Forums Latest Members

Newbie needs support, Omega PO

1. Peterle Mar 10, 2020

Hello, I have registered here because I am interested in a new Omega PO.
    I have read up a little on the subject of the rate behaviour of a watch and I would like to know if the values from the Metas certificate are actually kept in reality.
    Is there any experience with the watch with the caliber 8900?
    What about the quality of manufacture?
    Will there be a new caliber with even higher power reserve in near future?
    I'd like to buy the watch from a concessionaire.
    Since the watch is already quite expensive, I wonder if I can expect more from the workmanship.
    Since this is a brand forum, I hope for numerous answers which could make my decision easier.
    Greetings
    Peter

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 10, 2020

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. ExpiredWatchdog Mar 11, 2020

I'll pick up where Archer left off:

Is there any experience with the watch with the caliber 8900?
    A: Plenty. Not me personally, but many owners out there (I have a couple 9300s, which is the chrono version of the 8500) and almost all are satisfied owners.

What about the quality of manufacture?
    A: As with everything, you occasionally hear of a quality issue, but all-in-all, Omega is one of the finest made watches of its class, well in line with Rolex for significantly less.

Will there be a new caliber with even higher power reserve in near future?
    A: Doubt it, the 8500 based movements have been pretty standard since they were introduced in 2007, each model adding some improved material choices, but no overall design changes.

I'd like to buy the watch from a concessionaire.
    A: Your choices are an Omega Boutique, an Authorized Dealer or a Grey Market Dealer. OBs are Omega owned, ADs are private jewelers with relationships to Omega and GMs are all else. From what I read, OBs are inflexible on pricing where ADs can be negotiated with. Both have excellent selections in stock. GMs are private jewelers with no relationship to Omega and while they sell for a discount, there are sacrifices, notably (usually) their warranty vs Omega's and a selection of older models that haven't sold well (in OBs or ADs).

Since the watch is already quite expensive, I wonder if I can expect more from the workmanship.
    A: Depending on your needs and tastes, the quality is well worth the money. Just exactly how well is a debate that will go on forever. You can tell time with a $50 quartz but you can appreciate your purchase far better with the quality of a modern Omega. Your $50 quartz will last five or ten years where your Omega, properly cared for will last a lifetime.

So, Omega, now that I plugged you so hard, remember that discount on a Proplof I was asking about?

ahartfie, Peterle and mjb like this.
  4. pongster Mar 11, 2020

Peterle likes this.
  5. Jeeper Mar 11, 2020

ExpiredWatchdog,

Is it factual that OBs are Omega owned? I am uner the impression that the Manchester Trafford Centre OB is part of Goldsmiths Jewellers.

Jeeper

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2020

No, it's not. It varies - some are owned by Omega and some are pretty much extensions of existing AD's.

7. Peterle Mar 11, 2020

Hello, thanks a lot for the numerous information and replies.
    I'll read through it in peace, it might be a little too technical for me.
    If I understood it correctly, the PO is checked in six positions. Is the PO also adjusted in six positions as well?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2020

Yes.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 11, 2020

Rock solid watch and worth a purchase. You won’t be disappointed.

Do a bit of reading on mechanical watches Compared to Quartz

https://www.prestigetime.com/page.php?accuracy

A $100 Quartz can be more accurate but nowhere near as cool as a mechanical.

A METAS watch is a good paddock to be picking a modern watch up from :thumbsup:

10. ExpiredWatchdog Mar 12, 2020

Sorry, I should have done more research before posting this conclusion. It was based on the fact that OBs won't bargain and must be under some different contractual constraints from ADs, therefore they must be Omega owned.

Edit: I was just looking at Omega's website to see if I can learn more and was surprised that they only list 11 total worldwide. Can that be right?

Edited Mar 12, 2020
  11. Evitzee Mar 12, 2020

There are probably hundreds of OBs around the world, you were probably just looking at one country. I find the retailer feature on the Omega website is a bit confusing and not the smoothest to find dealers in various countries.

12. ExpiredWatchdog Mar 12, 2020

No, they were all over the world, but sparse. Three in Switzerland, two here in the states and just a few others spread around the world. I was able to find plenty of ADs.

Yeah, not going through the Omega site reveals many more. Go figure.