Forums Latest Members
  1. BennaZAR Mar 6, 2020

Hey guys sorry if this has been discussed. I am saving for a vintage omega but i am in south africa canni ask advice on what to look for before making an expensive mistake. I know their modern collection quite well but I'm new in the vintage world. Ps never hurts seeing some favorite vintage pieces. Thanks

2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 6, 2020

Welcome to the forum...
    IMHO ... The most interesting vintage Omega Speedmaster is the 145.012-67 as for a decent price You'll get a 321 movement Pre-Moon Speedie... otherwise go for an early 1970s 145.022 (861 movement).
    More info:
    https://speedmaster101.com/about/

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 6, 2020

Read all the stickies and your questions will be answered.
    https://omegaforums.net/forums/vintage-omega-watches-help-discussion-and-advice.23/

connieseamaster and DaveK like this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 6, 2020

Welcome! Also, feel encouraged to ask questions about potential purchase here before you buy it.

efauser likes this.
  5. jsducote Mar 6, 2020

Omega has been making watches for quite a while, so your request for "vintage" is rather vague. Why don't you show us pictures of what you're interested in?

Waltesefalcon and DaveK like this.
  6. kip595 Mar 6, 2020

I agree with some of the previous comments, it's much easier for us to help seeing pics or at least knowing models you're interested in; though best of all will be asking (with pics) about specific watches you are considering from ebay, online dealers, sellers, etc.

Good luck, but be careful, there is a LOT of information out there.

7. Waltesefalcon Mar 6, 2020

Yup, your question is way too vague, pretty much each of us will send you in a different direction. For example, I'll tell you to forget the Speedmaster mentioned above and go for a Connstellation, someone else may tell you to pickup a Seamaster, and yet someone else will tell you that you must have a 30T2, etc., etc., etc.

OMEGuy likes this.
  8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 6, 2020

Your budget will either expand or eliminate many options. Then you will need to narrow down to the type. Tool watch, chronograph, dress, gold ,stainless etc etc.

kip595, dougwhiz and Dan S like this.
  9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 6, 2020

I wish that I knew to consider radium or non-radium before I started a collection.

timecube likes this.
  10. dougwhiz Mar 6, 2020

As long as you use the proper storage case, there shouldn't be an issue.

Simpsons radioactive.jpg

11. BennaZAR Mar 12, 2020

I like the speedmaster CK2998 find that a 40mm watch fits perfectly for me. Alpha hands are gorgeous. Also love the pie pan dial constellations fron 1964 constellations with the oie oan dial 34mm, as a dress piece,

12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 13, 2020

well, you’ve pretty much bookended the Omega collecting world in one statement.

there is nothing wrong with wanting to own both by the way - but I think you did ask where to start.
    Budget will have a lot to do with what you can reasonably aspire to but that aside, you need to decide what you want first and focus on learning about those watches.

And as noted above, pics of what you have found to date will help.
    E.g stating a “1964 Constellation pie pan” is confusing, because I can think of at least 2 case styles, with a couple of different dial combinations that meet that description, each are different and each have their merits.
    So, if you show us what you have seen, you may get some more constructive comments.

OMEGuy likes this.
  13. Edward53 Mar 13, 2020

You need to be extremely careful, extremely patient, meticulous at researching fine details and not be poor. The river you are looking at jumping into is full of crocodiles and they tend to gravitate round the models you mentioned. Just saying!

OMEGuy likes this.