Forums Latest Members

Not all things in Australia want to kill you..........

1. queriver Aug 1, 2019

It was straightforward for me until someone decided to use a big word. :whipped:

JimInOz and blubarb like this.
  2. blubarb Aug 1, 2019

That's why Aussies have among the best (in my opinion ) fighting forces in the world :D The youth, like Spartans, are trained from birth to be alert and highly reactive to all possible threats especially in the desert, the scrub and the water, car yards and Rolex ADs. No joke, mate...eh?

And if you run into a blue-ringed octopussy, a summer's day at the beach can do you in. These little buggers hide in cans, under shells, in rocky pools - don't be alert and you'll assume room temperature quick enough.

"The blue-ringed octopus, despite its small size, carries enough venom to kill twenty-six adult humans within minutes. Their bites are tiny and often painless, with many victims not realizing they have been envenomated until respiratory depression and paralysis start to set in." As of 2019 no blue-ringed octopus antivenene is available.

Welcome to Australia and throw another prawn (shrimp) on the barbie, but check the wood pile first before you reach in...

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 8.33.30 PM.jpg

Oh...I forgot about the Drop Bears...

rhetoric and queriver like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 1, 2019

49463BD3-7107-445A-A20E-2EE832CF5951.jpeg

Just another Australian animal that can fruck you up

With a spur that can inflict pain that no pain killer around can ease not even morphine

Platypus
    Considering the large number of venomous creatures that inhabit Australia, the odd-looking, cute and clumsy platypus might seem like a safe option. Think again. A male platypus has ankle spurs that are capable of delivering a wicked sting. So wicked that the excruciating pain can incapacitate an adult human. The pain is also long-lasting, and can even turn into a condition called hyperalgesia, a heightened sensitivity to pain that may last for weeks or months following the initial sting.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/wild_thi...e_long_lasting_impervious_to_painkillers.html

4. queriver Aug 1, 2019

This photo shows the incredible situational awareness of our youth, continuously alert to all potential surrounding threats...

[​IMG]

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 1, 2019

They are on the Australian Danger Ranger app, you can see the girl in the white shorts plotting her way home
    4AE71FFC-CEE6-4590-AD17-11B3DFA49246.png

rhetoric, queriver and blubarb like this.
  6. blubarb Aug 1, 2019

Yep, that's them - bloody frightening aren't they... ? Beware. :rolleyes::D:D

marco and queriver like this.
  7. rob#1 Aug 1, 2019

I’m pretty sure that these guys don’t want to kill you - but you’d best not be too desperate to go...::love::

E08CBBB6-C77C-49E3-8DE2-4E694558F18C.png

Darlinboy and rhetoric like this.
  8. michael22 Aug 1, 2019

That brings back some memories!

9. queriver Aug 9, 2019

Video of some joeys (young kangaroos) playing together in a wildlife shelter.

Then they grow up, lose the cuteness and turn into muscle-bound fighters - much like humans really.

Wryfox likes this.
  10. Wryfox Aug 16, 2019

kingsrider and queriver like this.
  11. Walrus Aug 17, 2019

I don’t know if it was touched on here but I’ve seen documentaries about those red land crabs that invade certain spots in Australia. They were all over peoples houses, yards and roads. Any of you native Australians experience that

12. MRC Aug 17, 2019

Walrus likes this.
  13. Walrus Aug 17, 2019

Maybe this is better

14. Walrus Aug 17, 2019

I didn’t realize it was Christmas Island I saw the National Geographic doc too long ago. Still weird

15. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Aug 17, 2019

Australia couple injured in 'freak' goanna attack on their dog

[​IMG]

An elderly couple has been attacked in Australia by a goanna (a large lizard), as they tried to stop it from savaging their dog, emergency officials say.

The man, in his 70s, was said to have sustained significant injuries and was airlifted to hospital after the incident in north-eastern Queensland.

The woman, in her 60s, was also taken to hospital with an injury to her foot.

The couple's dog, a long-haired Jack Russell cross, was seriously injured.

Goannas can grow up to 2m (6.5ft) in length, though most varieties are under 1m, and rarely attack humans.

The rescue service described the attack which took place in Flametree near Airlie Beach, as "a horrific and freak ordeal".

"The man suffered a very serious laceration and possible fracture of his right forearm as well as severe bleeding from his leg wound. He was in considerable pain," ABC News quotes an ambulance worker as saying.

"The patients are quite lucky not to have been more seriously injured given that goannas can be quite savage," another ambulance worker told ABC, adding: "It doesn't happen every day, that's for sure."

The dog was earlier reported to have died, but ABC later reported that it had survived the attack.

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 4, 2019

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 5, 2019

One time when I was a kid my Dad went to get a chook for Sunday dinner and our old rooster went him.

Just once.

It wasn't as nice as a normal chook either, very tough.

MMMD and Emeister like this.
  18. Professor Sep 5, 2019

If you take any sort of blood thinner, or anticoagulant, you can bleed to death from minor injuries.
    Aspirin or Tynlenol can have the same effect in large doses.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 5, 2019

Got 7 stitches behind the ear as a 10 year old from a rooster..

Worked on Christmas Island for a bit amazing.
    Pic I took
    9534B9A5-6789-40BB-BEE1-5EE8A39EAA85.jpeg
    Brings the sea life around as well, whale sharks, Tuna and Wahoo.
    Had a national geographic experience chasing tuna during the red crab migration. Busting the surface as far as the eye could see 360 degrees around the boat with thousands of birds diving.......

Coconut crabs were the scary ones on the island
    F5E9BBA9-2165-4006-A1F5-8A25C5519CA7.jpeg

Shabbaz, Wryfox, michael22 and 3 others like this.
  20. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Sep 5, 2019

Haha we had a flock of bantams when I was a kid, and one of the roosters was an absolute psycho, used to chase us kids around the yard and one day planted both spurs in my great aunt’s backside while she was doing the weeding. My dad grabbed the machete and... that was the day I learned the meaning of “running around like a chicken with its head cut off.”

Edited Sep 5, 2019