Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. s2000_driver Jul 29, 2020

Yes, that's what I've heard as well. It is not limited edition. It will however, be limited production like the Apollo 8 50th. My guess is two-tone, flat link bracelet with 3861 movement priced in the same range as the Apollo 8 5th.

Japanred likes this.
  2. phooi Jul 29, 2020

Like I said, there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason on how the OBs are handling this. I would think they would have a better system given the headaches on the 45th. For the 45th, my OB was taking $1k deposits except I had to pay the full amount to hold the last spot. It was a mess with a lot of unhappy people. I was able to get my snoopy because I was the only one who actually paid for it.

So I don’t know if you have history with this OB. I know people who put their names on a “waitlist” but weren’t contacted to put a deposit. My AD was explicit about who they were going to contact for the 50th. The folks I know who put their names on the list didn’t get a call.

Again, take everything I say with a grain of salt since Omega doesn’t seem to have any system in place. I do hope you get your watch.

WatchNurse likes this.
  3. phooi Jul 29, 2020

It’s hard to believe that it will not be a LE. I can’t imagine Omega wanting to deal with licensing required to have snoopy on your watch. Also, you can’t in good conscious market a 50th anniversary snoopy award next year. Omega would have to pivot so it wouldn’t be the 50th any more. Instead it will just be called the Silver snoopy.

Dedlock, Martin_J_N and Japanred like this.
  4. Dedlock Jul 29, 2020

agreed, as mentioned before it would be very strange to have snoopy as a mainline production watch, it makes more sense as a fun limited edition not a mainline entry with phased releases over the next X number of years.

Omega doesn't own snoopy so as you mentioned licensing will be a nightmare if they produce this annually. I think it makes more sense for a limited edition with a fixed amount of watches.

5. Martin_J_N Jul 29, 2020

Ah, but that is what the original communication from Omega stated, "Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of being presented with Snoopy'. At no time has there been any mention of A13 or a watch. For all we know Omega could issue a paperweight with a Silver Snoopy insert.

That there are so many different versions (via the extremely well informed AD/OB network :whistling: ) of what is going to happen only serves to confirm that no one actually knows what the announcement will be.

Assuming that it is a watch that is announced, I am fairly confident that it will be a LE but with a large number of pieces, around 10,000, simply to stop the markups that exist on the last Snoopy. Omega may also do two versions one in SS (10,000 or so made) and one in full precious metal with a solid silver Snoopy caseback in a run of 1970 watches. My guess on prices would be around £10,000 for the SS watch and £30,000 for the PM version, both with the 3861 movement.

At the same time Omega will announce that the 3861 will be the new calibre in the Moonwatch and the 1861 is being discontinued.

david5807 and YY77 like this.
  6. s2000_driver Jul 29, 2020

Valid points. I won’t be surprised if Omega marketing folks may come up something similar to the narrative for the Apollo 8 DSOM. I have no idea how snoopy licensing works. I mean I’ve seen officially licensed t-shirts and dog accessories selling for less than $20. Makes me wonder if the royalties are not very hefty. I am thinking out loud here. I may be completely wrong on this one. But one thing I’ve been repeatedly told is that it won’t be an LE. I am just the messenger.

7. EricCsN Jul 29, 2020

Affordability is super important
    Has to be a watch. Omega is not selling paperweight, that is not their core, main stream business. Letting the opportunity passed...that is not business sense 101

8. Martin_J_N Jul 29, 2020

I know that it will be a watch (at least I bloody well hope it is :) ) my comment was very much tongue in cheek and more to say to those advising that any watch is going to be an A13 50th was that the initial announcement from Omega stated that they are Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of being presented with the Snoopy Award. So everyone can guess on what that will be, but only Omega know.

Now where is that Moonwatch paperweight :D

EricCsN and YY77 like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 29, 2020

My prediction

Same watch as 50th with a silver theme instead of gold with a silver Snoopy on the buzz butt sub dial

79B8E92A-A173-4F2B-BD17-43EAE00C36D1.gif

Martin_J_N and SpeedyPhill like this.
  10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 29, 2020

@STANDY that could be very close... as they "reworked" the Apollo 8 into team Alinghi, they could go that same way Apollo-Snoopy wise :whistling:

11. Hoddspur Jul 29, 2020

I recall some people on here saying that the ST2 was way over-priced at £4,750 ($6,158) but now figures of 10k-20k are being banded around, and gleefully accepted as new normal, for a possible limited-ish edition with another Snoopy on it? How times have changed!

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  12. WatchNurse Jul 29, 2020

Yeah, it seems like given the resell values of the previous Snoopy watches, it's become accepted to have an MSRP of at least 10k. I think that would be the cut off for me...obviously depending on the design/materials used. It would be nice if they made enough of them to go around for those who missed out on the first two Snoopy's.

Hoddspur likes this.
  13. Vale21 Jul 29, 2020

I bet for a Snoopy pricing around 10k or more unfortunately. That will depend of course of the use of white gold or other metals...

Omega is changing is category and trying to be closer to Rolex's prices but with much more fun and research/developpment.

Will be a bit disapointed if the next snoopy comes at 10k or more when you know that the last one was around 7k that seems to be a big gap...

Waiting for the 5th to get some answers...

Hoddspur likes this.
  14. YY77 Jul 29, 2020

Well I've been looking for a reason to have just one and only Speedy in the A11 50SS so
    hard pass for me if watch is similar to that and equally or more in price. not looking for a watch just because the old Snoopy commands such high resale prices.

WatchNurse and Vale21 like this.
  15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 29, 2020

If it's going to be another "expensive" watch, maybe better to pay that amount of money for an early 2003 or 2015 Snoopy version !

16. Vale21 Jul 29, 2020

Hope you are wrong for all the fans expecting to buy one;)

17. Vale21 Jul 29, 2020

Hope they have more competences that what you think and that they will give us some novelties and fresh design

Dedlock likes this.
  18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 29, 2020

Indeed... counting on that and hopefully it comes in a nice smaller "special" box than the usal large bootsize shoebox of the current Speedmaster :D

Dedlock likes this.
  19. Vale21 Jul 29, 2020

I also think they could make an effort with the box and work on it.

They already use the large box for the 321 plat and the 321 steel.

david5807 likes this.
  20. EricCsN Jul 29, 2020

No price gouging please OMEGA.