Presentation Box Help

Posts
42
Likes
43
Greetings,

I have purchased this presentation box, (it is still enroute to me) from Japan. I hoping to get some forum help with identification, years made, and a good background and a possible historical lesson about it.

It’s a two watch “His and Hers” (by the look of the different size of the C-clips) box. It has a Japanese emblem in the front inner lip area that translates to “Kotobuki”. All I’ve been able to find online is it was possibly made 60s-70s and was made in Japan for special occasions. Omega didn’t officially make them but allowed local AD to use the brand name to be made. If any of this is correct, or… any is just smoke on the internet, I’d be happy to learn something.

I have a 1969 Seamaster mini-sparkle 566.013, and a 1969 Seamaster Chronometer sparkle dial 168.023 (I’m having restored) I’d like to put in the box.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Garret

 
Posts
42
Likes
43
Greetings,

I have purchased this presentation box, (it is still enroute to me) from Japan. I hoping to get some forum help with identification, years made, and a good background and a possible historical lesson about it.

It’s a two watch “His and Hers” (by the look of the different size of the C-clips) box. It has a Japanese emblem in the front inner lip area that translates to “Kotobuki”. All I’ve been able to find online is it was possibly made 60s-70s and was made in Japan for special occasions. Omega didn’t officially make them but allowed local AD to use the brand name to be made. If any of this is correct, or… any is just smoke on the internet, I’d be happy to learn something.

I have a 1969 Seamaster mini-sparkle 566.013, and a 1969 Seamaster Chronometer sparkle dial 168.023 (I’m having restored) I’d like to put in the box.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Garret

So, I’ve reached out by email to the Omega Museum’s archival department to see if they have any information about this box and if Nihon Siber Hegner K.K. (Japan AD) had any communications regarding the kanji symbol being used in an Omega branded box, or any history related to its creation. I also reached out to DKSH (merged DK company with SH) in 2002.

I’ve also reached out to the biggest luxury department stores in Japan and inquired if they might have been involved in curation.

I really am just hitting walls as there is no other box like it on the internet. I’ve checked the 32 pages of the “Omega Box” thread, and nothing like it. If any of you have good historical info, or, if you think I’m spinning my wheels for nothing, let me know. I enjoy researching items, so I’ll keep digging.

Cheers,
Garret
Edited:
 
Posts
520
Likes
975
I think this may have been a presentation case for a pair of men's and women's watches, perhaps for an engagement or wedding.

「寿」(Kotobuki) is a Japanese kanji associated with congratulations and auspicious occasions. Together with the slightly different sizes of the two C-shaped watch holders, it looks like it could have been made for a men's and women's pair of watches.

I also found what looks like the same case on eBay, from a seller in Japan:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/267388418688

The paperwork that comes with that example also looks more like something from the 1980s or later to me, rather than the 1960s–70s.
 
This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Posts
42
Likes
43
I think this may have been a presentation case for a pair of men's and women's watches, perhaps for an engagement or wedding.

「寿」(Kotobuki) is a Japanese kanji associated with congratulations and auspicious occasions. Together with the slightly different sizes of the two C-shaped watch holders, it looks like it could have been made for a men's and women's pair of watches.

I also found what looks like the same case on eBay, from a seller in Japan:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/267388418688

The paperwork that comes with that example also looks more like something from the 1980s or later to me, rather than the 1960s–70s.
Mountainunder,

Thank you for your help with locating a similar box. This post, and time spent on my behalf, is much appreciated. Since it appears later in date, I’ll can research the box more thoroughly now with a second example, and also try to find what companies add the Kanji symbol to them.

Cheers,
Garret
Edited:
 
This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Posts
42
Likes
43
Hello forum folks,

Just a little update on the watch box. I received mine from Japan today and it’s in pretty good shape. I’ve included a few photos to give a better perspective of the box and emblem.

The last picture is of the same box (I assume) that was located for me on EBay. The seller is also located in Japan. I contacted him regarding his box, and he confirmed, it’s a white satin interior with gold writing. Which is in line with an 1980s box it appears.

