Forums Latest Members

Nivada Grenchen Antarctic Thoughts

1. Spinakerr Feb 12, 2021

Feel free to use the rest of the details on my site, just ref vintagenivada.com as the source as a link at the bottom.

2. Norfolk Feb 13, 2021

Thank you. Of course will credit your excellent site. If you could do so as well if you want any of the info there. I will be putting up more of my Antarctic models once photographed and catalogued properly.

3. Spinakerr Feb 14, 2021

Perfect! Thanks, and looks forward to seeing your photos.

4. Polar44 Mar 11, 2021

Can’t believe how quickly this has shot up in price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143973034252Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

5. Spinakerr Mar 14, 2021

Yes and still climbing! It is all original with the crown and second hand, but with a slightly scrubby dial & bent lug. I think this is now waaaay too high for a I, but let's see how it goes.

There was actually a grey dialled Chronometre in the US last night but I lost out to another bidder. A really fantastic watch that - it had lacquer discolouration at 3 o clock, which seems to be common, and a load of rust on the case and movement so I left it!

6. Polar44 Mar 14, 2021

yeah, I was watching that one too :)
    Very nice with the gold numerals etc.
    Like you said, bit of work needed but would have been awesome once refurbed.

7. Spinakerr Mar 17, 2021

Polar44 likes this.
  8. Polar44 Mar 17, 2021

yeah - again another bonkers price. (no matter how nice the dial ;) )

there really does seem to be a significant upswing in the price of Nivadas recently, don’t you think?

9. misterjones Apr 23, 2021

0.jpeg 0 (1).jpeg Hi. I am new to the forum. I own a vintage Nivada Grenchen Antarctic watch and would like to have it serviced. Can anyone recommend a watch repair shop that has experience working with vintage Nivada watches? I live in New York, and while I would prefer to deal locally, I am certainly open to shipping it to an online repair shop if that is the better option. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

10. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Apr 23, 2021

Luckily the movement in them is a very common/serviceable ETA 1256 or 2451 depending on the generation. ( I would bet 2451 since yours is the "All stainless" text on the back).

So you just need to find a normal watchmaker in your area that you are comfortable with. Parts are plentiful so it should be a pretty quick deal for you.

Nice looking example. Glad you're keeping it alive.

neilfrancis likes this.
  11. misterjones Apr 25, 2021

Thank you for the information. I found Farfo.com Vintage Watches repair in New Jersey. They specialize in pre 1970s Swiss watches. I sent photos and they said they have serviced many of these over the years. So, that's a start.

12. A-x-L May 17, 2021

Hello everyone.

My father recently gave me a watch that was in deep hibernation in his drawer since decades. I think he originally received it from his uncle.

It's of course a Nivada Antarctic. The plexi was severely scratched but it doesn't look bad after some polishing.
    The movement runs great (a bit too fast but not enough to be annoying).

If some of you know anything about this model, I'd like to know. When was it made, 60's or 70's?

I think this watch is very cool. It looks great and is suprisingly thin for an automatic.

IMG_20210516_195803.jpg IMG_20210516_195716.jpg

neilfrancis and allwoundup like this.
  13. Ozcrek May 19, 2021

Hello!

Here is my Antarctic, its from my father . He bought it from his best friend in the middle of 70’s, so it’s from early 70’s (based on the case number too). I remember this watch when I was a child, but at the 80’s it has been forgotten. I found it in my parents jewellery drawer in 2006. Then my watchmaker friend renewed it ( clean, polish…etc..) and in 2016 did it again. It works perfectly. I love it. It has an ETA 2789 movement.

IMG_8883.jpg IMG_8885.jpg IMG_8918.jpg
    allwoundup likes this.
  14. kaapstadflaneur Jun 3, 2021

Manual wind gold-plated Nivada Antarctic with gold linen dial just back from a couple of months with the watchmaker. I'm a big fan of the sharply angled lugs. Looks like it could be the gold-plated cousin to the one that @Spinakerr posted a few pages back. The crown's not original, and there's some patina on the dial, but still looks sharp.

antarctic.jpg

allwoundup likes this.
  15. cineaste Jun 3, 2021

[​IMG]

Mafkees, allwoundup and neilfrancis like this.
  16. A-x-L Jun 3, 2021

Beautiful.

Very similar to my watch. Exact same case, hands, date window and text. Different indexes and dial color.

17. knowHow[ard] Jul 9, 2021

Can someone please give me information about this Nivada Antarctic watch? I cannot find one that looks like this online 20210709_165608.jpg 20210709_165640.jpg .

18. Spinakerr Jul 11, 2021

Hi there - as Nivada entered its death throes in the 70s and 80s it produced a lot of quartz watches in the style of other brands.

The above is a copy of the Cartier Santos. Sadly only the similarities with the Nivada Antarctic of the 50s and 60s ends with the name.

davy26 likes this.
  19. A-x-L Jul 11, 2021

Hi again.

I'd like to ask the same question I asked in the post I'm quoting here.

Does anyone has a clue about my watch that my father gave me.
    When was it made? 60's? 70's?

Thanks again to all those who read this message.

20. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 11, 2021

I agree, and as a fan of Nivada, it's sad to see the evidence that yet another maker resorted to the production of watches which really devalued the brand in an attempt to compete with the benighted quartz insurrection.