Forums Latest Members

October 5th 2020 - Snoopy Celebration

1. bobby shankit Oct 7, 2020

Just fed up of reading pages and pages of "experts" who for the most part are not, talking and telling others how, when, and if they'll ever get their watch coz they are so much more in the know than others :rolleyes:, i said 50 odd pages ago about people chatting rubbish and it's still going on ::yawn::

Soulcreek, Martin_J_N, phooi and 3 others like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 7, 2020

3. omegabruh Oct 7, 2020

OB just informed me that US deposits are stopping today. Called another OB to “put down a deposit” and they said the same thing that HQ has instructed OB’s to stop taking deposits.

4. hb8745 Oct 7, 2020

Well I'm glad that you see most things in life in such black and white, must be nice...

You do realize there is a middle ground in between liking it and not liking it right?

5. hb8745 Oct 7, 2020

i think we're saying the same thing.

6. texasmade Oct 7, 2020

It's kind of funny that Fratello probably has better information than OB SA's. He was probably the first one to get an EW 321 SS while most boutiques haven't seen one in person at all. I'm guessing he probably already has his Snoopy 50th too. Seems like production #1 of any special Speedmaster goes to RJ.

7. harrymai86 Oct 7, 2020

Maybe a stupid question but any chance the caseback animation glows in the dark :D

E-wotch likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 7, 2020

No he has to wait like us, maybe not as long though. ;)
    He has mentioned this on many occasions and he even mentioned the one he used the other day had to go back.
    He even had to pay for a second ST1 IIRC

9. Evitzee Oct 7, 2020

Considering his association with #SpeedyTuesday on Fratello, plus involvement in the ST #1 and #2 LE watches, he is probably Omega's best source to read the pulse of the Omega Speedmaster world and one of their best unofficial brand ambassadors. Of course he is going to the head of the line.

Caliber561, Eve, Archer and 2 others like this.
  10. texasmade Oct 7, 2020

No doubt he had to buy but I'm saying if he says to want to buy then he gets allocation #1.

He got me into Speedmasters. I was more of a Seamaster person until ST1 came along. Now I'm into both.

11. dscoogs Oct 7, 2020

It’s going to be between RJ and George Clooney :D

taz101 and texasmade like this.
  12. pw92676 Oct 7, 2020

Eventually you just make a decision. It’s just a watch.

Not intending this to come off sarcastically but it’s kind of like seeing something on a menu that you aren’t sure If you want or not: at some point you gotta decide if your going to order or not.

Yes I know this is not a “cheap”’watch. Affordability is all relative. Knowing the pricepoint, knowing the design, the decision will go one way or another. You may not know today or tomorrow but eventually you will know.

What I think is awesome with Omega is that the consumer can make the decision. Not the situation with many other brands. For the mass produced Daytona, that decision isn’t in your hands. For a limited edition Frosted Gold AP RO, the decision isn’t in your hands. To me, actually having option to buy this, whether it’s limited or not, is awesome.

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 7, 2020

I think he took another number, it wasn’t #1 on ST1 he mentioned it at the time. Was a early number that he picked for a reason of sentimentality but not #1
    He commented that he didn’t even think of getting 1861 when I mentioned that was my pick in the first few minutes of release and I was surprised it hadn’t been taken. ;)

14. Hoddspur Oct 7, 2020

Don’t know if it’s already been said but I think this watch will long be remembered as the watch where ‘Omega did a Rolex.’ It might well be produced for a couple of years but it isn’t going to be found in AD display cases anytime soon - being on a fictitious waiting list (apart from the first adopters) ain’t gonna help either. In addition, it’s now part of the ‘Snoopy trilogy’ meaning collectors will want the complete set and again will only serve to drive up pre-owned prices to even more Ridiculousville-Arizona levels. Obviously all IMHO.

Nice watch though :)

Edited Oct 7, 2020
    taz101 likes this.
  15. scapa Oct 7, 2020

Surprised about the ceramic bezel not having been treated with lume. That seems like an easy win.

I have a deposit down now on the understanding that I'll receive it before 2nd quarter 2021 with an option to cancel at any point. They've shut down the waiting list already at my AD. I fully expect Omega to sell every Snoopy they make.

16. hb8745 Oct 7, 2020

I've had a chance to sleep on this now for a few days, so here's my middle ground perspective (in order of importance):

Pros:
    SNOOPY

Cons/Potential Dealbreakers:
    Underwhelming lume, especially on snoopy himself
    Specific shade of Blue - Need to see this first hand (could be fine), but the blue has just too much jazz for me. Throws the character of the watch over the top (not in a good way). 45th was effortless in class, understated, and a real sleeper from a distance. When you put a cartoon dog on a $10k watch, you're walking a fine line. I think with the blue, this one crossed the line of playful elegance, to borderline tacky. It may look good to some of you now, but I really don't think the blue will age well for those that are planning on keeping for life.
    Versatility - I'm having some issues on imagining when I'd wear this. 100% would get sht on at work, not really for formal occasions, so that just leaves it for the weekends? Don't see myself wearing this enough to really justify spending that much on it.
    No bracelet
    Price / Upfront Payment / Wait Time

Neutral:
    Back - I'm in the minority here, but after a few days, the back has already lost its initial novelty. It's cool, and I can appreciate Omega going out of the box here, but its just not beautiful or unique as the 45th back was.
    Production Levels - Not exactly a dealbreaker, but would be nice to have a sense of their production plans if I'm going to be waiting for over a year.

Bottom line is I'm not drooling over the watch, but part (snoopy) of it still appeals to me. Its nice, but not quite sure if it's "lend Omega 11g for 12 months+ nice". In all honesty, last bit to me is a slap in the face, and Omega know they can get away with it just because the demand is there. It's like the 6/10 who starts acting like a 9 because there are simps out there who will give here the validation she requires. Am I the only one here who has a problem with this? If Omega booking deferred rev on a watch for 2 years out seems like a totally acceptable thing for you guys, then they've got some of you by the leash.

17. savio.79 Oct 7, 2020

The glowing Snoopy Rocket will be available only for customers who can prove having a luminous wrist, since the caseback can't absorb the sunlight :-D

Caliber561 and s2000_driver like this.
  18. Pun Oct 7, 2020

I read somewhere that he takes number 13 on the limited edition watch..

STANDY likes this.
  19. hb8745 Oct 7, 2020

Great for you that you're in the financial position to make a purchase decision on a $10k cartoon watch as easily as you make menu selections. Some people have to think about it.

If you really want to go by your absurd menu example, this would be more accurate. "So many great entrees I'm not sure if I want to get the arctic char, but maybe I'll try it next time.""Great sir, it is a very popular dish but everyone who wants one can get one while its still on menu. We'll just bill you out now though (with tax+tip of course) so you can have the privilege of enjoying our fantastic dish next year!" "Great, I'd be happy to pay up front for this privilege, would you like my SSN as well?"

The only way this should be tolerated is if you're EMP level, and even they aren't making you pay for a reservation a year out.

20. mjb Oct 7, 2020

Great first post!