Forums Latest Members
  1. Calisto Sep 6, 2020

Hello,
    I have fallen in love with this watch that is part of a month long silent auction. However I know very little about these watch so any insight of this watches value, condition or authenticity would be extremely appreciated. Unfortunately they would not allow me to take the back off the watch and they only allowed me to hold the watch and take pictures for a couple of minutes so I am sorry for the bad image quality I was a bit excited holding this watch and couldn't keep my phone still. watch in box.jpg side of watch.jpg back of watch.jpg watch upside down.jpg watch on wrist.jpg

janice&fred and Spruce like this.
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 6, 2020

Black dial cross hairs are quite appealing. A good sharp shot of the dial straight on would be helpful.

Calisto and janice&fred like this.
  3. JwRosenthal Sep 6, 2020

I would be excited about that one too! Although your pictures aren't great, it's enough to see that it appears original, has a vintage Omega strap and appears to have the box. This looks like an honest watch, but I can't tell if the hands are lumed (and I can't see lume pips on the dial) nor if there is any damage to the dial (the finish on these dials is rather delicate and any moisture intrusion will damage it).

As @ahsposo said, if you can get to the watch again, we would need better pics of the dial to make a real assessment. If you are using your phone- place the watch down flat, move the phone further away from the watch (around a foot) and zoom in (too close and the phone won't focus). Make sure to steady yourself- place the phone on the table to minimize shake) and tap on the area you want sharp before you take the picture.

I just shot these using the method mentioned above, the oblique shots are with the phone next to the watch on the same table, the strait shot was against my body holding my breath. Although these aren't great, they would be enough for us to give you a real assessment.

05303179-8F25-4525-A637-35F5D6EC9DE2.jpeg 5A87F83F-07E9-429F-8B03-194717D6F792.jpeg AFE1E5FF-A827-4BAC-9F3A-C0F1C282A9DD.jpeg

4. Calisto Sep 6, 2020

Unfortunately I don't have a picture like that. I'll go back today and ask if I can get more pictures to post here.

5. Calisto Sep 6, 2020

Thank you for your reply and advice I will be sure to use that method to get better pictures.

6. Dan S Sep 6, 2020

Interesting that it appears to be hand-winding, I am more accustomed to seeing this style case with AUTOMATIC on the dial. I wonder what reference it is ... someone will know. Can you tell if there is a rotor or bumper inside by moving it?

The case appears to be gold capped, and I believe both hands and dial (at outer indentations in applied markers) have lume. Is the dial textured, or is that an artifact of the photos?

Calisto and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. Edward53 Sep 6, 2020

Even from those poor photos I like the look of the dial, but the great majority of vintage Omega watches have hands where the minute hand just reaches the minute markers. This one goes way beyond, so either the hands have been replaced, the dial has been repainted or this is one of those rare references where Omega installed a minute hand longer than the minute markers. The seconds hand is the correct length, so I'd suggest the hour and minute hands have been replaced.

Calisto likes this.
  8. Calisto Sep 6, 2020

It is manual winding however the crown seemed a bit stiff. I did not hear or feel anything moving inside the watch when I moved it around. I don't believe the dial is textured however the glass in person appears foggy in some areas, the pictures really do not show the proper finish of the dial.
    After labor day I will go back and try to get more proper pictures to post here. Thank you for your response.

9. Calisto Sep 6, 2020

Thank you for your insight, I hadn't considered the hands being replaced.

10. JwRosenthal Sep 6, 2020

And that isn't the end of the world with these. Hands can be sourced if they are indeed incorrect. The key is that the dial retains its original finish. If it's been repainted (which was common years ago if a dial got water damage), then the value to collectors is out the window- not to say it still couldn't be an attractive watch to wear if originality doesn't concern you. But then you would need to account for that in the value for auction.

Calisto likes this.
  11. Calisto Sep 8, 2020

I went and got some slightly better photos today. I'm sorry I didn't realize how bad the glare was in some areas on the watch till I got home, hopefully these photos will give some better information about this watch though. Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

crown of watch 2.jpg crown of watch.jpg other side of watch 2.jpg side of watch 2.jpg front of watch 2.jpg
  12. Dan S Sep 8, 2020

As I mentioned previously, I believe the dial is textured. Unfortunately, based on those photos, I'm still not comfortable making any assessments of originality or condition. There is just too much glare and the resolution isn't good enough. Perhaps the original photos are better, and the OP can crop the images better and upload them at higher resolution. We don't need to see the background, just the watch.

Calisto likes this.
  13. Calisto Sep 8, 2020

That's a good thought I'll go through them and edit the pictures and just re-post the best looking ones.

14. Calisto Sep 8, 2020

Ok lets try this again. And thank you for your patience and time.

crown of watch 2 enhanced.jpg crown of watch enhanced.jpg front of watch 2 enhanced.jpg other side of watch 2 enhanced.jpg side of watch 2 enhanced.jpg
  15. JwRosenthal Sep 8, 2020

Textured dial!! Dan wins the door prize!

Calisto likes this.
  16. Calisto Sep 8, 2020

So besides the hands potentially not being original, can you guys spot anything else that may be wrong with this watch?

17. seekingseaquest Sep 8, 2020

Hands are okay. This reference is an exception to that rule. Crown on this reference is also a bit of an anomaly, and this one looks right.

Nice, original black waffle dial Seamaster IMO!

For reference:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/help-needed-with-old-seamaster.113208/#post-1499779

ScDevon, airansun, apsm100 and 5 others like this.
  18. Dan S Sep 8, 2020

In my opinion, once @seekingseaquest has given his opinion, you don't need any more opinions. :)

Spruce, JwRosenthal and Calisto like this.
  19. Calisto Sep 8, 2020

Amazing! Well I will definitely win this auction and get my first vintage omega. Thank you to everyone who helped and I already love the community here even though I only found it a couple days ago.

20. amcclell Sep 8, 2020

I saw the same reference at a local auction up here in Canada a couple of years ago. Gold-capped, heavy lug with a black dial. The snap back also had Seamaster and Waterproof etched into the beveled edge. It was also a manual wind like this one. I backed out at $345, which is approximately $260 USD, as I wasn't100% sure that it wasn't repainted. I think it was likely original and kicked myself but I didn't have the luxury of time. Good luck with your auction.

Calisto likes this.