Forums Latest Members

Not all things in Australia want to kill you..........

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 30, 2017

Ah yeah, bull sharks.

The Labradors of the sea according to a guy I know :rolleyes:.

Another guy I know calls them mean aggressive indiscriminate hunting eating machines.

I believe the other guy.

tikkathree likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2017

When I was sailing one of the RQYS guys described them as being like "that little 5'3 ginger bloke who always tries to start fights at a pub", he reckoned a lot of bigger sharks are smarter and have better stuff to do than eat you most of the time but these guys will go for anything because they're just bastards.

Thrasher36 and JimInOz like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2017

Back to birds though, not sure if @JimInOz and @STANDY have seen this one but its brilliant:

Thrasher36, LouS, Longbow and 4 others like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Mar 30, 2017

Apart from "agressive" and "hunting", I'd say the last description is pretty spot on for a Lab.

kkt and JimInOz like this.
  5. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 30, 2017

Fakk my old boots! And there's me avoiding geese! Good job you've got the flying doctor knocking about chaps. Talking about dangerous things in Oz??? Rodney Rude kills me!:D

2017-03-30-12-51-28--994204441.jpeg
  6. jaspert Mar 30, 2017

Another typical day in rural Victoria, a 2 m long venomous Brown Snake photo bombing a cute toddler snap.....;)

She was not harmed luckily.

IMG_0094.PNG

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 31, 2017

I had one @JimInOz but apparently being from the NT I was a danger also ::facepalm2::::facepalm2::

Matty01, Alpha and JimInOz like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 31, 2017

Ah yes. I forgot about the other deadly Aussie.....................The Territorian!

DS.png

Thrasher36, STANDY and Matty01 like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 31, 2017

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2017

11. Cosd Apr 5, 2017

Here in the UK we panic if the next door neighbors cat comes into our garden :)

12. arcadelt Apr 5, 2017

Thrasher36 likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2017

Yep - they say right in the article it's not the venom...

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2017

I went to the garage to put my gardening boots on yesterday and noticed some web in one of Ms JIOs shoes.
    A good shot of insect spray and out comes the new resident.

I didn't tell her about it, I just vacuumed her shoes out and applied more residual spray around the garage perimeter.

WTS.JPG

Thrasher36, tikkathree and rhetoric like this.
  15. michael22 Apr 5, 2017

I heard some people have a weird immune reaction to the venom, leading to necrosis. Haven't heard anything official on it.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 15, 2017

My daughter just tagged me on Facebook.

upload_2017-4-16_12-52-20.png

The story behind it:

We were in my mighty Nissan 4WD, driving downhill on a dirt track on a pitch black night with Greg in the passenger seat.
    I said to Greg "look at that big bugger on the windscreen Greg!"
    Greg said "Not ON the windscreen, it's INSIDE Jim!"
    I didn't hear him say Jim, I just jumped out while we were doing about 20kph and left it all to Greg.
    A few bumps and bruises and plenty of scratches from where I landed in the scrub and Greg managed to stall the truck and bail out about twenty metres down the track.

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 15, 2017

I had a giant one behind the door handle on my car when parked at work like 6 years ago, and it was opposite a construction site full of tradies watching and I'm poking the bastard with a stick, trying to get him to move but he just won't. So I end up going in the passenger side and climbing over the center console to the drivers seat while they watched and laughed, didn't care, not sticking my hand in there. Was gone by the time I got out at home thankfully.

tikkathree and ahartfie like this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 15, 2017

I would've done the same.

We were driving back from Daylesford last year when one ran across the dash and down the crack near the passenger door.
    After a full on ABS controlled crash stop we both jumped out and saw it on the side of the dash. I got a branch of a gum tree and tried to flick it onto the ground only to knock it onto the floor where it ran under Annie's seat.
    After much brushing with the gum tree we found bits of it on the floor so figured out we killed it.
    The people driving past must have thought we were lunatics.

At home and up in the country we used to leave the windows down an inch or so to keep the car cool.
    We NEVER leave the windows down any more.

tikkathree and ahartfie like this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 16, 2017

My sister's godfather is this full on environmentalist type that insists snakes and spiders are completely harmless and wouldn't ever hurt a human, and my grandfather's recounting to him how a red belly black turned up in his neighbour's garage and had the neighbour terrified screaming for help when he came over. So this bloke says to him oh what it would have been is just because its been so dry and hot lately he likely had no access to water, so if you leave a saucer that's shallow enough for him to drink from out he'll not bother you any more. Grandfather goes "Well I don't know about that but I can tell you the bastard sure as shit ain't thirsty anymore" before going into how he chopped him up with a shovel and buried him 6 feet deep to avoid the stench while this bloke just looks on in shocked horror that he could do something like that to a poor harmless red belly black.

In the same area my uncle had one climb into his old '86 Mitsubishi TM Magna through the rust holes, he knew it was in there and just went nope, I don't care about that car anywhere near enough to mess with that, called a wrecker and had the car towed away without telling them it had an occupant lol

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 16, 2017

City boys :whistling: Just got back from work where I had to inspect pipes from overseas
    ( and catch a heap of spiders :eek: on Sunday overtime rates )