Forums Latest Members

Pro's And Con's Of Buying On The Gray Market

1. andnowwhat Feb 17, 2013

I have been doing some research and am still not clear on what you loose when buying either second hand or on the gray market. After looking at some posts here some say that the watch would not be eligible to get serviced through Omega, but others seem to dispute that and state that the watch is just not warrantied through them. Some sites like luxurybazaar or authenticwatches say that you not only get the watch new in original packaging but that they also warranty it as well. Are these sites a scam, is there something wrong with the watches (possibly factory seconds?), or are they a good deal for those willing to forego the boutique experience for an honest Omega at a good price? Any opinions are welcomed!

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 17, 2013

The key here is that "they", meaning the seller is offering their warranty, which is different from a factory warranty.

Many gray market watches do not have intact serial numbers, which preclude them from authorized agent or factory service.

Second hand watches are a different matter as long as the serial number is intact. These watches should generally present no issues if presented for manufacture service.

If you have an independent service the watch even the lack of a serial number should not be an issue.

3. andnowwhat Feb 17, 2013

Bummer, I was definately not expecting to hear that about the serial numbers. It may be superficial of me, but If I am spending that much money then I don't want the watch molested in that way. Do you know what sellers, in particular the ones I mentioned above, do not have intact serial numbers?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 17, 2013

A little OT here, but I service a lot of Omegas (more than any other single brand), and I don't think I've ever seen one with the serial numbers removed. I have read about this practice from grey dealers, but I'm not sure how common it really is.

Anyway, to the OP, you really should look at who the grey dealer is, and make sure their warranty is solid. If possible, get feedback from people who have used the warranty - no matter what they claim it's only as good as the level of service you get if something goes wrong.

Most of these watches are unloaded from dealers who are either getting out of the brand, or who have been forced to buy watches that they can't sell at retail easily, so they dump them on the grey market dealers to keep inventory moving.

Also get a good deal, because no matter what they tell you, it's not a "new" watch you are buying. It may be unworn, but since it's been sold it's not new anymore, at least in my view.

Cheers, Al

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2013

My Master Moon was bought as "unworn" and sourced from an Italian AD. But the agent is reputable and it came with stamped cards and manufacturers warranty.

It depends how comfortable with the vendor and the whole process really. As Al says you need to do your homework on the vendor & you don't have to do that buying from most ADs.

6. andnowwhat Feb 17, 2013

Ok, so I'm hearing that I have more reserch to do. What types of questions should I be asking, what should I be looking for in a vendor?

7. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2013

Simple - are they an authorized dealer for the brand you want. Anything else and you're rolling the dice.

8. andnowwhat Feb 17, 2013

Guess I need to just get over the idea of saving a few grand, and work some overtime!

9. ulackfocus Feb 17, 2013

Um, you won't save a few grand. You run a big risk of getting a returned or second quality watch. No factory backing. No person you can talk face to face to either. You'll be out several grand when that happens. If you negotiate with a few different AD's you can get close to grey market pricing AND get all the warranty and support from the dealer. I bought my Breitling from an AD (Bailey, Banks, and Biddle) for the same price as shown on a few legitimate websites. I just paid the sales tax.

10. andnowwhat Feb 17, 2013

Good point. Buying locally was my original plan but daydreaming on the net got me wanting to take a short cut. You are right, having the human touch in making this purchase will make me feel much better about it and even if I spend a little more up front I am sure I will save in the future. Thanks.

11. pascs Feb 17, 2013

I bought a brand new Speedmaster from Japan, the watch came with all numbers matching (movement, case and cards). In was a complete package including all boxes, cards and warranty from the watch shop. Considering the amount of money I saved compared to buying from an AD, I'm prepared to take the risk of requiring to send the watch to Omega and paying for it myself instead of using the warranty from the watch shop who provided the watch.

Jtshaw474 likes this.
  12. andnowwhat Feb 17, 2013

This is true too, but I am so ignorant when it comes to all of this authorized V.S. gray market and authentic V.S. fake that I don't know what to do. The thing that truely pulls me in both directions is that while I have saved some money and can make this purchase I cant risk flushing it on a fake (or something less than worthwhile) but I also find it a bit hard to justify spinding six grand (that's including tax) when I am a civil servant making under $45K a year. I guess the best thing to do is to keep saving and spend time reading the posts here.

Jtshaw474 and SpikiSpikester like this.
  13. pascs Feb 17, 2013

I think it depends what it is you want, new, 2nd hand, type of watch etc

Some people really enjoy the whole experience of going to the AD, trying on various watches and then buying the watch knowing they have everything correct. I enjoy that too of course but I also enjoy searching various watch sites and picking up a new or 2nd hand watch at a good price. If you buy from a known or recommended source then you can significantly reduce the risks. If the watch is not new then you will mostly likely need to factor in service cost too, this shouldnt be seen as a negative. You can send the watch for service and also have the case, strap and crystal refurbished which can totally transform a watch

If you use this site then you can always request advice on any purchase, this will reduce the risks considerably. The majority of us dont have money to waste and none of us what to be ripped off with a watch that is less than it claims to be.

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 18, 2013

If you really want to wear Omega, I suggest you buy your first purchase pre-owned from a reputable seller. 3-5 years old watches with pretty good care are indistinguishable for common people with new watch from AD after 1 month. The depreciation price is just not justified IMO. Only Rolex that has acceptable depreciation on its price.
    For example I bought 1 year old Seamaster Aqua Terra Cal 8500 for USD 2,500 while the new one in AD boutique cost USD 4300.

Buy your first one pre-owned, then save for something very special that you can only get from AD.

15. andnowwhat Feb 18, 2013

16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 18, 2013

17. andnowwhat Feb 18, 2013

Oh my god! Yes that did it! Thank you!!!

18. Drrich Feb 18, 2013

I think a lot of it just depends on your risk tolerance. I just always worry that I will have something that is counterfeit, or develops some huge problem 2 days after buying it, etc.

i am just the type that likes to have someone to talk Tom, and I would never buy a high end watch without a warranty from the company or an AD. But that's just me.....

19. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 19, 2013

Just as long as the serial is there, Omega will work on the watch. Just be sure it is there. Otherwise just look for a great condition piece that has been checked over.

20. andnowwhat Feb 19, 2013

I am looking at one from Motion in time via chrono24 and was wondering if any of you had experience whith them? Also this is the information I asked them to provide me, can you think of anything else? "Hello, I am interested in this watch but have a few questions. Can you provide me with additional pictures of the watch, including the box and papers. Also what does your warranty include? What is your return policy and do you guarantee the watches authenticity? And lastly are the serial numbers of the watch intact?"