New vintage amateur presentation

Posts
5
Likes
7
Hi everyone,

My name is Pierre, a watch enthusiast for years, but a collector for only a couple of years - since I've been able to afford them, to be honest.

I am currently the proud owner of two watches (a Pelagos FXD GMT Marine Nationale for work and an OP36 for the weekend).

I've always loved Omega - the history of the Speedmaster in particular (I'm a space fan) - but I'm also amazed by the brand's technical achievements. And that's when I saw the new Omega Constellation. I immediately fell in love with the design of the watch, the pie pan dial and the dog legs in particular. The absence of a seconds hand and the price, however, discouraged me (like many others, from what I've read).

That's how I ended up looking at vintage models, and I fell in love with the watch a second time when I saw the 1960s models. I've now read a lot about it, looked at a number of them, and I'm ready to find the perfect one for me: gold-capped, dog legs, cross hair, gold or onyx batons, and ideally with the 564 caliber (I like the quick date-set feature).

I spotted one on Chrono24 that's been listed for a while, but I think the price is a bit high (https://www.chrono24.fr/omega/omega-constellation--id47970687.htm?SETLANG=fr_FR&SETCURR=EUR).

I'll keep looking on the forum as well as on Chrono24. The Swedish shop Majeli AB told me he has some that fit my description currently being serviced, so I'm waiting to see what he posts.

In the meantime, I'll keep reading your posts and hope you can give me your expert opinion once I find one!


Thanks, guys!
 
Posts
3,646
Likes
7,750
Hi Pierre and welcome to OF.

Post photos, not links and you will receive more responses.
Avoid the presented watch for several reasons:
Price is way too high
Wrong crown
Too much polished - you can see best on the "melted" lug edges
Badly scratched back
Scratches on the movement
You can do much better for this kind of money but you have to be patient until the right one will show up.
These dog leg Connies are not rare...
 
Posts
6,765
Likes
10,421
Welcome @Pierre35

@mac_omega is correct to advise you to avoid this watch.
€3400 for a perfect gold capped dogleg pie pan would be an obscene price but for one that is distinctly over polished is verging on a crime.
(BTW the watch appears to be from a Japanese seller, and if so, would also attract import duties as well)
The box is not original to the watch - probably from at least 10 years later.

Picture for posterity
 
Posts
5
Likes
7
Hi Pierre and welcome to OF.

Post photos, not links and you will receive more responses.
Avoid the presented watch for several reasons:
Price is way too high
Wrong crown
Too much polished - you can see best on the "melted" lug edges
Badly scratched back
Scratches on the movement
You can do much better for this kind of money but you have to be patient until the right one will show up.
These dog leg Connies are not rare...
Thanks for the feedback! I don’t see an option to edit my post for the pictures so here they are.
 
Posts
5
Likes
7
A new one posted on Chrono24 that fits my configuration wish. But too expensive and I have doubts about the dial. The cross hair and the writing looks very thick no? Also the MOY seems a bit too much to the left and the interior of the case back doesn’t look great.
I’m pretty sure I’ll pass this one. But still welcome your thoughts !
Thanks.



 
Posts
6,765
Likes
10,421
Hello @Pierre35
How is the watch described?

You need to slow down and really get into Constellations before you buy anything.

The dial is a very poor redial - most likely a dome dial repainted to look like a pie pan.

The case back says 14381 but the mid case is a dogleg.
 
Posts
5
Likes
7
It only says “Pie pan dog leg gold cap similar to 168.005”.

Yes I had big doubts about the dial, thanks for confirming !

I didn’t know about the 14381 reference, is it supposed to be for pre dog leg designs ?
 
Posts
3,607
Likes
7,829
@Pierre35

A lot to see here:


And Desmond’s blog for a wealth of knowledge:

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/?m=1
 
Posts
6,765
Likes
10,421
It only says “Pie pan dog leg gold cap similar to 168.005”.

I didn’t know about the 14381 reference, is it supposed to be for pre dog leg designs ?

This is what I meant about doing a deep dive into Constellation references.

The links @SOG53 posted are ideal reference material.

The 14381 (no date) and 14393 (date) are late lyre lug references.

A dogleg is a dogleg, there are no Constellation references that are ‘similar’.

The caseback doesn’t belong to the midcase and the dial is just awful on this watch.
 
Posts
5
Likes
7
I read quite a lot on Desmond's blog, really cool stuff there! But there a so many references and details that it takes years to really know that stuff.
I’ll build my knowledge over time, but thanks for sharing yours!
I’ll post only ones I truly consider to buy then.