something here, but why are you and others referring to this pending release as a limited edition? My OB contact tell me otherwise.

watchme and orlis like this.
  17. hb8745 Oct 1, 2020

I heard categorically that it would be Limited Production and not LE.

18. GT3 Oct 1, 2020

I could care less if LE or LP. I just hope it’s a cool nice looking watch with its own identity to add to the collection. If so, I’d likely never sell it, so whether it goes up or down in price don’t matter. Don’t care if a million people or 1000 have it.

19. texasmade Oct 1, 2020

I heard categorically from my OB that it would be a LE so until an announcement is made the only people that know are Omega HQ.

phooi and YY77 like this.
  20. midimanwatch Oct 1, 2020

I've seen some funny replicas, but I've also seen some that have made me think OMG. How can they make something so near to the article for so little.

Like Breitling, IWC and U-Boat.

Those guys must have some big issues with replicas.