The box I received, has a gold satin interior with a gold foil Omega name and symbol, and the lower box trim is also gold. I looked under the seams to see if maybe it had faded to a yellow, but it’s actual just as gold underneath. The satin is not stained, the photo just makes it appear so.

The Kanji symbol is a hard raised emblem and appears to be enameled red with a gold inlay and boarder. I can feel the sharp edges of the symbol, so it’s not clear coated over the front.

Have you all seen this configuration before ? And, have you seen two similar boxes configured differently like these two? Still trying to figure things out. I know it’s just a box, but I enjoy Omegas history and I like to research things for my knowledge and conversation.

Ive contacted numerous vintage watch seller/retailers, and department stores in Japan, and none have seen the gold satin with the Kanji in a watch box. Though, they all know the symbol, and have seen it used during important meaningful parties, or events. I have sent an email to the Omega Museum contact, and have not heard back.

I’ve placed my wife’s mini-sparkle in the box for now. I received a NOS 5726 bracelet from @Fatcat, which is perfect! I’m waiting on my local OB to get me the 546 end link I need. I’m also patiently waiting for my watch to return from Craig Stone and its restoration. My watch and my wife’s mini, both have serials in the 1969 range, which was pretty fun to find.

If you have any input on the boxes or watches. Let me know. I enjoy the knowledge and insight you all have.

Cheers!

Garret

Edited:
 
Posts
13,633
Likes
18,988
The eBay listing from Japan shows a page from the guarantee book:
Date at the bottom is 1989, so there is your time period.

The box could have been made anywhere for Omega, but it was clearly made for the Japanese market.
gatorcpa
 
Posts
42
Likes
43
The eBay listing from Japan shows a page from the guarantee book:
Date at the bottom is 1989, so there is your time period.

The box could have been made anywhere for Omega, but it was clearly made for the Japanese market.
gatorcpa
The eBay listing from Japan shows a page from the guarantee book:
Date at the bottom is 1989, so there is your time period.

The box could have been made anywhere for Omega, but it was clearly made for the Japanese market.
gatorcpa
Thanks. I saw that as well. My attention was drawn though to the cover of the manual which has at the bottom, www.omegawatches.com. That led me down the rabbit hole of how the manuals are made.

Omega didn’t have an internet site till the mid-late 90s. The internet wasn’t really even a thing till the early to mid 90s. I read, and may be wrong, that when they update the manuals, the date at the bottom could be the base template for the printing. With the 1989 and the internet site used on the cover, I couldn’t fully place the advertised box as made in that year, nor could I justify that manual was for that box and year. I think it’s a later manual.

The configuration of the box inner trim appears to be 1980s like, comparative to others I’ve looked at online. But those boxes usually have an outside Omega symbol by then. These boxes have no outside markings.

To have two very similar boxes in design with different color interiors, is leading me to an exclusive box for the JDM market, as you have mentioned. Did Omega make the installed emblem, or was that installed in market? Was every box shipped to one place in market, the local AD, and the emblem then installed?

The history is fascinating to see how a simple box was produced and made. Trying to piece it together is a part of why I really enjoy collecting.

Cheers!
 
Posts
42
Likes
43
Received a response from Omega regarding my inquiry:





Dear Mr Morris,

Thank you for your message and your interest in the history of your vintage presentation box.

In response to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that our archives are currently unavailable to the public. As a result, we are unfortunately unable to issue archive extracts until further notice.

When this vintage service was available, it was primarily dedicated to providing information on the manufacturing history of timepieces rather than accessories.

Apart from the Extract from the Archives service, we do not offer any other heritage-related services.

We appreciate your understanding and remain with kind regards.


Elvira B.
CUSTOMER CARE ADVISOR
OMEGA



The research continues.

Cheers!




 
Posts
13,633
Likes
18,988
Omega never had information about boxes and papers as they were different in every country. Generally, these were commissioned by the importers.
gatorcpa
 
Posts
42
Likes
43
Omega never had information about boxes and papers as they were different in every country. Generally, these were commissioned by the importers.
gatorcpa
Thanks!! Everything I’ve read is leading that way (commissioned in market).

