Forums Latest Members
  1. Magnus123 Jan 29, 2020

I just got my first vintage piece. The person I got it from said it was a early 50s with the caliber 342 movement. Can you guys help identify it, tell me based on pics if it’s a quality piece, and let me know if I paid too much for it ($600) any information would be much appreciated. Also I just tried it one and if I turn my wrist fast it almost feels a lil clunky on the inside, is this comes for these old watches?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. Dan S Jan 29, 2020

The clunking is the motion of the weight within the bumper movement, which is normal. Aside from the crown probably being a replacement, the watch looks ok at first glance. However, you will need to have someone open it up and post photos of the inside if you really want good information from the forum. Also, only post photos that are in focus. If the phone focuses on your finger or the background, just delete the photo and keeping taking pictures until you get some good ones. When taking photos, move the hands so that printing on the dial is fully visible. Read the sticky threads about how to ask for help.

Benbradstock likes this.
  3. Magnus123 Jan 29, 2020

Thanks for the advice the blurry one I think your talking about I was trying to focus in on the crown and side I’ll try and fix that

4. Dan S Jan 29, 2020

It's not a big deal, but the first photo is also out of focus. The camera focused on the fabric in the background. Just some advice, you're doing fine.

5. Magnus123 Jan 29, 2020

I appreciate it, hope the changes to the pics help

6. Candle00 Jan 29, 2020

Welcome! It’s a slippery slope

Benbradstock likes this.
  7. Magnus123 Jan 29, 2020

Lol I can already tell I already wanna expand the collection. But I’m going to take this one in tomorrow to get opened up and inspected before looking at any other ones.

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 29, 2020

To expand on that, there is a spring on either end of the bumper's travels. You can feel when the spring has been left out because it feels like a small slamming when the bumper shifts. Springs missing are bad, but no reason to not buy. They can be replaced.

Tom

9. Magnus123 Jan 29, 2020

it seems like it’s keeping time so far, I’ll get some pics of the inside hopefully tomorrow, but based on outward appearance do you guys think the 600 was a good price or...

10. Benbradstock Jan 29, 2020

Looks more like a $350 watch to me, more photos especially of the inside would be helpful, but basically you did fine. Next time, do your research first, and spend more time hunting before you buy. Remember that the hunt is half the fun! Welcome and good luck.