Nivada Grenchen Antarctic Thoughts

Hi, fellow Antarctic fans. Glad to see you're working on a book, Aash-- best of luck and keep us posted. I recall reading somewhere that Spinakerr is taking a break from the Vintage Nivada site, so hope all's well and that project continues when the time's right.

Here's a nugget I just came across that you all might enjoy (apologies if this has made the rounds and I was the only one in the dark). We're all familiar with the iconic 1957 ad of a heavily bundled guy lighting a cigarette and sporting his Gen 1 Antarctic -- a scene that, if you squint, might be from Operation Deep Freeze itself. This was the work of the famous NY ad firm Doyle Dane Bernbach (of LBJ "Daisy" fame), and the model was one Peter Jarman (spoiler: the beard is fake). Apparently the ad was so effective Nivada started running it internationally-- raising the ire of Cuban strongman Fulgencio Batista, who decided Jarman bore too close a resemblance to a certain Fidel he was then battling. Never mind Fidel wore a GMT-Master (set to Moscow time), smoked cigars, and presumably never owned a fur coat. Just like that, the ad was banned in Cuba. Here's the ad with the Oct 28 1957 Newsweek sidebar reporting the dustup.

DDB CNG ad.jpeg Newsweek (US Edition) 1957-10-28_ Vol 50 Iss 18.jpg
Edited:

I've been SO good recently, walking past some really good watches... but took a chance on this for us$103 on eBay today. My Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver will finally have a little brother to play with!
s-l1600.jpg
Edited:

That's a handsome example! Great score. This is an dial I have not seen. Any Antarctic with a date complication is a great find. I love the models with the Aquadatic callout and Antarctic!

Hello all Nivada lovers out there in the big watchworld!
I have recently gotten my hands on a croton Nivada Grenchen that’s a “little” off. It’s the dial that I can’t make heads or tails of.
I bought it together with a lady’s watch just too get the crown for another watch but my watchmaker got it running with another stem and crown so the crown is not original but the movement and case is.

Finally the question: Have any of you guys/gals seen a dial that looks like this or are you like me thinking it’s a repaint?

(I can’t help but include a picture of my Nivada collection, don’t mind the NEVADA watch at the end )

sincerely
Patrik
4AB7F16C-7029-4A36-ABF0-78E2E66CEDB9.jpeg
8A3AED6B-E7E6-451A-A08F-2B0206E69CE8.jpeg

It looks like a redial to me. The text is poorly written.

Saw the post on FB earlier. I'd say this is all original. I've see a couple others with the lume dots, the dial finish looked aged, but not refinished, there's radium burn and it's slightly yellowed in the center which is common. The lume on the hands does not match the lume on the dial, and I've seen that before on a dial with the dots. And with the seemingly endless variations of this dial over the years, the 25 Jewels type does not surprise. Jewel count was a selling point. Remember the period when 40 jewels was cool? This is before that. The Croton Nivada Grenchen type looks okay, it's not the greatest printing, but it's not hand painted, it's just old.
I suspect this was an early version. At first the 25 jewels made me think it's later, but the lack of an Antarctic callout kind of puts into the earlier time period. No matter what it is, it's an anomaly and very cool. s-l1600-9.jpg s-l1600-12.jpg

Thank you for your comprehensive answer! I would love for it too be both an anomaly and original but when you can’t find any similar dials you get suspicious. But what about the lack of minutemarkers and “Swiss”? Isn’t that in your opinion a giveaway that it’s a redial?

I like that one a lot too!
It seems to have the same “of center rotor” like two of my Nivada Antarctic 10 watches and the “glacier” dial it really nice on yours! Cool piece and great find
CF73EAC2-DE92-4E4F-A9B6-82B033D0B062.jpeg[/QUOTE]

Hi All, I recently purchased a vintage Nivada Antarctic DD watch, which I believe is from the late 1960's. There is a number on the back which reads "57065" and it states the word "Compensamatic." Inside the case, it states serial no. 4229. I'm not sure if that could be the number of the watch movement?

I really like the appearance of the black face dial and how the letters "DD" next to the italicized word "Antarctic" look similar to the large penguin on the back of the watch. The watch has day/date complications (I'm assuming that is what DD stands for), but as this is my first vintage automatic watch, I am not sure how to set them properly. The crown only pulls out to one position. The seller said the watch, which was recently serviced, is not quickset. He mentioned that you have to go anti-clockwise to set the date. As this is my first vintage, automatic watch, I am a little nervous about adjusting it. Would someone here be able to help me? Thank you. IMG_5105.jpg IMG_5144.jpg

Probably stupid newbie question, but: I've recently discovered a Nivada Antarctic I'm very much tempted to buy, I think it's a really, really nice watch.
However, I found that a quite similar watch was sold a few years back, and that if these are indeed the same watch, the dial must've been extensively reworked.

So here's my question: would an early 60s Nivada Antarctic have a serial number on the back side, or are these numbers and letters like a watch type or model indication? Unless I'm misreading, the inscription is 8852M2107 on both images/watches.
nivada backsides.jpg

So here's my question: would an early 60s Nivada Antarctic have a serial number on the back side, or are these numbers and letters like a watch type or model indication? Unless I'm misreading, the inscription is 8852M2107 on both images/watches.
Could it just be a caseback swap? That seems more likely than extensive dial work. Or if it's the same case, maybe a dial swap.

Could it just be a caseback swap? That seems more likely than extensive dial work. Or if it's the same case, maybe a dial swap.
Thanks! Well, the caseback obviously was also polished, as the Christmas 62 engraving is now gone, and there are more differences between the two watches, like new crown and what seems to me a sharper-looking case. May I assume that these numbers indeed are serial numbers and as such unique? I‘ll ask the seller directly if he knows what was worked on.

Hey fellow Nivada fans …..
A quick question … (which undoubtedly will get a variety of answers) …

do you collect any other brands … if so which ?