Forums Latest Members
  1. Stufflers Mom Nov 7, 2019

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  2. GTAKnights Nov 7, 2019

what is the real reason for the departures? I get that Seiko can claim to they have been treated unfairly against the Swiss brands but why did Swatch also drop out? Are they going to other shows?

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 7, 2019

Its a pretty serious blow considering how successful and horologically significant Seiko is.

4. Ville_W Nov 7, 2019

5. CPRwatch Nov 7, 2019

Baselworlds loss AFAIC & its already on a slippery slope for me .Baselworld was the No1 in the world for unveiling the latest & greatest. Oh well, nothing lasts forever .

Wetworks likes this.
  6. Stufflers Mom Nov 7, 2019

I think they have enough new product launched every year to hold their own shows, perhaps one in Japan and other somewhere in Europe.

7. Uniqez Nov 7, 2019

It makes sense not to spend money on the trade show. With internet, social media, brand ambassadors people are going to buy anyways.

P.S. Company I work for is participating in the multiple trade shows every year. Huge amount of money getting spend for every show. Just for 3 days of an actual exhibition, crew goes week before the show and stays 3 days after the show.

Jim W likes this.
  8. Evitzee Nov 7, 2019

The world has changed from the times when retailers trekked to Basel to see the new offerings, made their orders and then displayed the new watches around September for the customers to buy. Customers never knew what was in the pipeline, they were surprised when they visited the retailer in the fall. Now everyone knows in real time what the new stuff will be through leaks, forums and other means. Fairs are not needed for most sellers of watches anymore.

9. michael22 Nov 7, 2019

Baselworld simply isn't adding value. I hink many companies are happy to add multipole avenues of promotion.
    They must look at the cost/benefit of Baselworld & say "it's no longer worth it."

10. Om3ga321 Nov 8, 2019

The times are a changing.
    New world.

11. Ssunnylee24 Nov 8, 2019

I am actually glad this is happening since how Swiss has been treating visitors for Basel each year.

Jim W likes this.
  12. asrnj77 Nov 8, 2019

13. zoohannover Nov 8, 2019

It seems that, as in the automotive industry, for example, watch companies are trying to find new ways to sell their products.
    Even some of the big players (Volvo, Rolls-Royce, Nissan, Renault, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet, ...) have e.g. canceled at the IAA 2019 in Frankfurt.

The trend seems to be moving away from the usual big fairs and towards more flexible marketing activities such as in-house fairs, special promotions for aficionados, road shows, ...

14. shoota70 Nov 8, 2019

Basel is like a Stock Broker. 90% dead dinosaur as the whole world watches to see when it falls dead to the ground.

It is a tough world for "middle men" and getting tougher.

Woops likes this.
  15. ejj Nov 8, 2019

Basel is done. They are trying to stop the bleeding but the problem is only partly their making. Yes, they were profiteering idiots who played favorites. But more so modern retail has changed, the the big shows are done.

16. michael22 Nov 8, 2019

I see place for shows, precisely because retail is done. They must be consumer friendly, not aimed at retail. People who buy on the internet still like to see things IRL.

Wetworks and ejj like this.
  17. ejj Nov 8, 2019

I agree to a point—they are now consumer shows. It seems that smaller shows for direct-to-consumer goods are doing well. But many companies have found success with hosting their own dealer events. They have also put more support into local/store events. I’m
    Speaking broadly of retail—not just watches. I’m sure there are exceptions.

pascs and michael22 like this.
  18. Njnjcfp88 Nov 8, 2019

Unless the “middleman” is providing comprehensive financial planning ... then the stockbroker charges 1% annual fees his AUM. No asteroid anywhere near my terra firma... and in no danger of such.

19. Fabrice M Nov 24, 2019

I think the short answer is that Bezel charges millions and watch manufactures feel they don’t get much as far as ROI. A business model that doesn’t make financial sense in this day and age.

20. shoota70 Nov 25, 2019

Right