I’ve read here on the forums about folks reaching out to DKSH Japan KK, and no information could be given about other commissioned items. That is another source I contacted last week. I assume I’ll get the same dead end as others.

I’ve found the box could be a late 60-70s commissioned box style, but still looking for the print proof or firsthand knowledge.

I’ve had some success with research about the process to make the kanji, and the Japanese artistry to make it.

The process involved die making and stamping of the gold/brass plate to make the character and edges. These were left raised after the stamping stamped the background (red area) down. The process champlevé (recessed) enameling was used to fill in the red background. The badge was then placed in a kiln to cure the enamel. The entire badge was then sanded/polished when cooled. The badge was not clear coated over as it was looked as lower quality, and it was not going to be out in the elements.

Next I will be searching for Japanese print advertisements for “pair set” or to likes. I’ll also be on the lookout for the correct paperwork, “warranty booklet”. For a commissioned box in market, it would have been entirely in Japanese and formatted differently than the Swiss made booklets.

Cheers!
 
Posts
3,621
Likes
7,885
Judging from your enthusiasm regarding this box, you should enjoy this 32 page thread.


Some Omega watches were often distributed with a particular box, but most boxes were point of sale choices by the venders, and may differ in different regions so I wouldn't spend too much effort on the project. Usually one can say a box is period correct for the watch, but not much more unless the box is labelled, as shown on box below.


Omega sold His and Hers Constellation Manhattan, and also DeVille Two tone watches in this 1989 period so something like that may have come in your box.

Are you looking to buy the watch to fit the box?
 
Posts
42
Likes
43
Judging from your enthusiasm regarding this box, you should enjoy this 32 page thread.


Some Omega watches were often distributed with a particular box, but most boxes were point of sale choices by the venders, and may differ in different regions so I wouldn't spend too much effort on the project. Usually one can say a box is period correct for the watch, but not much more unless the box is labelled, as shown on box below.


Omega sold His and Hers Constellation Manhattan, and also DeVille Two tone watches in this 1989 period so something like that may have come in your box.

Are you looking to buy the watch to fit the box?
Haha…. I’ve read through the box thread… and the vintage tang buckle thread…a couple of times.

I have a box very similar to the one you’ve included actually, but my box doesn’t have the extra angles on the bottom. It’s also the Seamaster Chronometer version. I was thinking it may be a newer box than the one you’ve shown, (I believe I’ve read the 50s). Still trying to figure that one out as well. 🤷

Back to your question hahaha. I have two 1969 Seamasters (His and hers) 168.023 and 566.013.

I’ve just began dipping my toes into the vintage watch world. I’ve lived in the vintage car restoration world since I was a kid and really enjoy the search for parts needed to bring the cars back to life…hence… the fascination of this niche.

I bought the box after reading it may also be of the late 60s era to match the watches I have already. Regardless of the year, (though I’d like to figure that out) researching the kanji and the reasons the box was made is perfect, as, this year is my 25th wedding anniversary.

I’ve included a picture of my other box. If you have any info about that one, I’m all ears. Also I’ve attached a couple of cool advertisements I’ve found in my search of Japanese sites.

Cheers!

 
Posts
3,621
Likes
7,885
Nice Seamaster box. I have a green one slightly different writing style.
Looking at adverts and if you can find a "full set" from original owner that helps identify boxes, but even those can be assembled so hard to know for sure. And there is no documentation for most watches.
But fun anyway.
 
Posts
42
Likes
43
Nice Seamaster box. I have a green one slightly different writing style.
Looking at adverts and if you can find a "full set" from original owner that helps identify boxes, but even those can be assembled so hard to know for sure. And there is no documentation for most watches.
But fun anyway.
Hey, RAD! Nice boxes. The watch in the back ground ain’t too shabby either 😏

The ones you have are the configured boxes I’ve found in my searches. The lids and bases are more angled than the one I’ve found. And yes, the script is different as well. Yours are 50s early 60s era? I’m thinking the change to the more plain box and fake leather look on mine makes it a little newer…. But I’m still learning and reading on this site daily.

Cheers!