Forums Latest Members

Reliable watchmaker for vintage timepieces in Southwest Germany / Switzerland

1. Henneth Mar 25, 2018

Hi all

I am in need of a reliable watchmaker in said area, preferably around 100 kilometres from Basel.
    He should be competent in servicing vintage watches, Omega and Longines in particular. He should also clearly document what has been done. Doesn't have to necessarily be photos but in the end I want to know what has been done and what not. Any recommendation is appreciated... :)

2. chipsotoole Mar 25, 2018

If you're in Basel you should be spoiled for choice...

3. Henneth Mar 26, 2018

I think that's a common misconception. Almost all watchmakers here are in-house watchmakers that normally don't touch vintage timepieces. Only a few are independent and even fewer are specialized in vintage watches. However I found two which I might check out:
    http://www.uhren-atelier.com (guy from England, main focus seems to be clocks)
    http://www.herzoguhren.ch (does have some photos of his work under "aktuelle Arbeiten")

4. chipsotoole Mar 27, 2018

Der Uhrendoktor in Nürnberg. he's done a lot of mine and has recently accepted a postal repair from Munich from another OF member who mentioned me...

Henneth likes this.
  5. Alphasports Mar 28, 2018

You can also try Gubelin, they have several stores around SUI but I have had excellent service at the main Luzern shop. They rebuilt a house-brand (Gubelin) gold wristwatch inherited from my grandfather, restored it to as-new some 60 years after he bought it, still had parts! I also bought my Seamaster there.

Henneth likes this.
  6. Henneth Mar 29, 2018

Thanks for your input. I found somebody who I will entrust with one of my newly acquired vintage watches and see where it goes... ;)