Forums Latest Members

Nivada Grenchen Antarctic Thoughts

1. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 19, 2016

I came across this today and would like your thoughts. I've never seen a black dial, except on eBay so that's where I'd like to start. I don't see any minute markers which seems a bit of a departure. Perhaps they're there but I sure can't see them. It also looks like there's corrosion on the back of the top two lugs. Is that what I'm seeing?
    The last point is the asking price of $449.95. I know that's very high but how very high, given the condition? As always, thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 19, 2016

Case is all stainless so it's probably not corrosion. The price is about double what I think it should be, unless there is proof of a very recent service. Can't really see if the gold plating has worn through though. I used to have a few of the earlier chronometer versions with the gold medallions on the back.

Professor likes this.
  3. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Sep 19, 2016

Agree that black dial Antarctics are rare, but here's a funky one for comparison:
    AntBlack1cropped.jpg

Aash, 0uss, bardamu and 6 others like this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 19, 2016

If that's DNA that may be why the asking price is so high.

Professor likes this.
  5. Ritzwatch Sep 19, 2016

"Sir, your watch will need to come with us for 18-36 months please. We will keep it secure until after the trial and then you can petition the court to return it to you as the rightful owner, thanks."

Professor likes this.
  6. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Sep 20, 2016

Cool fonts on those hour markers. Pretty abstract

DaveK and Professor like this.
  7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 20, 2016

Any thoughts on the possibility of a redial?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Professor likes this.
  8. dragoman Sep 21, 2016

365 USD would buy you this Longines 23z

[​IMG]

It is not black, but same numerals, cool indexes... and it's a Longines.

Tako Yaki, Thommas, Dr.K and 3 others like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2016

Common misconception that stainless steel can't corrode. In fact it's very common to see such pitting on vintage stainless steel cases...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Based on the photos above I would say that case is pretty heavily corroded, and it's not just body cheese stuck on it...

Cheers, Al

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 24, 2016

I couldn't stand not knowing about this watch. It has a 30 money back so I made a very low offer (well under half of the asking price), just to test the waters. Well, it arrived today. I immediately took the Speidel band off to see how bad the damage was. Good news: while there appears to be a little bit of pitting, the vast majority of what appeared to be corrosion, was body funk. Off to the watchmaker for a service and a bath.

Edited Oct 4, 2016
    noelekal, janice&fred, DaveK and 6 others like this.
  11. cottonlume Sep 27, 2016

Absolutely love the black dial and series 1 versions of this watch. In their heyday they were on par with similar offerings from Rolex, LeCoultre etc

Professor likes this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 6, 2016

Got the watch back from the watchmaker. Here are the after photos. I had the DNA tested; it wasn't Jimmy Hoffa. Nivada.jpg nivada movement.jpg

13. valjoux72 Oct 7, 2016

For me one of the most undervalued watches right now. Love the black dial, but case seems to be a later iteration.
    Especially the 1. generation Nivada Antarctic has a great history and as said before were on "same" level as other, today more famous brands.
    Mine has had a tough life...
    wrist neu.jpg
    IMG_2490.JPG

Pub_Nivada-1958.jpg

Fidel.jpg

Edited Oct 7, 2016
  14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 7, 2016

I agree with the later case. I think it looks late 60's/early 70's to me. It was sold as a 70's model and I never doubted it.

Dr.K and Professor like this.
  15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 7, 2016

I didn't recall your thread here, efauser. Bumped into your photos of the Nivada Antarctic over in WRUW and found the lug styling quite appealing as well as the dial and its markers. Don't now a thing about the brand but this one has a lot of vintage style.

Professor likes this.
  16. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 7, 2016

Thanks. When I saw the one @dougiedude picked up in NYC https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/page-2548#post-515446, I knew I wanted one. Then I saw this one with the black dial, I pulled the trigger.

Professor, dougiedude and noelekal like this.
  17. Henri68 Nov 9, 2016

If just can add my contribution, I was able to get 2 nivada antarctic watches :

IMG_20161109_145729.jpg

IMG_20161109_145825.jpg

I think these watches have amazing dials.
    I don't know how many different dials there are but I will continue to look for them =)

philby, Aash, PaulC77 and 8 others like this.
  18. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 9, 2016

Here's mine again:

Photo Aug 19, 8 00 06 PM.jpg
    Same stylized numerals as on the others we've seen here; looks quite a bit like @valjoux72 's

I'm wondering how the company would do the 2-4-8-10 ? Anyone with one of those dials (if they exist!)?

Edited Nov 9, 2016
  19. xbarx1 Mar 5, 2018

I'm a big fan of this Nivada watch and the history. The watch above posted by dougiedude is the earliest version shown. probably 1957-58. I have a couple iterations, one is the Aquamatic with is the same watch minus the copper plating that made the movement anti-magnetic. My black dial version is a later Aquatic Antarctic with the script type and gold hands and markers. Also included an ad from 1957. Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 3.53.51 PM.png 1957 ad for croton aquamatic antarctic.png unnamed-5.jpg

Aash, Polar44, janice&fred and 10 others like this.
  20. Buynitsky Mar 6, 2019

Good day, Gents!

Fresh find. The magnificent Nivada Antarctic.
    The stunning dial, it is difficult to convey its real color from olive-gray to coffee. Amasing form sharp lugs. This form of date window. Oh!
    Convex watch glass.Because of this, the labels at different angles have different lengths. I am very glad that I got such a wonderfull piece.

- ref. 57017
    - number inside caseback 3443
    - movement ETA 2472

But I have a couple of questions:

- this Nivada from the late 60s?
    - google search did not give me anything. The same model was on one japan site, but this page has been deleted and there is no way to know something about this model.
    - any thoughts on what the ELGHABASHI meaning? I'm not have idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]